• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

What AR-15 parts can I legally own without a LTC?

Okay, so here's the deal. I am in the process of getting my LTC yet. In the meantime I would like to start buying some parts for an AR-15 build. I know the lower receiver requires an FFL and therefore means I need a license to own it. I also know I can't own ammunition and magazines.

What about the upper receiver - can I get into trouble for owning one of these? What about a firing pin? Barrel? What about the parts for the lower assembly (I plan on buying a pre ban stripped lower receiver). Are the parts themselves illegal?

Any help is appreciated.

I am not sure. I know in MA you can't even have an empty .22 case legaly. I am not to sure I would push the issue. It might be in you best intrest to juat wait the few weeks.

Okay, so here's the deal. I am in the process of getting my LTC yet. In the meantime I would like to start buying some parts for an AR-15 build. I know the lower receiver requires an FFL and therefore means I need a license to own it. I also know I can't own ammunition and magazines.

What about the upper receiver - can I get into trouble for owning one of these? What about a firing pin? Barrel? What about the parts for the lower assembly (I plan on buying a pre ban stripped lower receiver). Are the parts themselves illegal?

Any help is appreciated.

You can own just about any parts you want. An upper, complete or otherwise, might as well be a screwdriver. Anyone can own one... Same with firing pins. Things you should NOT own, besides a lower, are ammo or ammo components and mags that hold more then 10 rounds.

Also, depending on what configuration you plan on building up on your lower, there is potential for "constructive possession" of an NFA item at some of the intermediate steps of assembly. This would only really come into play if you get a barrel with an OAL less then 16", taking into account any permanently attached muzzle device. If your gonna do an M4 style rifle, remember that real M4s have a 14.5" barrel without a permanent muzzle device. Owning that barrel and a lower equals an unregistered short barrel rifle, or 10 years and/or $250K and a lifetime ban on firearms!

Also keep in mind you might get some flack from others here about getting an unassembled preban lower without any proof it was ever assembled into a configuration that was ban in 1994. Considering its IMPOSSIBLE to tell for sure if thats legal in MA, I say go for it, but then I won't get whacked with the felony conviction if I'm wrong... Something to think about...

--EasyD

If you're planning on assembling a MA post-ban legal AR, you should be able to have anything but the stripped lower and mags as EasyD said. Anyone can buy a stock, trigger, firing pin, handle, barrel, sights, rails, upper, etc.

Just make 110% sure that when the day comes that you do start assembling everything you are in full compliance with the Mass laws or you could easily screw the pooch.

Put it this way,a 10 year old with a credit card and internet can order all the parts except for a lower.

But this is MA,and I would just wait until you get your license,unless of course it's a smokin deal that you just can't pass up.

Back
Top Bottom