What ammo you all carrying in your Glock 43?

Cuz

NES Member
Just wondering what those opting for the G43 are choosing to feed it.

Normally my 9mm preference is the Federal 115 gr +P+ JHP (9BPLE).
But, I'm thinking of switching to Federal HST 124 gr +P JHP. I've read the +P+ pressures may be a bit on the high side. Never worried about it in any other Glock before, but the 43 just seems a bit on the small side for excessive pressures. I've read lots of good things about the Federal HST ammo.

I'll most likely try them both out to see how they feel and cycle. Reliability is more important than anything else in this case.

I only use HST 124 or sometimes use PDX1 when im on a Budget..I have used both in the 43 and all was good. the 147 HST was a tad rough but that was the 1st time I shot 147..I like HST 124 in 50 round boxes but it seems like it's pretty hard to find these days.

I only use HST 124 or sometimes use PDX1 when im on a Budget..I have used both in the 43 and all was good. the 147 HST was a tad rough but that was the 1st time I shot 147..I like HST 124 in 50 round boxes but it seems like it's pretty hard to find these days.
I'd say almost impossible to find....and if you do give me a heads up please

If I had a 43 I would try to stoke it with Underwood +P+ 124 gr GDHP. I run that in my G19 and G17, also tested it in the P320 I just picked up. My G26 does not like it, though, I get off center primer hits occasional with it on the 2nd or 3rd round in the mag, its almost like it is doing something to the gun that stops the slide from going completely into battery every time. Maybe it is making the frame flex or something. This never happens with other ammo, only the Underwood load and Win RA9TA... (which is almost the same level of juice). So in my G26 I run Hornady Critical Duty 135gr +P, which I have a stash of.... it runs great with that.

-Mike

Just wondering what those opting for the G43 are choosing to feed it.

Normally my 9mm preference is the Federal 115 gr +P+ JHP (9BPLE).
But, I'm thinking of switching to Federal HST 124 gr +P JHP. I've read the +P+ pressures may be a bit on the high side. Never worried about it in any other Glock before, but the 43 just seems a bit on the small side for excessive pressures. I've read lots of good things about the Federal HST ammo.

I'll most likely try them both out to see how they feel and cycle. Reliability is more important than anything else in this case.

Personally I'd also hit Youtube for this. Go watch some ballistic tests and look up the specific ammo being run out of a G43.
The same brand of ammo which may be good in one caliber may not perform the same way in another.

Thanks for the info. I may have to take a look at Hornady ammo. Never much cared for them in the past.

Still deciding what mine likes best, I used to run light/hot stuff out of my short barrels, but it the seems the newer evidence supports using heavy rounds (147) out of shorties.

Still deciding what mine likes best, I used to run light/hot stuff out of my short barrels, but it the seems the newer evidence supports using heavy rounds (147) out of shorties.

124 works well in pretty much everything. I don't like 147s at all because they're not hot enough. I've wanted to try some of the HST +P 147s but I've only ever seen them once....

-Mike

I think the 124gr +p is the best overall "non-specialty" round for 9mm. The 115 is a bit light and the 147's are too slow.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I thought I saw some 124gr +p gold dot HP somewhere but I can't remember where at the moment. Gotta compare them to the federal HST.

124 gr HST standard pressure.

Most of the tests I've seen of +P expanded a bit more because of the greater velocity and as a result actually penetrated less.

I'll take a bit less expansion, a bit more penetration, less recoil and less wear on the gun, any day.

I've also got some Ranger T that I'll probably test for function and use at some point.

Last edited:
I've seen that recommendation to mix on a few forums.

What exactly does that mean???

Various bullets perform better or worse at different speeds. This is a particular consideration with barrels under 4", as you start dropping below the velocity for reliable performance with a lot of hollow points. The bullet used in the DPX performs most optimally when driven at around 1150fps. Too much slower and it won't expand reliably. Too much faster than it will over-expand. The faster end isn't a huge deal but it can lead to a slightly smaller expanded diameter. DPX clocks about 1175 from a 3" barrel, but goes a little fast out of a 4" (I use ASYM SDX in 4" barrels because it drives the same bullet at 1150 from that barrel length).

Various bullets perform better or worse at different speeds. This is a particular consideration with barrels under 4"...

Have you ever chrono'd your choice of carry ammo from your carry gun to verify the velocity? I have found that velocities vary widely between different guns even though the barrels are close to the same length.

Back
Top Bottom