What ammo shortage?

Yosemite Sam

NES Member
LOCAL
Thousands of Rounds of Ammo Found in Vacant House in Cohasset

Published Oct 8, 2020 at 8:15 PM

Several thousand rounds of live ammunition were found Monday in a vacant house in Cohasset, Massachusetts, according to police.

The Cohasset Police Department and the state police bomb squad responded to a home on Jerusalem Road after a contractor found more than 150 pounds of old ammunition for shotguns, rifles and handguns.

Authorities said Thursday that black powder was leaking from the decaying ammunition when it was discovered.

The bomb squad determined that the buckets of ammunition should not be moved more than a mile away to be destroyed. It was ultimately put in a dump truck from the Cohasset Department of Public Works, filled with sand, and put in an empty dumpster at a DPW garage, where it was destroyed in a controlled burn.

“I applaud the contractor for his decision to contact police right away upon finding the ammo, and for our officers and state officials for handling the situation in a timely and efficient manner,” Cohasset Police Chief William Quigley said in a statement

Shit, prob have that loose amount rolling around my car interior & trunk [wave]

Last edited:
Haha, love how the writer is searching for the most horrifying description of the situation... Thousands of rounds!! 150 pounds of ammunition!!!

The bomb squad determined that the buckets of ammunition should not be moved more than a mile away to be destroyed. It was ultimately put in a dump truck from the Cohasset Department of Public Works, filled with sand, and put in an empty dumpster at a DPW garage, where it was destroyed in a controlled burn.

IDK, seems a bit excessive. Is old ammo really that unstable? Not talking about nitroglycerine here 🤷‍♂️

"Thousands" of rounds ....

meh.... Those are amateur numbers.

Most serious gun owners = I would think have "tens of thousands" of mixed caliber rounds.

Those that took the time to stock-up when the times of plenty existed = I would wager likely have over a hundred thousand rounds of mixed calibers.
(along with those that do serious reloading)

Haha, love how the writer is searching for the most horrifying description of the situation... Thousands of rounds!! 150 pounds of ammunition!!!

IDK, seems a bit excessive. Is old ammo really that unstable? Not talking about nitroglycerine here 🤷‍♂️

Of course it is excessive. Gotta use any insignificant reason to keep funding unnecessary equipment.

"Thousands" of rounds ....

meh.... Those are amateur numbers.

Most serious gun owners = I would think have "tens of thousands" of mixed caliber rounds.

Those that took the time to stock-up when the times of plenty existed = I would wager likely have over a hundred thousand rounds of mixed calibers.
(and those that do serious reloading as well)

Shit I have probably almost 500 pounds of ammo in my closest and that's amateur numbers LOL.

I think, for the times, 150 pounds of ammunition was quite a lot. Maura Healey wasn't even born yet... [rofl2]

Assuming shotgun slugs at 1.2oz per cartridge that's 2400 rounds, 25 rounds per box usually, so 100 boxes for the sake of round numbers.

Authorities said Thursday that black powder was leaking from the decaying ammunition when it was discovered.
Probably paper-hull shottie ammo...

I feel like 150lbs is not that much... that's like a few cases?
Well as a reference my last shipment of 1000 rounds of 7.62x51 NATO was 56 pound, A 1000 rounds of .45 ACP was 35 pounds and 1000 rounds of .17 HRM was 10 pounds.

I feel like 150lbs is not that much... that's like a few cases?
It it not. It is less than 2K cast 45/70 bullets. Add the powder and brass, and it would probably be around 1500 rounds.

If the rounds had black powder (I doubt it was actual BP, probably smokeless that was black), then chances are a lot of them were in the old cowboy cartridges and the big .45.

Burning it was f*cking stupid.

'merican's gotta stop hoarding so much ammo, we're gonna knock the earth off it's axis. [smile]
It would be like the lake created by the 3 Gorges dam. The weight slows the rotation of the earth.
At least that is what a documentary said.

That's it? A 150lbs? 9mm is like 900 rounds to 25 pounds, about half that for 5.56 in 25lbs. I mean 150lbs of ammo is a good start and all, but that doesn't seem like anything for the average NES'r.

Back
Top Bottom