What Are These LE Sigs Worth?

Len-2A Training

Instructor
Instructor
NES Life Member
NES Member
This is NOT AN OFFER TO PURCHASE, just trying to get some ideas from Sig fans.

What do you think is a fair price for Sig 229 & 239 DAO LEO trade-in guns, given the following info?

- Guns are/should be pre-1998 vintage, will not have any "MA civilian garbage mods" on them.

- Gun finish is fairly beat according to the PD Armorer (good friend), with finish worn off and dings on frame and slides.

- They need to be gone over and springs, etc. replaced.

- They are DAO, with 12# trigger pulls!

- Sig is not as "friendly" as Glock! I spoke to them yesterday. They will ONLY refinish the barrel/slide for $100. Their "checkup deluxe" that replaces worn parts or springs is $125! Plus return shipping is $35. Total refurb (EXCLUDING FRAME, they won't refinish it) is $260! [Somehow I think a decent gunsmith could do this and have the whole gun refinished for a lot less $.]

I have fired a few Sigs, but don't own any, so I have no idea of value, services available, who's a Sig Armorer, etc.

These guns will be traded in bulk (~30) to an FFL on a swap for new (probably M&P .45s) guns by the PD, so none are for sale individually, etc. Just trying to get some idea what the value is, to help the PD get the best deal possible on their trade. [They were offered $300 for the 229s and $275 for the 239s as is by one FFL towards the cost of M&Ps.]

Jim at Four Seasons is a certified Sig armorer. I have talked with him many times and had him do work on my two P220s. He's a great guy and loves Sigs. I would talk to him about it if I were you. He's in every friday.

I would probably not spend more than $300 on the initial purchase per gun because once you factor in the cost of the refurb you are over the price of an equivalent good used Sig.

Looking at Four Seasons used list a good used Sig (never seen anything but good ones at Four Seasons) runs between $500 and $800 depending on caliber and finish.

And I have no affiliation with Four Season other than leaving my money there on a regular basis.

Sorry, I forgot to mention that they are .40S&W and come with 3 hi-cap mags. Unsure if they are "LE/Mil" marked or "free market, pre-ban" mags as I never asked and didn't take a look at them.

I admit that my interest in getting one went South when I was told that they were 12# DAO!!

I know Jim at FS, he's also a member here on NES but doesn't post often. I initially talked with Carl about getting this trade deal, but he's not a S&W LE Dealer and thus couldn't touch it.

I'm starting to think that the deal the PD was offered may not be so bad. I was used to S&W (warranty repair free for life) and Glock ($45 gets the gun refurb'd and refinished). Sig's idea of "customer service" is obviously different and will effect the value in a big way.

Len, I don't know if Sig's customer service has changed lately,but I sent in a p229 to have a Nitron finish done and it took almost 4 months to get it back. This was maybe a year or so ago. Also, the wait time when calling CS is usually from 30 min. to an hour wait time[frown]

If you want to have it refinished check out CCR refinshing co. over on the Sig Forum, I had my p226 slide done in Cera-Hide "house black" and it looks awesome.

www.ccr-refinishing.com

Last edited:
The price they were quoted is fair. They will be put out at $550 for the 229 and $450 for 239 and they will not sell because they are DAO.

The PD should offer them to the guys that carry them first to see if there is interest.

If you find out where they end up, let me know. We revolver shooters don't mind DAO and I really like the 239s Finish means nothing to me.

Gary

Thanks for trying to get the PD a good deal and for looking out for our tax $.

That makes at least one person in this town.[rolleyes]

i own a sig

I have a sig 226. I agree that there customer service, if you can
reach them leaves something to be desired.
as far as their trade in goes, i think they are doing pretty good.

as for me i wouldn't own one in that condition, and i'm not a fan
of DAO. my 226 is not.

as for Jim at four seasons, i agree with the above comments
he worked on mine ( i bought it there) i was satisfied with hes
work.

JimB

Last year Carl had 50 9mm P226's from the Toledo Police department that he sold for $400.

They came with 2 17 round mags and the factory box numbered to the pistol.

Great guns, Jim changed the springs and checked it out and it's run perfect since. That was the best deal I ever saw on used Sigs in this state.

Sig's customer service is hard to deal with and nothing is for free. Guys on Sig forum are complaning about the finish on the refurbshed Sig slides coming off and just being sprayed on.

The PD should offer them to the guys that carry them first to see if there is interest.

Departments near me did that and found very few takers. These are probably the balance left over from the changeover.

If I were to pick one up, I'd leave it be and shoot the hell out of it. I'm not that fussy about the finish. The springs are probably fine for the most part. The vast majority of our department duty firearms were shot no more than 200 rounds a year, give or take a few rounds. Maybe I'd swap out the heavy trigger for something slightly lighter. If you try to restore the firearm to original condition, you will be near the pricing of a new firearm.

If you find out where they end up, let me know. We revolver shooters don't mind DAO and I really like the 239s Finish means nothing to me.

Gary

You need to understand how town budgets go. Any money brought into the PD has to (by law) go into the "general fund". ~76% of the money in "general fund" goes to the schools. When the PD asks for $$ to do anything, they generally don't get it.

Therefore they do a swap for new guns and only have to beg for the difference in cost. That's what the PD did and got approved (much to my surprise with no argument at Town Meeting).

So they may sell a couple to individual officers, but actually lose out on doing so.

I will probably get to know who gets the guns, so I will let folks know here when that happens.

You need to understand how town budgets go. Any money brought into the PD has to (by law) go into the "general fund". ~76% of the money in "general fund" goes to the schools. When the PD asks for $$ to do anything, they generally don't get it.

Therefore they do a swap for new guns and only have to beg for the difference in cost. That's what the PD did and got approved (much to my surprise with no argument at Town Meeting).

So they may sell a couple to individual officers, but actually lose out on doing so.

I will probably get to know who gets the guns, so I will let folks know here when that happens.

I was on a Town Finance committee Len. I totally understand the pit falls of Municipal finance.

I admit that my interest in getting one went South when I was told that they were 12# DAO!!

I can't see much of a market for them if that's the case. I thought the DAOs were some where in the single digit pounds!

Gary,

You have my sympathy!!

I once thought about it, spent a few hours talking to a friend who had served on the Fin Comm and decided never to go there! [wink]

THREAD DRIFT

It is the most thankless job in the world but I did learn a lot about the following:
1. How to do creative budgeting so the PD would be able to get their new guns.
2. How to silence whiners
3. How to convince someone they really will not die if they don't grant the FD the additional money
4. How to duck and cover after the above.[smile]

Back
Top Bottom