What about gun printing and concealed carry in MA?

Hello,

Does anyone have any insight into the MA laws with regards to concealed carry and gun printing through clothing?

If I am, as a licensed LTC, carrying a legal firearm and someone sees the shape of a gun through my clothing and calls the police, am I subject to arrest or charges?

Thanks,

Russ

Russ,

If your concealed handgun is discovered prompting a frantic call to the police there is a possibility your chief will yank your license finding you "unsuitable".

This determination will likely be based on some kind of "causing a disturbance" charge.

steve

Russ,

If your concealed handgun is discovered prompting a frantic call to the police there is a possibility your chief will yank your license finding you "unsuitable".

This determination will likely be based on some kind of "causing a disturbance" charge.

steve

Interesting indeed. So I guess the message here is be careful! Thanks for your reply.

Russ,

steve
Wasn't there a definition of unsuitable in the big gun law passed last year? Something about being a threat to public safety? I understand the deck is stacked in MA, but I thought, after the dust has settled, it might be harder to get jacked up for printing or for having the wind expose ones iwb, etc.

As crappy of an answer as it is, the truth is , it all depends on what town your in at the time and what kind of mood the responding officer is in.
It could be anywhere from busted to disturbing the peace and ltc pulled for suitability, to asking to see your ltc and have a nice day sir.
Every day in the MA. Is a roll of the dice.

Wasn't there a definition of unsuitable in the big gun law passed last year? Something about being a threat to public safety? I understand the deck is stacked in MA, but I thought, after the dust has settled, it might be harder to get jacked up for printing or for having the wind expose ones iwb, etc.

If the sheep stampede someone might get hurt (trampled) and thus you were a threat to public safety! Get it now? [wink] [rolleyes]

If you got the kopsch called for printing go out and buy a powerball ticket. Most people are oblivious.

ETA: I've been "made" twice while carrying in over 10 years. Both times involved an epic concealment failure. No kopsch ever got called.

-Mike

Last edited:

Chap. 284 of the Acts fo 2014:
A determination of unsuitability shall be based on: (i) reliable and credible information that the applicant or licensee has exhibited or engaged in behavior that suggests that, if issued a license, the applicant or licensee may create a risk to public safety; or (ii) existing factors that suggest that, if issued a license, the applicant or licensee may create a risk to public safety.

Moreover, based upon the SJC's ruling in Simkin, a licensing authority CANNOT suspend or revoke a license for printing or open carry.
Next, we suspect that the average Massachusetts resident may become “alarmed” on learning that someone other than a law enforcement officer is carrying concealed weapons in his or her presence. However, Simkin is not responsible for alarm caused to others by his mere carrying of concealed weapons pursuant to a license permitting him to do exactly that.
Print all you want. Just understand the law and your rights.

I don't mess around in Mass, I'm all set with some ignorant person calling the police on me because I happen to be in a grocery store grabbing something real quick or something like that and some scumbag freaks out because of seeing printing of my gun. It's just not worth the bullshit in my opinion, I make sure it's concealed.

I have had my shirt ride up and over a couple of times where it was someone's reaction that told me I was effectively open carrying.

Never been an issue but I am white, balding and middle aged so YMMV.

Sent from my C6530 using Tapatalk

Don't forget, if you look clean cut, they will think you are a cop, if you look like a jerk, well..........

So don't look like a jerk, unless you can't help it.

LOL...I certainly expect that to be the truth.

Last week was the first opportunity I had to carry since living in MA. I had LTC in another state, but it has been some time. Admittedly, it felt a little odd. I kept thinking everyone was looking at me, but then it really occurred to me how oblivious people really are.

seems like I can care less in the last 6 months if I'm printing enough for others to see. Actually no law against it so whatever..
I was in starbucks (yeayea) last week and a guy in a suit squeezed by me and hit the butt of my XDS and just looked at me as he knew it wasn't a cell phone, he didn't look scared just surprised him a little maybe..

Thread Analogy: It stinks that we're conditioned to have to worry for "showing a lil too much ankle" when most of the country doesn't bat an eye to wearing a mini skirt.

LOL...I certainly expect that to be the truth.

Last week was the first opportunity I had to carry since living in MA. I had LTC in another state, but it has been some time. Admittedly, it felt a little odd. I kept thinking everyone was looking at me, but then it really occurred to me how oblivious people really are.
Some years ago I saw a guy in a Best Buy wearing a black shirt pulled down over the grip of the gun, with the black leather holster (SOB) clearly visible. Nobody noticed. Nothing. He went through the checkout line without a problem. Amazing.

I think printing is far less of an issue than actually losing your concealment. In the summer I wear loose fitting shirts in a "long" length and don't seem to have a problem with either. A few months ago, I was wearing one of my not so loose fitting shirts and someone called me out for printing. He was a retired cop and we had a pleasant conversation. He said he only noticed it because he always looked for weapons when he was active. Which was wise. Most "normal" people won't even notice because they aren't looking. Gun owners may or may not notice. I always look, but even if someone is printing I MMOB and don't point it out.

I'm always aware of not displaying or "printing", but I don't worry about it much at all.

One time during the winter I was at a lunch place with my wife, when I got up and put my coat on I had to stick my arm over my head so as to not punch anyone accidentally. I knew right away my shirt rode up and (GASP!) exposed my Beretta. The guy at the table across from mine had his eyes fixated on my shirt. I just stared at him and smiled, he looked away.

Remember, YOU are not doing anything wrong, if you act like you are, some/a lot of people will pick up on that. Just be cool, act like you know what you are doing.

If the sheep stampede someone might get hurt (trampled) and thus you were a threat to public safety! Get it now? [wink] [rolleyes]

Yep. This is also the rationale my State PD acquaintance at the gym used when we were discussing Massachusetts being an open carry state. (I discussed this last year in another thread)...He told me straight up that "Even if it's open carry here.." he says, "if I see you walking down the sidewalk carrying a firearm? I'm gonna order you to the ground at gunpoint"... and when I said "Huh? You're not actually serious, are you??" he replied straight faced, eye to eye, "One hundred percent serious. As far as I'm concerned you're creating a disturbance. Plus you're a distraction to passing motorists and, therefore, a safety hazard. A threat to the public. You could cause several accidents".

Chap. 284 of the Acts fo 2014:

Moreover, based upon the SJC's ruling in Simkin, a licensing authority CANNOT suspend or revoke a license for printing or open carry.
Print all you want. Just understand the law and your rights.

end thread. that is all

It all depends on where you are. When I was in for my renewal, the licensing officer told me that they get "man with a gun" calls all the time. He said that the tell the caller that it is not illegal and tell them to call back if the person breaks any laws.

Now I am sure if you open carried into the local bank or town hall it would make some folks nervous.

Dr grant and others are correct, people have zero recognition unless you are walking around with an AR15. Once, on my way home from the range I stopped into a store and I had left my shirt up above my OWB holster. I stood in line for 5 minutes and when I got to the register I realized I was open carry and casually pulled my shirt over the gun. There were at least 10 people in line. Maybe it is my rugged good looks [smile] that makes them not go ape s#%t.....or I got lucky, but i have found over the years that if you are reasonable in concealment you will be fine.

seen it happen with a couple of black guys who were in a sub shop. the town rolled heavy and it turned out they were Boston PD...[hmmm] hilarity ensued...

Dr grant and others are correct, people have zero recognition unless you are walking around with an AR15. Once, on my way home from the range I stopped into a store and I had left my shirt up above my OWB holster. I stood in line for 5 minutes and when I got to the register I realized I was open carry and casually pulled my shirt over the gun. There were at least 10 people in line. Maybe it is my rugged good looks [smile] that makes them not go ape s#%t.....or I got lucky, but i have found over the years that if you are reasonable in concealment you will be fine.
Maybe no one gave a shit

So a hotty in skimpy outfit would get the same treatment?

Yep. This is also the rationale my State PD acquaintance at the gym used when we were discussing Massachusetts being an open carry state. (I discussed this last year in another thread)...He told me straight up that "Even if it's open carry here.." he says, "if I see you walking down the sidewalk carrying a firearm? I'm gonna order you to the ground at gunpoint"... and when I said "Huh? You're not actually serious, are you??" he replied straight faced, eye to eye, "One hundred percent serious. As far as I'm concerned you're creating a disturbance. Plus you're a distraction to passing motorists and, therefore, a safety hazard. A threat to the public. You could cause several accidents".

That's a cops twisted rationale right there.[rolleyes]
You are causing a "supposed" disturbance by just walking down the sidewalk and that's enough for these geniuses to "justify" holding you at gunpoint.
You should have asked the prick "so you don't think that motorists passing by someone holding me at gunpoint is more of a distraction than me minding my own business walking on the sidewalk"? Of course his reply would be something along the lines of "I'm a cop, I'm special..blah blah".

It all depends on where you are. When I was in for my renewal, the licensing officer told me that they get "man with a gun" calls all the time. He said that the tell the caller that it is not illegal and tell them to call back if the person breaks any laws.

Now I am sure if you open carried into the local bank or town hall it would make some folks nervous.
Yeesh, seems like people in that jurisdiction need a hobby..far too many busy bodies in this world.

Actually the ones that over react and stampede are the threat to public safety not the person just standing there going about their business but of course the courts and other govt. entities in this state and ones like this state ignore the facts and make up their own rules.

Back
Top Bottom