• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

What are must haves for a good club?? Considering starting a club.

What are you're top priorities in a club

• Rifle range

Votes: 109 81.3%
  • Pistol range

Votes: 107 79.9%
  • Action pit

Votes: 65 48.5%
  • Archery

Votes: 12 9.0%
  • Steel Range

Votes: 73 54.5%
  • Clubhouse access

Votes: 23 17.2%
  • Amenities (bbq,firepit,seating,hangout)

Votes: 9 6.7%
  • Shotgun Range

Votes: 27 20.1%
  • Scheduled events

Votes: 13 9.7%

• Total voters
Rifle range is too generic.
100yd range, those are a dime a dozen. A staple of nearly any club.
200 and 300yd, now you are standing out
600yd you may have something rare. in MA i only know of devens (possible closed perm to civilians), and i think north redding.
>600yd you have something special.
Granby + Reading for 600yd.

If I want to shoot soda cans, I want to be able to shoot soda cans. If I want to shoot Twinkies or ChocoTacos, I want to be able to set up Twinkies and ChocoTacos.
issue usually is not with you wanting to shoot `em, but with you leaving them behind at the range in the anticipation for somebody else to clean it up.
not you personally, of course, but, it is the reality of why it gets forbidden.
plus potential injuries from ricochets, that leads to a blanket prohibition to bring on and use your own steel targets. as all people want freedoms, but most, once injured due to their own stupidity, really expect club insurance to cover their expenses. plus - 'why didn`t they warn me', etc.

I'd pay extra for action pits that you can reserve. Have to put some guardrails on it - amount of time, frequency, days of the week, etc. But if I could stick an 'appointment' on my calendar a week or two out that I know 100% I'll have the range to myself that would be a huge perk.

This is a great idea, but it would need proper guidance around it. I could see some people hogging all the available slots. I think 2 hour reservation is enough time.

Hopkinton has most of its pits with steel. They have a 2 with plate racks, and others with just hanging steel/gongs.
A dueling tree would be nice, but I think the upkeep on that would be tough.

They have a couple of silhouettes on the 100yd range.

The most important part of a club is governance. This could also be stated as "the most important thing is the people." Several previous posters have already mentioned this same point.

The most important part of the plan is whether you want to run a business where people pay you, and you are responsible for services. Or do you envision a non-profit where volunteers keep it going? Each of these models has some advantages, and some big disadvantages. If people are paying you, they won't volunteer to do anything. If it is all volunteers, then a few people will do real work, and most people still won't do anything.

All aspects of the actual facility will be determined by the people. If you run it, you will need to consider what will bring people in. If it is driven by volunteers, then the ones who work will build what they want, and everyone else will complain about it.

If it is a non-profit organization, it will need to have governing rules, which are essentially a constitution. No matter how carefully these rules are written, over time, small cliques will tend to take over. This happens to most clubs, and sometimes the results are fine, and sometimes not.
^1000% this^

Can I shoot through a cars windshield, or use a flame thrower?

What about a tank?

Seriously though, is want to be able to have action pits as mentioned as well as at least 300 yards rifle

A key question: Are you starting a non-profit club where the club is its own entity, or a club you own and sell memberships to?

Both can be great - but require completely different strategies and succession plans. If it has owners separate from the members, they are not really "members" but "customers" and things like boards of directors, elections, etc. are irrelevant.

A key question: Are you starting a non-profit club where the club is its own entity, or a club you own and sell memberships to?

Both can be great - but require completely different strategies and succession plans. If it has owners separate from the members, they are not really "members" but "customers" and things like boards of directors, elections, etc. are irrelevant.
Agree. A good business plan is a must. Pretty much everything else flows from that.

For the sake of the exercise let's say it's a non profit with board of directors etc

Like 20 bucks for 3-4 hour window or something like that? That's actually a good idea. Make it free to members who are there and ability to reserve it and pay little premium.
Also maybe $5-10 guest fee for non members would help too
A small fee means people would actually show up- even if its $5 or $10 an hour. Otherwise you'll just have folks reserving slots all the time and not using it. Highly discounted for members- or members get X slots per year with their membership or something to that effect.

Like 20 bucks for 3-4 hour window or something like that? That's actually a good idea. Make it free to members who are there and ability to reserve it and pay little premium.
Also maybe $5-10 guest fee for non members would help too
If you are going that route, Fogo to Google and type "florida gun ranges". Take a look at their websites.

They all have a similar model, most with several membership tiers where the lowest tier pay $5 to use the range per visit vs the higher tier that pays $0 per visit.

But, most also offer transfers (paid transfers), a gun store, classes, discounted ammo, full time RSO...

I am sure there is someone that wants to open a Gun store, let them rent a portion of the land for a gun store and that store could also serve members.

Or think about of a store you run that only does transfers and sells ammo, a lot of ammo.

Walk in, there is a counter to fill out paperwork and 10 pallets full of ammo. Maybe add powder to that. Members get a discount, everyone else pays normal prices. Like TSUSA.

That would be perfect.

Last edited:
op, you're getting an education in different personality types and shooting disciplines trying to co-exist for what they perceive to be the greater good of the group. each thinks they are right.

The most important part of a club is governance. This could also be stated as "the most important thing is the people." Several previous posters have already mentioned this same point.

The most important part of the plan is whether you want to run a business where people pay you, and you are responsible for services. Or do you envision a non-profit where volunteers keep it going? Each of these models has some advantages, and some big disadvantages. If people are paying you, they won't volunteer to do anything. If it is all volunteers, then a few people will do real work, and most people still won't do anything.

All aspects of the actual facility will be determined by the people. If you run it, you will need to consider what will bring people in. If it is driven by volunteers, then the ones who work will build what they want, and everyone else will complain about it.

If it is a non-profit organization, it will need to have governing rules, which are essentially a constitution. No matter how carefully these rules are written, over time, small cliques will tend to take over. This happens to most clubs, and sometimes the results are fine, and sometimes not.
This absolutely.

One thing I would add is to make sure you have a concrete, rock solid, land survey done and maintain the markers.

If you were going to start a club or improve a very basic club what are the top priorities you would want?
Have access to a small parcel of land (25-30 acres) in a remote setting.
Working with a very limited budget and manpower but I'd like some input on things I may not be thinking of also.
Why do you love or hate your current club and what would you do differently if given the choice.

Where is the remote setting. I have 5 clubs within 20 minutes of my home. I belong to 2 of them.

no mandatory / required working hours. If I'm already a paying member, I shouldn't have to work for free to clean up or serve burgers

no mandatory / required working hours. If I'm already a paying member, I shouldn't have to work for free to clean up or serve burgers
Some clubs simply would cease to operate if they didn't require some work hours from membership.

A BOD with no agendas and power trips and behind-the-scenes manipulations.
A BOD responsive to its members, period. A member owned club.
I belong to a club down here that is run by a cabal of good old boys who feel like gods.
A meeting next month to change the bylaws has me ready to turn in my card at the meeting.
One club back in MA where I lived lost a heck of a training program when a BOD member, tipsy at the bar, told one of our instructors "we don't need you".
Which brings me to "no bar".

Would you have an issue paying a little more to not participate say $25-50 per year? Or should the yearly dues be higher and offer a discount/credit to members who do help?

Some clubs simply would cease to operate if they didn't require some work hours from membership.
I wouldn't mid paying a little extra to avoid the required hours. I only go shooting maybe a couple times a year, so having to volunteer 40 - 50 hours a year on top of my membership fees doesn't make sense to me, just my personal take on it

Would you have an issue paying a little more to not participate say $25-50 per year? Or should the yearly dues be higher and offer a discount/credit to members who do help?
I wouldn't have any issue paying a little extra to avoid the yearly work requirements. I hardly ever go shooting, so working for free at at a club doesn't suit my situation. Most of the clubs around me require something like 40 - 50 hours a year of volunteer time, and it doesn't make sense since I would only actually go shooting maybe 3 - 4 hours a year.

I disagree, there is a lot of crap that need to be done to keep a club running, cleaning, mowing, fixing, building. If you are going to outsource this by hiring people to do the work the costs skyrocket. Are you trying to build an affordable low key club, or recreate the Dallas Gun Club and I've been there, it's a nice place, but I can't afford it. I currently pay $200 per year and a couple of hours work on the club.

Oh, you need a numbers guy to , watch the money, collect the dues, pay the taxes, electricity and not steal the money. I've been a member at a club where money just disappeared. You need financial statement published yearly, audits every now and then.

I disagree, there is a lot of crap that need to be done to keep a club running, cleaning, mowing, fixing, building. If you are going to outsource this by hiring people to do the work the costs skyrocket. Are you trying to build an affordable low key club, or recreate the Dallas Gun Club and I've been there, it's a nice place, but I can't afford it. I currently pay $200 per year and a couple of hours work on the club.

Oh, you need a numbers guy to , watch the money, collect the dues, pay the taxes, electricity and not steal the money. I've been a member at a club where money just disappeared. You need financial statement published yearly, audits every now and then.
maybe have a tiered membership program.
Guys who have the time to donate 40 hours a year of free time pay $150
Guys who who don't have the free time pay $250

Gonna need a bigger price difference than that unless you think members will value their labor at $2.50 an hour

Ya I was thinking of something like this. 40-50hrs is insane and unreasonable to expect out of everyone but man those clubs must be in great shape lol.
I was thinking like 8hrs or 2 events or you'd be charged a non participating fee that gets tacked onto next year's dues. Prob something like $100yr $50 initiation fee and then $25-50 non participating to start.
As the club grows and gets nicer then decide if keeping a low membership number with higher dues is better then more members with lesser and find a balance etc.

I'm probably pointing out the obvious that you've already considered but do you know what your fixed cost per year would be as a non-profit. This is assuming that the land is already paid for that the taxes are reasonable and the zoning allows this. I'm not trying to be a Debbie Downer here but I don't know how the financials would work anywhere in the Northeast where land is at such a premium and the tax rates are so high. 1 NIMBY of an abbutter or someone a mile away that punches a hole in their vinyl siding and says that it was one of your stray rounds that caused it will have you tied up in court for years and the legal fees will bankrupt the organization. The insurance costs alone would be prohibitive. Maybe somebody that's on an existing board could chime in and tell us what the insurance policy on the property, liability insurance and most of all insurance to indemnify anyone on the board of directors costs. Could you start off as a pistol club only on an indoor range build up some membership and interest and then build a rifle range on the property later?

Gonna need a bigger price difference than that unless you think members will value their labor at $2.50 an hour
well at most clubs, labor is valued at less since they require work hours on top of a yearly membership fee.
But the point is still the same. If you don't have the free time to donate, then you pay a little extra than those that have the time to work for free.

Last edited:
Are you trying to build an affordable low key club, or recreate the Dallas Gun Club ?

Low key but decent place to shoot and have small events etc definitely not big and keep it limited to 1-200 members total I would think.
Oh, you need a numbers guy to , watch the money, collect the dues, pay the taxes, electricity and not steal the money.
Yes that would be taken care of and file legit tax return etc.

Back
Top Bottom