• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

What are the laws regarding out of state sales of long guns?

dixidawg

NES Member
What is required for me (Ma resident) to sell a shotgun or bolt rifle to someone in NH or Maine. Can I do a face to face sale? If yes, what paperwork, if any, is required? Do I need to go through an FFL? If yes, in what state? My state? The buyers home state?

Thanks!

What is required for me (Ma resident) to sell a shotgun or bolt rifle to someone in NH or Maine. Can I do a face to face sale?
No
Do I need to go through an FFL?
All interstate sales require a FFL.
If yes, in what state?
Generally, for long guns, it doesn't matter.

But you're in MA, where nonresidents cannot buy guns unless they are FFLs. This means your firearm needs to find its way to another state before your nonresident can buy it. Most obvious would be they state of residence, but that's not strictly required.

Easiest is going to be to drive to a NH or Maine FFL, meet the buyer, and do the transfer via the FFL. You cannot transfer face to face per federal law and can’t use a MA FFL due to MA state law.

No eFA10 to do if you transfer via FFL out of state (physically cannot fill it out).

only legal way to do it is either FFL to FFL, or you bring it to a FFL (in the home state of the buyer) in ME or NH who is willing to do the transfer.

If you were in another state, the buyer could come to MA and do the transfer at a MA FFL, but the in aftermath of the 1992 Simon's Rock shooting, non residents can't buy a long arm in MA and take it home.... something you are allowed to do under Federal Law

Many states allow the sale/transfer of a long arm by a FFL to a non resident, providing the buyer is able to possess the gun in their home state

MA is not one of those states ( again Simon's Rock)

Easiest is going to be to drive to a NH or Maine FFL, meet the buyer, and do the transfer via the FFL. You cannot transfer face to face per federal law and can’t use a MA FFL due to MA state law.
I've bought a few guns from MA residents and met them at Affordable Firearms in Pelham, NH. From what I've been told, though, Bob Williams has retired and I don't know if he sold the business. Another convenient on the border place is Gene Rochette's Stateline Guns, Ammo & Archery on Rte 125 in Plaistow, NH.

I've bought a few guns from MA residents and met them at Affordable Firearms in Pelham, NH. From what I've been told, though, Bob Williams has retired and I don't know if he sold the business. Another convenient on the border place is Gene Rochette's Stateline Guns, Ammo & Archery on Rte 125 in Plaistow, NH.
There is still a gun shop on 38 above True Value, it is a ghost of its former self, but it does exist and with limited hours during the week... something like 4 to 7 some days

What is required for me (Ma resident) to sell a shotgun or bolt rifle to someone in NH or Maine.

Can I do a face to face sale? Only if you want to go to federal pound me in the ass prison.
If yes, what paperwork, if any, is required? See above, so I guess the paper work you would need is to write letters to your friends that you're going away for a while.

Do I need to go through an FFL? Yes if you want to maintain your butt virginity.
If yes, in what state? My state? The buyers home state? Easiest for you is to properly store the long gun for transport and drive to an FFL in the buyers home state. Assuming their home state is NH, ME or VT which are 2A friendly. If not a 2A friendly destination, then just drop it off at your FFL and have them ship it to the buyer's FFL

Must go through an FFL if there is a residency mismatch. An FTF doesn't work under any circumstance per federal law because of that.

Assuming a free state for the buyer you can bring a rifle or shotgun to any other free state dealer and do a transfer.

As an example, theoretically an MA resident could bring a rifle to an NH FFL and the NH FFL could transfer it to a ME resident (the guy actually buying it) no problem, right there in the shop.

Paperwork... when using an FFL? Bring your current drivers license or state ID to the dealer conducting the transfer. Get a receipt from FFL for the intake of the gun, Someone pays the transfer fee (you or the buyer etc). Done.

Must go through an FFL if there is a residency mismatch. An FTF doesn't work under any circumstance per federal law because of that.

Assuming a free state for the buyer you can bring a rifle or shotgun to any other free state dealer and do a transfer.

As an example, theoretically an MA resident could bring a rifle to an NH FFL and the NH FFL could transfer it to a ME resident (the guy actually buying it) no problem, right there in the shop.

Paperwork... when using an FFL? Bring your current drivers license or state ID to the dealer conducting the transfer. Get a receipt from FFL for the intake of the gun, Someone pays the transfer fee (you or the buyer etc). Done.
That is good news. A lot more NH FFL’s closer to me than Maine FFL’s.

Thanks!

Looking thru all the threads here I was at the Kittery trading post today and saw a shotgun I wanted they told me it was legal to buy in maine and bring it home to Mass as long as I had a valid LTC and I register it on the Ma portal …looking thru the laws im not seeing it it’s only a 2 shot barrel and not required to be on the queens list though does this sound right?

Looking thru all the threads here I was at the Kittery trading post today and saw a shotgun I wanted they told me it was legal to buy in maine and bring it home to Mass as long as I had a valid LTC and I register it on the Ma portal …looking thru the laws im not seeing it it’s only a 2 shot barrel and not required to be on the queens list though does this sound right?
The "list" doesn't apply to rifles or shotguns. If it's not an AW it's basically good to go.

They didn’t lie.

Wtf is a 2 shot barrel? Do you mean a double barrel shotgun?

only legal way to do it is either FFL to FFL, or you bring it to a FFL (in the home state of the buyer) in ME or NH who is willing to do the transfer.

If you were in another state, the buyer could come to MA and do the transfer at a MA FFL, but the in aftermath of the 1992 Simon's Rock shooting, non residents can't buy a long arm in MA and take it home.... something you are allowed to do under Federal Law

Many states allow the sale/transfer of a long arm by a FFL to a non resident, providing the buyer is able to possess the gun in their home state

MA is not one of those states ( again Simon's Rock)

Years ago I found an AR15 at a Mass gun show. I didn't understand the nuances at the time, but the FFL who had it was MA based, so he and I walked over to a CT based FFL, he transferred the firearm to the CT FFL, and I had to take posession of it at the CT FFL's place of business (in CT), (with corresponding paperwork).

What a crazy patchwork quilt of laws we operate under.

Back
Top Bottom