• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

What % actually know?

I get to range when I can. But when I can't I always put a belt holster over my whitey tighties and practice my draw at a raggedy Anne doll while I practice my shit talking and pretending she bumped into me.
Basically it's just alot of me saying "what? Do you know who you're f***in' wit?" And "mess with the yeet get the cannon bitch"
Isn't the new expression, "You wanna see some smoke?"

Was wondering to myself , what % of gun owners have no clue how to utilize their gun/guns?
I definitely will not claim to be any sort of expert on guns , or claim to be a top shot. I will say that I do use my guns , I go out and shoot on most weekends, and put forth an effort to always improve. I can't say that I run any type of drills , I just practice making good shots at varying distances.
With that being said .......... I will wait and see if I can get some of the good NES input to my question asked.
I have no clue. I think I'm utilizing them correctly but for over 55 yrs or so I never thought about this question as I walked up to my Venison laying in the woods.........

I'd say over the past couple years the percentage has gone way up, how many people out there bought guns during covid that probably never handled a gun but the sky was falling so they went out and grabbed whatever they could find and probably haven't shot it let alone even touched it since they bought it.

I bet it's a LOT

I saw that first hand in 2020. It was insane. They voted for tough gun laws and when they couldn't buy a gun they were pi**ed at the gun shop.

Or when you visit the range, and you hear someone empty the magazine in 3 seconds.

Glad you mentioned this. When I teach a class, I have my students "Mag Dump" into a target at 5 yards. Simulating an attacker coming at you in your home. They are surprised at their lack of accuracy. Maybe some of them are practicing this.

Unless one of the rounds is a squib.
Basically only for the shooter. And even then, if there's a squib they'll need to manually reload the gun.

What would you consider a safe minimum time between shots? 2 seconds? 5?

Would you prefer we assume every shot might be a squib? Wait 30? Disassemble the firearm and confirm the barrel is clear?

Basically only for the shooter. And even then, if there's a squib they'll need to manually reload the gun.

Would you prefer we assume every shot might be a squib? Wait 30? Disassemble the firearm and confirm the barrel is clear?
Since I blew up a gun with a squib, all I will say is - I wasn't rapid firing, I was taking a shot maybe every 10 seconds, aiming. And still blew it up.

Maybe I should have waited 12 seconds?

Since I blew up a gun with a squib, all I will say is - I wasn't rapid firing, I was taking a shot maybe every 10 seconds, aiming. And still blew it up.

Maybe I should have waited 12 seconds?
Inserting personal experience? Ain't nobody got time for that. (My squib story didn't produce nearly as attractive a result)

When I first got my license I went to MFS school and took their entire suite of concealed carry classes. In the ensuing years I believe that I have grown complacent and probably need to refresh my skills and have been entertaining the idea of taking classes again.

I have over the years had to go back to a gun shop when I had problems when trying to take usually handguns apart for cleaning. Once I figure out the secret I'm good. For example my M&P2.0 the internal take down lever in the owners manual says to flip up, but it isn't flip all the way up, it's more like a 45 degree angle. One day I spent an hour scratching my head and figuring it was broken, but a quick trip to the gun shop and poof I was back in the game. So I feel stupid in those moments, but the good thing is there's always someone who knows the truth.

Glad you mentioned this. When I teach a class, I have my students "Mag Dump" into a target at 5 yards. Simulating an attacker coming at you in your home. They are surprised at their lack of accuracy. Maybe some of them are practicing this.
So, having a few 99's I have had several with rotary spring issues over the years. Sometimes adjustment wasn't the answer and another spring had to be used. Sure, I have the adjustment down pretty good, I have snap caps that give me a pretty good idea. But, I have had a few trouble makers that required live fire of 2 or 3 quick shots. You don't get the spring adjustment correct it won't feed.

Hopefully I wasn't being judged while doing this.

The majority of gun owners have basic knowledge of how to operate their firearm. Few are actually proficient, and even less are skilled. Take any large gun club, for example. The club will likely tell you that a small number of the club’s members actually regularly shoot there, if ever. Now think of how many gun owners don’t even belong to a club. Still, in a life or death situation, I give those armed with a firearm and basic knowledge an edge over the typical violent criminal.

To the OP.........I think there are very few that train seriously. To some its the expense, others don't take or have time, some don't have money to blast off ammo.

Like anything else, every "hobby" has its super serious people, and people that dabble.

I'd say less than 15% are serious gun owners that do training courses and stuff. And I get these numbers by looking at my club demographics. We have about 200 members and about 15% of them I know take live fire courses that are taught by a local instructor on site.

I'll admit to doing some training, but none very serious, and I'm certainly no black rifle guy, though, I've learned how to build and use them long ago.

Im fairly proficient at hitting, even while moving. But I shoot for enjoyment.....any seriously trained "operator" would take me out easily, as I haven't studied that much into "tactics". Im also a serious hunter.

But I also bowhunt and bird hunt as well. Time is a constraint I have in being very serious about training. I have other interests and other places to put my money than into training. Right or wrong, don't care. I do pretty much know how to tear apart every gun I have for cleaning and maintenance.

Some guys are just gun collectors, other guys are ammo collectors....and never fire a shot.

Other guys are just hunters only and only shoot during hunting season (admittedly, some of the worst gun handlers are in this group)

Others just have a firearm for basic protection but never ever use it.

Last edited:

One shot per gun, throw away when done

In the ensuing years I believe that I have grown complacent and probably need to refresh my skills and have been entertaining the idea of taking classes again.
No disrespect, and not doubting your skills one bit, please do. Remaining a lifetime student is good for all of us. And it's good to have somebody who can see the little things in our fundamentals that can use improvement.

So, having a few 99's I have had several with rotary spring issues over the years. Sometimes adjustment wasn't the answer and another spring had to be used. Sure, I have the adjustment down pretty good, I have snap caps that give me a pretty good idea. But, I have had a few trouble makers that required live fire of 2 or 3 quick shots. You don't get the spring adjustment correct it won't feed.

Hopefully I wasn't being judged while doing this.
When I assembled my first AR, I was having cycling issues. I wanted to make sure that was fixed, and hadn't even finished reinstalling my sights, so I went to the shortest range I had available where rifles were accepted. I know someone was judging me, and that's his problem.

Your response begs a question.

How often do you shoot?
Not sure why it begs that question, because I don't "know" hardly anyone at the club where I shoot, so if I see people there that are clueless, they would compare to the strangers I saw at Shaw's who died from Covid (neither are in my dataset). But I take 1-2 live fire classes a year and try to shoot at the club weekly ... although l have to admit that there are times where I miss a couple of weeks.

Admittedly with the cost of ammo; I don't train with calibers higher than 22LR often enough.
I have in my life time likely shot well over 100k rounds. But for many years 90% of my shooting
has been with 22LR ammo. Then again I have always had a soft spot for 22LR firearms!

Are we including cops in the percentage? 🤣
I am recently retied from Law Enforcement, with over 3 decades of service.
I can attest that the majority of cops, are not firearm enthusiasts. Many of which
only shoot their duty pistol 1-2 times a year. In department about 5-7% were heavily
into firearms and shooting in general.

A week or 2 ago, while at the range, Two older ladies show up, they are driving around the range looking kinda lost. They finally stopped at the bay I was shooting at. They get out, looking a little nervous and say that it is their first time here and the lady at the club house said I would be able to help them if they were having any issues. I'm thinking WTF. I got drills to work on, I don't need to babysit two grandmothers that just got their guns. I help them set up their target, then go off to my side working on accuracy. I look over at their targets and they are doing surprisingly well.

They call me over and ask if there were target stand further out, (the stands are in the ground and hard to find). I get to talking to them, They tell me that they had taken a shooting course a week ago and were practicing what they learned. They asked if I would watch to see if they were doing everything right. Sure no problem....Their gun handling... awesome, grip...perfect, stance....spot on. They are hitting the target better than most of the guys at the range.

Hey, ladies, you want to try a gun with a red dot...they thought it was great. Hey, have you shot a suppressed MP5 at steel? Boy did they think that was fun.

It turned out to be a really fun day at the range. Not only had these little old Bettys taken a training class, they were out practice what they had learn. Don't mess with Grandma.

I don't know how to use my guns.
Am I supposed to use them?
well as was stated above, as long as you have a 6.5 CM and crocs you are an operator. Folks will run away in fear so you will never have to know how to shoot.

My experiences at the range would indicate that at least 70% of those at the range really need to work on using their gun: loading mags, loading the gun, handling the gun, and hitting what they want to when firing.

And that is only the people at the range. I suspect that 90% or more of gun owners probably only visit the range and practice once or twice a year if at all.

It was hard to go to the range for awhile when all the ammo you own you just buy on your way to shoot

Back
Top Bottom