• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

What are you buying for hunting gear this year?

I've had one of those redcamp stoves sitting in the box. Just got around to playing with it, and it doesn't seal. The cap cannot screw on with the o-ring installed.

Mine screws down snug.

The cap is two pieces. The damper snaps on the cap. If you pop the damper off of the cap you should be able to screw the cap down tight. I bet that the damper is just spinning on the cap.

I never checked to see if it leaks because I carry a small fuel bottle and only put in enough fuel in to heat the amount of water I want and I let it burn out so it’s always empty when I put it away.

Also keep in mind that they are very sensitive when it comes to wind so I use a Vargo wind screen which is a very light aluminum wind screen.

Bob

Hopefully a new bow, doubtful it'll be this year though. I wanted to do some bow season, but it just aint happening. Luckily for me, I have extensive bow experience, I've just never moved that over to hunting.

New aider. I use climbing sticks and a hang on stand for more mobility, the aider (a rope ladder basically) I bought last year while very nice and rugged didn't have big enough loops for my boots and I found myself always fishing to get into the step on the descent.
Picked up the new bow today at ccgw, props to the owner out there- he's a great guy and a real help this afternoon, one of the few purchases I've been 100% happy with.
New aider arrived early this week, haven't tried it yet, but I can immediately tell I will be happier with it this year.

Mine screws down snug.

The cap is two pieces. The damper snaps on the cap. If you pop the damper off of the cap you should be able to screw the cap down tight. I bet that the damper is just spinning on the cap.

I never checked to see if it leaks because I carry a small fuel bottle and only put in enough fuel in to heat the amount of water I want and I let it burn out so it’s always empty when I put it away.

Also keep in mind that they are very sensitive when it comes to wind so I use a Vargo wind screen which is a very light aluminum wind screen.

Bob
It's as if the o-ring is preventing the threads from grabbing. Without the o-ring in the cap, the cap screws down. I ordered a replacement stove.

It's as if the o-ring is preventing the threads from grabbing. Without the o-ring in the cap, the cap screws down. I ordered a replacement stove.

This is my complete setup and it weighs in at 7.5 oz compared to my JetBoil flash which weighs in at 1lb 6oz. The bent piece of round aluminum stock is cup support.

9682C2E0-EED6-494C-9B4D-C03B30522B63.jpeg

3B97E0CC-D500-43FD-9169-18CB34AF6F7C.jpeg

Only purchase I needed this year is a .243 Winchester single shot for my son. It will be his first deer rifle. We're good for small game from last year.

Hopefully he can break my family's curse. Took my daughter out last year and we saw squat. Went out myself and saw squat. He seems to bring decent if not good luck.

Took him out with his .410 (that lasted a year, and now he's stolen my 20ga SxS) last year and every time, we'd see grouse and rabbit tracks. Never able to get a shot, but we at least saw them.

XOP came out with some very compact side stackable premium short sticks, so I bought a set of 4 for 130 bucks. Maybe Ill use those for the saddle, they look like they will pack nice and only weigh 8 pounds for all 4.

When I started hunting about 9 years ago, i bought a lot of cheap gear to get me started.
Every year I try to buy one or two new nicer things before the season starts.

I love wearing muck boots but they don't me too great. Feet always hurt after a day in them.
I just ordered a pair of the Dryshod rubber boots to try.
Amazon product ASIN B086KY9X12View: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B086KY9X12/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_image_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Also might order a set of upland pants from Pyke gear... they seem to get getting really good reviews.

Went fishing on the Green River on Sunday and discovered my Under Armor boots leak like a submarine with a screen door. Took your recommendation and ordered the all rubber ViperStop. Not in the least bit concerned about snakes, don’t want to tear the neoprene when trudging through the brush.

just bought another spy point micro game camera and a few more life lines from hunter safety systems for two other ladder stands I have this year.

Back
Top Bottom