What are you buying for hunting gear this year?

Mark from MA

NES Member
I'm getting my stuff together again. Just wondering what everyone else is adding to the gear.

I've got a lot of stuff for hunting and guns over the years, so its usually sell some stuff and add new stuff. I've sold a few older things, and few guns over the summer....now its time to buy.
Fall is my favorite time of year. Last year I got nothing, as most stuff was either stupidly priced or hard to get. So this year, I'm putting 2020 and 2021 money together.

New Glock 17 Gen 5 (oops, not hunting but I just bought it)

New Ruger American Bolt Action Stainless/Walnut Talo .22 for squirrel hunting.

New 28 Gauge Browning Citori Hunter Grade II for Bird season........which will be starting at Addieville soon.

New XOP Treestand to finish out my last mobile stick setup, this one packs nice and flat with the XOP sticks.

Licenses for NH and PA deer hunting.

Get some Filson Tin Jacket and pants. Best investment I ever made for upland birds. Get some additional Filson wax for treating that gear. I do it once a year and stay dry for the season and the thorns don't penetrate.

Bought new in box ladder stand from co worker for $60 was $160 new. He gave up hunting due to Lyme disease.

Some new broad heads just like to have a fresh back every year I like the NAP spitfires.

Will be also looking at some different muzzleloader sabots as the last to deer I shot was not happy with the Powerbelts expansion.

As far as everything else I always I think I am good will replace boots and clothing when I have to I don’t get wrapped up in buying expensive scent lock camo and such.

Last edited:
Ordered waterproof chaps from Dan’s hunting gear.
Has anyone used any of there gear?

Picked up a NIB Ithaca 100 20 gauge, won't be NIB for long. Didn't need it, of course, only wanted it. Otherwise I am pretty much set for guns/ammo/clothing/gear for the rest of my life, been accumulating for a long time.

New broadheads. Going 125 gr this year.

Trying a saddle this year... Cruzer XC with a predator platform. We'll see how that goes...

I was hoping to flip my Hunting Beast Gear sticks and get some of the 2 step LWCG ones. But no takers on the Beast sticks.

I'm going to replace my ropes and harness for my tree stand setup this year.

Had everything I needed last year but added a 28” barrel with a full set of Browning chokes to my gold hunter 12ga. Sold my ladder stand. Thinking of buying another ladder stand after season is over. Stupid move on my part right before the pandemic was full cycle.

Picked up a NIB Ithaca 100 20 gauge, won't be NIB for long. Didn't need it, of course, only wanted it. Otherwise I am pretty much set for guns/ammo/clothing/gear for the rest of my life, been accumulating for a long time.
I have a 100 on 12ga, love that gun and have been looking around for a 20. Did you buy it locally or online? Good luck with it!

I'm going to get another Summit Viper climber and another ladder stand. This time with the ladder stand, I'm going to use something on the slip joints to prevent it from making any metallic creaking noise. I've got an older ladder stand on the edge of my property that I don't use, and I'm thinking of placing a "dummy" in it using some old camo gear I've got, to entertain my overly interested neighbor.

When I started hunting about 9 years ago, i bought a lot of cheap gear to get me started.
Every year I try to buy one or two new nicer things before the season starts.

I love wearing muck boots but they don't me too great. Feet always hurt after a day in them.
I just ordered a pair of the Dryshod rubber boots to try.
Amazon product ASIN B086KY9X12View: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B086KY9X12/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_image_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Also might order a set of upland pants from Pyke gear... they seem to get getting really good reviews.

I love wearing muck boots but they don't me too great. Feet always hurt after a day in them.
I just ordered a pair of the Dryshod rubber boots to try.
I bought a second pair of Muck boots after having a good experience with the fit with the first. The second pair fit nothing like the first - different model, same size.

I bought a second pair of Muck boots after having a good experience with the fit with the first. The second pair fit nothing like the first - different model, same size.
Mucks seem to last me 2 years and then they Crack. But....I wear them for everything early fall through late spring including ice fishing. I get em on sale for about $100 at tractor supply every other year. They are warm and dry and last long enough to justify the 100 dollar price tag.

They always seem to fit good for a while them I swear they stretch And my foot moves around.

The dryshod boots are supposedly made by the guy who started muck boots and sold the company years ago.

either way they’ll be here Wednesday to try.

New broadheads. Going 125 gr this year.

Trying a saddle this year... Cruzer XC with a predator platform. We'll see how that goes...

I was hoping to flip my Hunting Beast Gear sticks and get some of the 2 step LWCG ones. But no takers on the Beast sticks.

I'm going to replace my ropes and harness for my tree stand setup this year.
I have the Cruzer XC. I'm only doing the saddle thing if I can climb a hemlock of which we have many climbable trees in my area. I might pack one stick just to get up to some limbs, but my idea of saddle hunting is carrying almost nothing. If Im going to deal with sticks and a platform I'm gonna sit in a stand which is more comfortable. I've sat a few saddle sits and its not that comfortable for me. And shooting a a bow out of it......not super easy.

Right now I've got millenium sticks and XOP long sticks for my setups.

Nothing. Have had all I need for gear to get me through small game season through deer season for years.
If I gun hunted only from the ground, I would have had all my gear 25 years ago. It doesnt take that much in time or commitment to gear up for that type of hunting.

The archery/treestand thing is where it all gets 1000% more complicated. Lot of guys know that, dont want to commit either time or money, and stay away......but I see WAY more deer in archery ever than in gun season. Way better bucks too, while the rut is in. And the small deer I want to let go...never see me, walk right under me. If I was on the ground....I'd be fxcking things up.

For us treeclimbers and bowhunters there's always something newer, lighter and better and more packable on the market. Or you always want another setup so you can have additional spots. Id say in about 5 years I'll be a ground only hunter again, just because I'm getting to the point where climbing around in trees is not that easy anymore. Nor am I at the point where I really give a shxt anymore about working my ass off for a deer. Been there done that.

If I gun hunted only from the ground, I would have had all my gear 25 years ago. It doesnt take that much in time or commitment to gear up for that type of hunting.

Truth.
I am 100% on the ground and gear for hunting on the ground doesn’t change much year to year. My big addition for this season is a Redcamp alcohol stove. It will be lighter and quieter than my JetBoil flash that I have been using. It’s hard to beat a warm beverage or a warm rehydrated meal on those really cold days.

Bob

8B92BFD8-04A9-4BE4-B740-09A2C560032D.jpeg

Truth.
I am 100% on the ground and gear for hunting on the ground doesn’t change much year to year. My big addition for this season is a Redcamp alcohol stove. It will be lighter and quieter than my JetBoil flash that I have been using. It’s hard to beat a warm beverage or a warm rehydrated meal on those really cold days.

Bob

View attachment 522114
Bob,

Nothing better than that. I have a Jetboil type stove, and when I'm gun hunting from the ground I always take it with me. Sometimes those meals or hot beverage really makes a difference and keeps you hanging in there.

Looking at the Surefire flashlights. I dropped my cheapo in Maine last week so it went dim (not completely broken). Two guys had good quality lights as we tracked a bear after dark. I don't want to get caught short again.

Basically everything. First year going after turkey so I scooped a cheap and terrible Turkish 12ga (will upgrade if I decide I like the whole hunting thing). Camo everything, a turkey vest with a sweet seat (why don’t more jackets come with built-in seat cushions?!?)
Hunting loads were the most difficult to find, but it worked out. Now I just need some calls, some luck, and maybe a turkey.

I only bought a few things, a camo mesh vest & trucker hat for the warm days of early season duck. A couple pairs of light gloves that I wear the majority of the season unless it's real cold out.

Hopefully a new bow, doubtful it'll be this year though. I wanted to do some bow season, but it just aint happening. Luckily for me, I have extensive bow experience, I've just never moved that over to hunting.

New aider. I use climbing sticks and a hang on stand for more mobility, the aider (a rope ladder basically) I bought last year while very nice and rugged didn't have big enough loops for my boots and I found myself always fishing to get into the step on the descent.

Truth.

Bob

My dad is jealous every time I use my Esbit stove and make a hot coffee while deer hunting. Its awesome what a hot cup of coffee will do to keep you warm in the woods. My dad always gives me crap for carrying so much in my pack so I dont make him a coffee.
I bring a large med kit, 2 tourniquets, esbit stove, large knife, An MRE, fire starting gear, 2 life straws. 2 flashlights, a Lensatic compass plus all my hunting gear in the pack. I also carry a GP100 .357 with two speedloaders and my Ruger Gunsite scout .308 with 20 extra cartridges. Its probably over the top but I don't care.

Just got some new strings for a bow I need to set up and a stabilizer. I can’t justify anything else, well besides a 15hp outboard for a duck boat that was given to me, I don’t even duck hunt anymore but I’ve almost sunk a couple canoes with 2 deer 2 dudes and gear so the boat will replace the canoes for marsh hunts

Adding to the list. I need to find another goretex ballcap for those days with possible precip. I lost my old one, and realized I really missed having it last season. And I want to pick up a smaller e-caller that's easier to stuff into a pack.

Truth.

Bob

View attachment 522114
I've had one of those redcamp stoves sitting in the box. Just got around to playing with it, and it doesn't seal. The cap cannot screw on with the o-ring installed.

Back
Top Bottom