• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

What ammo is everyone using for the SW1911

Just bought a brand new SW1911 and wanted to know what everyone is using for ammo? Any info or tips would be great.

CCI Blazer Brass. I don't have time to reload (but am slowly building my stockpile of cases for when I do)

I don't really plan on reloading but maybe I should save the brass? What would you use if you were buying them?

YES!!! Save your brass!! At least give it to someone who does reload or save it for when you do reload.

The CCI Blazer cases are steel and can't be reloaded. It's less expensive and if you don't intend on reloading ever is probably a good deal.

I use WWB, Fiochi, or what ever is cheapest. Then I take the brass and reload it.

OK, someone has to say it:

I use .45 ACP.

Generally whatever ball (FMJ) I can get at a good price. Stocked up a while back and glad I did. Carl treated me well for several case purchases of .45 and .40 about 2 years ago.

.45 is mostly American Eagle by Federal and I have a case of Blazer I think I got through a group buy. I think the Blazer is Aluminum cased, not steel, but either way, it's scrap once you shoot it.

The CCI Blazer cases are steel and can't be reloaded.

Since when?

The original Blazer cases were and, last I looked, still are ALUMINUM.

Blazer now has a brass line as well. [wink]

I don't have an S&W, but my SVI and 625 subsist happily on poly-coated 210 gr. RNFP's and have for the past 3 years or so. When I'm out of them (500 left), I'll go to the new supply of 200 grainers. Current Propellant Of Choice for these is WST (231 also works well), replacing my old POC, Red Dot.

Last edited:
CCI Brass is ok. I reload and use 5.2gr of 231 or 4.1gr of Clays with Berry 230gr plated bullets. Use WLPs at about 1.255" COL.

I use most brass although my favorite is Starline, Federal and Winchester. Worse is R&P IMHO... although new R&P is good for a while. Some have no problems with CCI/Speer... I find that I catch primers on the edge of the pockets more with them for some reason.

I am...

Something wrong with Blazer Brass cases? They look fine for the most part on inspection.

The CCI Blazer cases are steel and can't be reloaded. It's less expensive and if you don't intend on reloading ever is probably a good deal.

CCI Blazer Brass. I don't have time to reload (but am slowly building my stockpile of cases for when I do)

See the above [rofl][rolleyes]

Seriously though, is there something wrong with CCI Blazer Brass cases?

Last edited:
Seriously though, is there something wrong with CCI Blazer Brass cases?

The primer pockets are funny-shaped. Primers catch on the edge and they really slow up the process. If you can get the primers in, they load and shoot fine, but I sort them out.

You can't go wrong with WWB (as long as they're not the NT ones with the small primers).

Since when?

The original Blazer cases were and, last I looked, still are ALUMINUM.

Blazer now has a brass line as well. [wink]

I don't have an S&W, but my SVI and 625 subsist happily on poly-coated 210 gr. RNFP's and have for the past 3 years or so. When I'm out of them (500 left), I'll go to the new supply of 200 grainers. Current Propellant Of Choice for these is WST (231 also works well), replacing my old POC, Red Dot.

Yes, aluminum, not steel. You are correct. I didn't know they had brass versions now.

The primer pockets are funny-shaped. Primers catch on the edge and they really slow up the process. If you can get the primers in, they load and shoot fine, but I sort them out.

You can't go wrong with WWB (as long as they're not the NT ones with the small primers).

"NT"? What's that? Does the box look different?

FMJ: all 230gr., no problems or issues with Remmington UMC, Remmington "Yellow Box" UMC, CCI Blazer, Independence, Winchesta White Box - I like shooting the Winchester the best... Win+Chester (my first name).

JHP: 230gr., no problems with Federal Hydrashock., Remmington Gold Sabre, Winchester.. I haven't really found any other JHP's between Four Seasons, BassPro, Wally's and Dicks Sporting Goods...

but it eats all of the above w/o any issues.. i don't reload (maybe I should learn) so all it's nice because the target stuff if commonly stocked...

i reload and i shoot a 230 gr lead rn over 5.0 grains of bullseye. this is a load i have used for 18-20 yrs in my model 25 s & w. the bullseye is a dirty burning powder and i am changing to unique later this month. the load wont be much different as i had tried unique a few yrs ago and worked up a nice load with it.

You're going to Unique because it's cleaner? Than what; black powder?

Try Red Dot, WST or even 231. I've used all 3 and prefer WST of the group.

Back
Top Bottom