• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

What % actually know?

steven grammont

NES Member
Was wondering to myself , what % of gun owners have no clue how to utilize their gun/guns?
I definitely will not claim to be any sort of expert on guns , or claim to be a top shot. I will say that I do use my guns , I go out and shoot on most weekends, and put forth an effort to always improve. I can't say that I run any type of drills , I just practice making good shots at varying distances.
With that being said .......... I will wait and see if I can get some of the good NES input to my question asked.

Last edited:
I'd say over the past couple years the percentage has gone way up, how many people out there bought guns during covid that probably never handled a gun but the sky was falling so they went out and grabbed whatever they could find and probably haven't shot it let alone even touched it since they bought it.

I bet it's a LOT

Quite a lot. Just because you possess a gun, doesn't mean you're automatically proficient to shoot it.

It's my peeve when people say shit like "well my brother has a gun and I'll use it on the bad guys!" You wouldnt know what to do with a gun in your hand if it hit you in the face! I've been shooting handguns for 10 years and still have a long way to go.

Being a gun owner means practice. In the unfortunate event that you'll need to use a firearm, you want the best chance of you winning and and ending it quickly.

Last edited:
Well I know one person that fits the OPs description personally, and I know one person who died of Covid personally ... so maybe the numbers are similar. If that is the case, then as a group gun owners aren't doing too bad. Yeah, I realize that the extrapolation was dicey ... but really, I know a lot of people who own guns and can only think of that one person who wouldn't be able to make it work somewhat effectively.

CC

I get to range when I can. But when I can't I always put a belt holster over my whitey tighties and practice my draw at a raggedy Anne doll while I practice my shit talking and pretending she bumped into me.
Basically it's just alot of me saying "what? Do you know who you're f***in' wit?" And "mess with the yeet get the cannon bitch"

My brother… has a “box” of 9mm for his sig, Isn’t a member of a range.

He just bought a Mossberg because the trailer park down the road from him was shot up over a meth deal gone bad. I offered some range time and offered him my Benelli M2 while he was shopping but he declined, he wanted a pump because the sound of that would probably scare them off..

I also offered him a matched upper, lower hand guard and everything - a FCG and buffer tube for him to build an AR with my help but “AR’s are illegal in MA”

He just bought a Mossberg because the trailer park down the road from him was shot up over a meth deal gone bad. I offered some range time and offered him my Benelli M2 while he was shopping but he declined, he wanted a pump because the sound of that would probably scare them off..

I also offered him a matched upper, lower hand guard and everything - a FCG and buffer tube for him to build an AR with my help but “AR’s are illegal in MA”
I'll be your brother

You would just be a Mall Ninja.

Malodave
"Don't be a Mall Ninja."

That is what somebody told me at the gun store when I first got my LTC.
I had a laundry list of all the stuff I wanted to buy.

From then on I delved into classes.

I believe that I am in the top 1% of NES'ers based on how many classes I have taken over the past 20 years. I have a huge updated list but must keep OPSEC.

However, I am by no means a great shooter compared to many of you.

I just take tons of classes.

So, I'm not bragging that I am an operator - I just love to train.

I'll never get any better but I can prevent myself from getting worse.

Training never ends - being proficient at guns is a perishable skill.

I wish there was a way to encourage everybody to train. Just don't make it mandatory because guns are about freedom and liberty so you should have a choice.

Liberty is dangerous but it beats the alternative.

I was told that if I bought a 6.5CM that I'd be an operator. Is that not true? You make it sound like there is some sort of training requirement.
You need the operator af starter pack scar 20s in 6.5 with irons
Fnx 45 tac with an unzerod rmr in a drop leg
Jorts
Crocs
Plate carrier with front plates only
Camelbak full of ipa
Vape pen with rasperry unicorn dick flavoring
Tacticial cashmere scarf
4 knives that cost 20 dollars total and have dank memes
1 pen light

I always thought the rack was a courtesy action to let the intruder know that you're armed and will likely miss the 2nd shot by more than the first

Ever been to an open range day for hunters to sight in. That could easily make you think over 100% of shooters have no clue how to use their firearm
Lmao beat me to it.
I’ve helped quite a few people at my club, sight in their rifles and shotguns. Many of which were hunters. When they see me blasting 8-10 inch steel plates at 100 yards offhand and they’re sitting down at a bench struggling to hit their paper at 25 yards, they would ask me if I could help.

A lot of it was being clueless on how to use and zero a scope. But many had no idea how to operate their semi auto shotguns and rifles

Was wondering to myself , what % of gun owners have no clue how to utilize their gun/guns?
I definitely will not claim to be any sort of expert on guns , or claim to be a top shot. I will say that I do use my guns , I go out and shoot on most weekends, and put forth an effort to always improve. I can't say that I run any type of drills , I just practice making good shots at varying distances.
With that being said .......... I will wait and see if I can get some of the good NES input to my question asked.
I don't know how to use my guns.
Am I supposed to use them?

Well I know one person that fits the OPs description personally, and I know one person who died of Covid personally ... so maybe the numbers are similar. If that is the case, then as a group gun owners aren't doing too bad. Yeah, I realize that the extrapolation was dicey ... but really, I know a lot of people who own guns and can only think of that one person who wouldn't be able to make it work somewhat effectively.

CC
Your response begs a question.

How often do you shoot?

I know a guy who bought a pistol and an AR maybe 2 years ago and has never shot either one. I have to admit to going pretty long stretches without making it to the club but do drills often at the house. Better than nothing I guess

Quite a lot. Just because you possess a gun, doesn't mean you're automatically proficient to shoot it.

It's my peeve when people say shit like "well my brother has a gun and I'll use it on the bad guys!" You wouldnt know what to do with a gun in your hand if it hit you in the face! I've been shooting handguns for 10 years and still have a long way to go.

Being a gun owner means practice. In the unfortunate event that you'll need to use a firearm, you want the best chance of you winning and and ending it quickly.
The thing is, it's not about 'accuracy', it's about tactics in a real situation.

Most people shoot from a solid isosceles stance, maybe a Weaver stance. Getting through doorway is something else. Moving cover to cover, directed fire/ballistic cover, are all things that take a lot of thinking and training to get right. Shooting and moving accurately is a LOT harder than most people think.

Your question is very ambiguous. Do you know how to utilize your gun? How can you tell? What's the marker? Is it 0.3sec draw? Is it 5 shots into 1 foot square at 1000yd? Is it ability to shoot at something living?
Your ability to "utilize" the gun will be tested when there is a human being in the path of the barrel of the gun you hold. 95% of humans will be incapable of pulling the trigger. It's not in our nature to want to destroy another human being. We like to pretend that we are capable of taking another person's life but most of us can't. Hollywood loves to make it look that killing is easy. How many Rambo movies have been released int he past 40 years? 10? Fact is, all historical research shows that less than 5% of all soldiers in combat actually fire their weapons and of only a fraction of that 5% actually aims to kill.

Point is, practice, compete, learn! Do whatever you can to become competent and safe shooter but may you NEVER be placed in a position where you have to actually "utilize" your gun.

P.S. My view of self-defense and my ability to be able to "utilize" my gun has changed recently, thanks to Lt. Col. David Grossman.

The thing is, it's not about 'accuracy', it's about tactics in a real situation.

Most people shoot from a solid isosceles stance, maybe a Weaver stance. Getting through doorway is something else. Moving cover to cover, directed fire/ballistic cover, are all things that take a lot of thinking and training to get right. Shooting and moving accurately is a LOT harder than most people think.
Stress shooting was always a chore in the army......but I know why we did it. Jumping jacks right on the firing line in full battle rattle till you were almost smoked......get prone and engage targets. Repeat and fire from kneeling. Repeat and fire standing. Totally different world than being relaxed on the gun club and shooting steel at 100 yards.

Back
Top Bottom