• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

What are my rifle options with these criteria?

Here goes:

- less than $500
- semiautomatic
- chambered in a cartridge that's easy to find and cheap (7.62?)
- has the ability to have hi-cap magazines
- shortish and lightweight

I know this may be a tall order, but I bet there are some rifles that fit this category.

Last edited:
Ruger 10/22

Yes, you were probably thinking a center fire rifle. For center rifle, large capacity, semi-auto rifles, given the craziness right now, your wish list can't be met. You'll have a hard time finding an AK for less than $500 and center fire rifle ammunition that used to be cheap isn't anymore.

You might have found a Suomi M31 for $499 two weeks ago. It's short but not lightweight But everything is up right now so I don't know.

wm_1670866.jpg

I'm in the Commiewealth of Marxichusetts, unfortunately.

I'd really like a poor-man's AK47, but I don't know what options there are.

unconverted(less money) or converted(more money) 5.45x39 saiga. with your budget is most liekly unconverted. this is by no means poor man's AK - saigas are good quality guns unlike century stuff that is least expensive.
or if 25 cents per round is not too much you can go with either 7.62x39 or even .223
i realize that .223 pre-ban hi-cap mags are not as readily available as let's say other 2 AK calibers but they are out there.
worst case scenario you can get and install mag-block that will make your 223 saiga take ar-15 mags as well as AK mags.

if you want shoot real cheap - 4-5 cents per round, then you go with ruger 10/22. 10/22 is also can be had for as little as $250-300-ish depending on the model.

i would advise against SKS. pre-ban hi-caps are much tougher to find than AKs and gun itself is bulkier and heavier than an AK.

Last edited:
Ruger 10/22

Yes, you were probably thinking a center fire rifle. For center rifle, large capacity, semi-auto rifles, given the craziness right now, your wish list can't be met. You'll have a hard time finding an AK for less than $500 and center fire rifle ammunition that used to be cheap isn't anymore.

Yup, what I was going to say - Ruger 10/22. Not center fire but ammo is plentiful and cheap, has pre-ban large capacity mags available, and is lightweight.

762 is the caliber not the model# of the SKS. It's 7.62x39. The same as the AK47. I think the SKS would be a good choice. You may be able to find an M1 carbine but a good one is probably over your price limit. The Cetme would also normally be within your price range but right now the whole country has gone insane and people are buying anything they can get their hands on no matter the cost. The requirement for a high capacity magazine rules out all the WWII rifles except the Stg44 which at about 17K is just a bit out of your price range.

I'm in the Commiewealth of Marxichusetts, unfortunately.

I'd really like a poor-man's AK47, but I don't know what options there are.

Saiga Sportster in 7.62x39. Easily converted to the look and feel of an AK. Has a real AK receiver made in Mother Russia. Maybe $350 for the rifle and another $100-$150 to convert it. Or just do the bullet guide mod and use AK high cap mags without converting. Just be careful of 922R compliance so you don't get your ass in a crack.

Converted trigger group with pistol grip and bullet guide modified low cap magazine shown. High caps snap right in ......

379543422.jpg

You can go more traditional with some Russian wood furniture. When I find some Russian red furniture I'll complete it. Right now the original furniture is fine. Total invested about $450 and it's a good shooter. Eats everything I've run through it and it's reasonably accurate.

Last edited:
Saiga Sportster in 7.62x39. Easily converted to the look and feel of an AK. Has a real AK receiver made in Mother Russia. Maybe $350 for the rifle and another $100-$150 to convert it. Or just do the bullet guide mod and use AK high cap mags without converting. Just be careful of 922R compliance so you don't get your ass in a crack.

Converted trigger group with pistol grip......

View attachment 47725

That looks like exactly what I want. Now where could I find one? Also, I don't want to play footsie with federal offenses. If I use hi-cap mags it has to be way within the bounds of the law.

That looks like exactly what I want. Now where could I find one? Also, I don't want to play footsie with federal offenses. If I use hi-cap mags it has to be way within the bounds of the law.

Call Brian over at B&K in South Natick. He may have one lying around. He's also done some group buys for this rifle. He's also a GREAT GUY! to do business with and has a shop full of some awesome rifles.

To stay legal buy a kit from Carolina Shooters (that's a #6 kit in the picture). It's 2 to 3 hours to do the conversion (YouTube is your friend) and buy a bullet guide kit with the #6 kit and you're GTG.

Last edited:
wait until the panic subsides, then buy an AK or better yet build it. People stretched their wallets to buy as much as possible, pretty soon they'll realize that they need to eat too.

vz-2008 while a good gun i would not put my money on it versus saiga.
saigas are everywhere, have tons of accessories and mods available for, and if you get vz you would be getting a bare rifle with very limited accessories at best.
i saw one vz on gunshow in plymouth 2 weeks back and guy was asking for it $700-ish. i tried talking to him about knocking the price down a bit and his reply was this is the only vz here and good luck finding another one in mass. he was gonna through a free sling as insensitive but i passed it for obvious reason. although i would love to have it in my collection.

- - - Updated - - -

PLease, please let this be so!! this is an old pic. i now have twice as many and retirement is getting closer!!!! [laugh]

IMG_2628.jpg

n-i-i-i-ce!!!!

VZ-2008. 7.62x39, 30 rnd mags, shorter, lighter than an AK. A couple months ago they could be had for under $500.

This may be a better option since it would need no modifications like the Saiga would. The question remains, where to find one?

Also, it seems these are made by different companies and go by different names.

This may be a better option since it would need no modifications like the Saiga would. The question remains, where to find one?

Also, it seems these are made by different companies and go by different names.

The "real" version is the vz58. you can get these imported from Czechpoint for about double what you'll pay for the vz2008. The 2008 is built from vz58 parts kits by Century Arms. I have a vz2008 and it's great.

Yeah good luck finding one in the current environment. They were always at least $600-$700 in local gun stores. Lowest I saw them online was $399. I got mine at a show for ~$400 back in Sept. Now they're sold out everywhere.

Found a Norinco Hunter type I that takes x39 hi cap mags, and with milled receiver and stock ghost ring sights. The damage: $565 + 35 shipping + $25 transfer. I know, kinda sucks. But a solid addition to my small arsonal I hope.

Back
Top Bottom