• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

What AR do you own and why

I bought a used AR from a fellow member here just to get me into the AR world. Frankford Arsenal lower, Bushmaster upper. Not sure what everything else is but the gun runs beautifully. Had issues at first that I traced to bad mags. 100% reliable since getting quality mags and Magpul followers. Most rounds fired without cleaning is about 400 I think. It is bone-stock A2. I went that route instead of building my own because I knew next to nothing about the AR. Now that I know what makes her tick I might be looking to build another in the future.

The only AR I own is one I built. It has the following parts:

- VLTOR VIS rifle length upper
- 18" WOA SPR barrel
- DPMS lower
- Giesselle SSA trigger
- Young chromed BCG
- Battlecomp brake
- Ace skeleton stock
- Troy BUIS set
- ACOG TA01N

I decided I wanted an AR that would be useful for many things but lean towards long range accuracy. I also wasn't finding any pre-built uppers that had what I wanted and I already had the stripped lower. So far, the thing has been problem free and has accomplished what I was after.

Odd... doesn't anyone else have an Anvil Arms lower and upper? I know we bought two hundred of them...

IIRC, I think I've got a DPMS bolt carrier & LPK in it, and I forget what barrel. White Oak, maybe?

Oh, why did I buy it? 'Cause it was inexpensive and it had this cool NES logo on it... [laugh]

It's been pretty darn reliable, too. Maybe two feed errors total. Total round count is less than 1000, though.

Odd... doesn't anyone else have an Anvil Arms lower and upper? I know we bought two hundred of them...

I raffled mine away to Glockstones.....

But I did just bring my new one mentioned earlier to range today. 200 flawless rounds and shoots insanely soft and flat. Feels the same as a .22lr conversion....only much LOUDER...

Bushmaster M4geryA2 bought it in 2001 fixed stock pinned mini-y comp.

I bought it because I didd't have an AR in my collection.My passion is for the Kalashnikov platform.

I have not put any rounds down range with it for 3 or 4 years but I have must of put 5 cases of South African .223 through it with out any issues and may have cleaned it 3 or so times.

Not a big fan of the AR

I'm running a Colt Lower with my own upper at the moment.
- Colt Upper
- DD 14.5" barrel with a mid-length gas system
- DD BCG
- JP rifle length tubular handguard

I've been using it for 2 months now and have put about 2k rounds through it. Typical session is around 400 rounds. I've not yet cleaned it yet either.

Previously, I was running a LMT Carbine upper and never had a problem with it.

The why, I could not find a pre-built and readily available upper in the configuration I wanted. I tried other rifles and found that I prefer the mid-length gas system and the rifle length tubular rails on a shorter barrel. I went with the 14.5" barrel for the novelty of having a total length of 16" with a BattleComp 1.5 pinned to it. The barrel is a government profile, so it's fairly light and stays accurate under sustained heavy fire. My original Colt was a carbine with a pencil barrel and I found that accuracy went to shit on a hot day after putting through a few hundred rounds.

Initially, I was going to upgrade my Colt upper to a free float rail system. But looking at the cost of a rail/labor versus buying a new one. I found a brand new LMT with a blemish on it, sold the other upper and came out ahead.

As others have said, get quality magazines. I was getting FTFs and thought it was the rifle. But after running it in a free state with PMags, the problems ceased. This is what happens when you can only legally own magazines manufactured pre-94. After a while, the springs wear out, followers wear, bodies dent, floor plates come off and feed lips go to shit.

Last edited:
Stag Arms, Model 3. It was well priced at the time and I like the flat top. I've put 750 rounds through it in one day without a single hiccup. I haven't had the change to fire it beyond 200 yds, but up to there, it's dead on.

I built one because I wanted to be able to customize it to my tastes.

DSA flat top upper
18" WOA SPR barrel
BattleComp 1.0 stainless
Young Mfg Chrome BCG
S&W M&P lower
DD LPK
Stag A2 stock

Only about 105 rounds through it since completing it, I need some quality magazines for sure, but it's accurate and a lot of fun to shoot.

Anvil Arms Lower (NES-1xx) - put a A2 butt stock and white oak A2 service rifle 20" upper on it. old school! it's a nice gun.

cost: $1k

DPMS 16" carbine with a few mods - mainly i swapped out the leaf blower comp for a YHM, pinned a collapsable stock all the way in, kights armament rails sys, troy BUIS and aimpoint. it's my zombie gun. i can beat the piss out of it. it's pretty accurate up to 300 yards with XM193 and i've grown attached to it. for the most part, i shoot it at 50 and 100 yards with silver .223 though. [wink]

cost: $1500, give or take $50 bucks...

the next one, i'll go HSLD to do my own comparison. but for now, i'm perfectly happy running them both.

Colt Match Target.

I'm no expert in the least, but I can say that I have put at least 500 rounds through the match target I have (A2) and haven't had a malfunction yet and it was purchased used.

I can put my ARs into three categories: training/defense, hunting/target, and high power. For training/defensive use, where round count is very high and reliability critical, I have Noveske and LaRue uppers. For hunting/target, I have one dedicated AR that has an 18-inch LaRue upper that is very accurate. For high power, I have a purpose-built upper from White Oak. All of these uppers are on lowers I have assembled myself. In my experience, the lower matters little assuming the dimensions are in spec. The only significant non-standard lower change I like is to replace the trigger. I like Geissele triggers.

Back
Top Bottom