What are our local LEO-issued calibers?

LEOs, what caliber(s) are you allowed to carry? Multiple responses possible.

Votes: 2 3.6%
  • 9mm

Votes: 21 38.2%

Votes: 6 10.9%

Votes: 31 56.4%

Votes: 20 36.4%
  • 10mm

Votes: 1 1.8%
  • other not listed

Votes: 2 3.6%

• Total voters
Since the military I have had a dozen 45's. I find the glock21 the best and smoothest 45 I have ever fired. Top that off with a 230 gn Speer gold dot with nickle plated brass and you could stop a charging giraffe at 30 yrds. Its the equivalent of hitting something with a cinder block at 850-900 ft a second.

Im not a LEo but if I were I'd carry a glock 21. Nothing else will stop the bad guy from getting a shot or two or three off before he realizes that he's just been hit by a car doing 900 ft a second. IMHO.

Since the military I have had a dozen 45's. I find the glock21 the best and smoothest 45 I have ever fired. Top that off with a 230 gn Speer gold dot with nickle plated brass and you could stop a charging giraffe at 30 yrds. Its the equivalent of hitting something with a cinder block at 850-900 ft a second.

Im not a LEo but if I were I'd carry a glock 21. Nothing else will stop the bad guy from getting a shot or two or three off before he realizes that he's just been hit by a car doing 900 ft a second. IMHO.

Maybe so, but the 45acp was designed because the British 38 couldn't stop the drug crazed Zulu tribesmen of the time. Browning came up with the 230gn acp which stopped them in their tracks. Personally, I dont believe a 9 which is really a short 38 will stop the other guy from shooting back.

The 40 was a disaster as far as I'm concerned. I had so many miss fires with mine because of the kick and not holding it exactly right that I lost count. Finally one day the first shot out of the silo jammed and about 10 minutes later I owned an M&P.

Put your hands on a Glock 21 and you will probably never look back. A little heavy at exactly 2lbs loaded with 13 rds but that shouldn't bother you young strong guys.

Westwood - Gen 4 G21 Federal +p. Chief changed from Gen 3 G17 147gr Speer 9mm. I shoot the G21 fine, but prefer the 9mm due to my other guns being Glocks in 9mm (compatibility-all my spare mags are G17 mags). I carry off duty either a G19 or a G17, but sometimes a G26, all of which are my own. That G21 is a brick!

Maybe so, but the 45acp was designed because the British 38 couldn't stop the drug crazed Zulu tribesmen of the time. Browning came up with the 230gn acp which stopped them in their tracks. Personally, I dont believe a 9 which is really a short 38 will stop the other guy from shooting back.

The 40 was a disaster as far as I'm concerned. I had so many miss fires with mine because of the kick and not holding it exactly right that I lost count. Finally one day the first shot out of the silo jammed and about 10 minutes later I owned an M&P.

Put your hands on a Glock 21 and you will probably never look back. A little heavy at exactly 2lbs loaded with 13 rds but that shouldn't bother you young strong guys.

[rolleyes]

tenor.gif

The 40 is an emasculated 10MM, but I don't understand how "the kick" of your 40 caused miss fires.
Range owner told me that I wasn't holding high enough, squeezing grip hard enough.
I told him that I didn't want to have to think about how I held the gun. If I was holding it upside down by my pinky I wanted it to fire. I tried everything and it jammed at least once per mag, sometimes two or three times per mag.

From all military/law enforcement studies I have read there is technical term that causes the misfires and it is called "Sissy Hands"...;)
Maybe so. It definitely turned me against the 40 for a number of years. I will soon find out though if it was me or the gun since I just picked up a new M&P 40 Performance Center. Figured I give the caliber one more try.

Range owner told me ... I told him that I didn't want to have to think about how I held the gun...

I remember when Glocks became relatively popular among LEO, and the number of missfires due to improper handling, fear of trigger, etc. I suggested those LEOs learn to properly hold
the pistol, and keep their booger-hooks off the bang-switch until they wanted the Glock to make a boom.

Maybe so. It definitely turned me against the 40 for a number of years. I will soon find out though if it was me or the gun since I just picked up a new M&P 40 Performance Center. Figured I give the caliber one more try.

All kidding aside I still like the forty. I got in 1994 with a G 27 and a Sig 229. Both still going strong. An added benefit is people going back to nine and selling .40 at great prices. Also picked up a kel-tec .40 that is FUN to shoot. So yes with all the advancements in 9mm ammo is it worth the extra recoil??? I guess it goes back to whatever you are comfortable with and shoot best.

Shot my 40SW Performance Center Shield today and was really impressed. Actually love the gun. Hitting to the left as usual, googled it and thats a big complaint about the M&P's in all calipers. BUT! I'll figure it out. Not enough finger or something. Cycled great, bit of a problem dropping mag, had to push up and push the mag release button to get it to drop but it may be the cheap mexican ammo.

Ordering some Redding dies and some Speer TMJ and we will see how they work out. All in all though, I'm liking it. Bit of a muzzle flip but good 2-3" group's left of bullseye @ 30'.

If you want to mimic the PD for shooting. You need to miss 70% of your shots.

"This executive summary was a discussion of why the FBI should change from using the .40 caliber S&W cartridge back to the 9mm Luger cartridge.
The interesting part of the summary is comment number 7: “LEO’s miss between 70 and 80 percent of the shots fired during a shooting incident”.

LEO's Miss 70 - 80 Percent of Shots Fired - Building 365

If you want to mimic the PD for shooting. You need to miss 70% of your shots.

"This executive summary was a discussion of why the FBI should change from using the .40 caliber S&W cartridge back to the 9mm Luger cartridge.
The interesting part of the summary is comment number 7: “LEO’s miss between 70 and 80 percent of the shots fired during a shooting incident”.

LEO's Miss 70 - 80 Percent of Shots Fired - Building 365
I remember talking with a New Jersey state cop about the 9's. He said that in all the testing they did they found out that the average shot a cop took was between 7 and 10 ft and that 2-5 shots were fired.
He said that he preferred the 45acp but they carried 18 shot 9's because thats what the bad guys were carrying.

Back
Top Bottom