• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

What about gun printing and concealed carry in MA?

Yep. This is also the rationale my State PD acquaintance at the gym used when we were discussing Massachusetts being an open carry state. (I discussed this last year in another thread)...He told me straight up that "Even if it's open carry here.." he says, "if I see you walking down the sidewalk carrying a firearm? I'm gonna order you to the ground at gunpoint"... and when I said "Huh? You're not actually serious, are you??" he replied straight faced, eye to eye, "One hundred percent serious. As far as I'm concerned you're creating a disturbance. Plus you're a distraction to passing motorists and, therefore, a safety hazard. A threat to the public. You could cause several accidents".

By this rationale, the cop should also be arrested for creating a disturbance, as a cop, holding someone at gunpoint, along the side of the road, is more of a distraction.

Does he also bust the people that wear costumes to attract business to the Halloween Superstore?

I don't generally use the "JBT" acronym, but in this case, I will.

Once you get used to carrying again the fear should go away. I was in Mattapan a few years back and stopped to get a paper, when i bent over to pick it up my shirt rode up and exposed my gun. a cop was right there and just told me to be a little more careful and laughed it off. Unless the cop has an enormous chip on his shoulder they will leave you alone.

Yep. This is also the rationale my State PD acquaintance at the gym used when we were discussing Massachusetts being an open carry state. (I discussed this last year in another thread)...He told me straight up that "Even if it's open carry here.." he says, "if I see you walking down the sidewalk carrying a firearm? I'm gonna order you to the ground at gunpoint"... and when I said "Huh? You're not actually serious, are you??" he replied straight faced, eye to eye, "One hundred percent serious. As far as I'm concerned you're creating a disturbance. Plus you're a distraction to passing motorists and, therefore, a safety hazard. A threat to the public. You could cause several accidents".
Right there is what is wrong with MA, that cop is nothing more than a JBT, he thinks he is above it primadonna type *******.

Hypothetically speaking if i had a 14" johnson and it was printing, could that be indecent exposure?

Actually, yes. Appearing in public with your covered genitals in a "visibly excited state" (as some of these laws delicately put it) is, in some states, a crime covered under lewd or indecent behavior laws. Indiana's law has gained some notoriety and is frequently included in lists of "dumb" or "weird" laws that get circulated around the internet.

Does he treat attractive women the same way?

eta- whoops, gasaman beat me to it.

Last edited:

Typical Statie : Bully with a badge.

Holy shit guys, calm down.
Also, taking legal advice from cops...[rofl]

Nobody's saying anything about taking any legal advice from him, just stating what HE would do if he saw someone open-carrying on a MA road. So even if you're in the right by legally open-carrying, this particular thug cop would give you "on-the-spot legal advice" with his Glock drawn and aimed at you, to "GET ON THE GROUND! PUT YOUR HANDS ABOVE YOUR HEAD! GET ON THE GROUND!! (blah blah).

And dropping to the ground wouldn't be "taking legal advice" from him whatsoever - it would be more along the lines of "I'd kinda want to see my wife and kids again before I depart this earth" and not have this misinformed State cop take me out for walking down the street, abiding by the law, openly carrying my sidearm.

Last edited:
The risk associated with getting "made" in MA is entirely dependent on the mindset of your chief.

There is nothing illegal about printing. In fact there is nothing illegal about open carry in MA.

So if your chief will respond to the complainant with "so what", like I'm told some chief's do out in the western part of the state, then the risk associated with being made is zero.

Like Mike said, you have to REALLLLLLLY screw up to get made. People may suspect. Or a gun guy may even know. But as long as there is a bit of doubt (is that a cell phone or insulin pump?), then people don't call the police. Generally, you have to expose the actual firearm for anyone to even notice. But even then its doubtful.

I often carry OWB when I am in CT. I did it again this weekend. I wore shorts and a T shirt. The T shirt is a bit snug and the grip of my G19 prints massively . The holster is a Safariland ALS retention holster. It sticks out and presents the gun for a nice grip. It hangs below the hem of my shirt.

Guess how many times I've been made while practicing what I call "casual carry" in CT? -- -- - ZERO.

With that said, I carry IWB in MA, simply because I wouldn't want to have to put my chief in a situation where he has to choose.

Don

My CT Carry rig. Never been made with only a T shirt over this.

Your State Police friend was either pulling your leg or has been sleeping through is in-service training. Merely carrying a firearm, absent any exigency, is not ground for the type of felon stop your friend described. He would be exposing himself and his agency to significant liability for acting as you've described.

The one time I've been made was when I was at work and the cops were there on an unrelated matter. I walked through the front lobby/waiting room. My button down had ridden up and exposed my g19. Female who later ended up getting arrested on the unrelated matter started freaking out at the cop telling him to arrest me, i was threatening since I was sort of OCing, etc. Cop asked if I was carrying. I replied in the affirmative, and asked if he wanted me to hang around, or should we talk at my desk once he's free from his current call. Ended up joking about it over coffee and talking guns for a few after the cop whose arrest it was drove off

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

A noobie usually outs themselves by doing the every couple of minutes pat down, continually pulling down their shirt, or my favorite, putting their hand over their holster when on the jog, like running across the street. It's fun to spot while people watching. When you get to my old age you don't care any more. Someone spots it, so be it.

Nobody's saying anything about taking any legal advice from him, just stating what HE would do if he saw someone open-carrying on a MA road. So even if you're in the right by legally open-carrying, this particular thug cop would give you "on-the-spot legal advice" with his Glock drawn and aimed at you, to "GET ON THE GROUND! PUT YOUR HANDS ABOVE YOUR HEAD! GET ON THE GROUND!! (blah blah).

And dropping to the ground wouldn't be "taking legal advice" from him whatsoever - it would be more along the lines of "I'd kinda want to see my wife and kids again before I depart this earth" and not have this misinformed State cop take me out for walking down the street, abiding by the law, openly carrying my sidearm.

Payday.

If you got the kopsch called for printing go out and buy a powerball ticket. Most people are oblivious.

ETA: I've been "made" twice while carrying in over 10 years. Both times involved an epic concealment failure. No kopsch ever got called.

-Mike
What a douche bag, that is the exact type of person that has no business being a cop. "F*#k the law, get on the ground".

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

So what would happen if the person he decided to put on the ground was a fellow LEO? Would it suddenly not be a distraction to passing motorists? **** this guy.

Just one reminder here folks regarding any kind of breach of peace charge. In order for you to to be guilty of breach of peace, you must INTEND for your activities to cause inconvenience, annoyance or alarm. If it happens incidentally as a result of you doing something that is not illegal, then you have not violated any laws.

Thats part of the reason you often see cops asking "why are you carrying a gun" on many open carry videos. If the carrier says something that sounds like the intent is to cause inconvenience, annoyance or alarm, then he has just incriminated himself.

The CT State Police have explicitly acknowledged that OC is legal with the publication of this training memo in 2013:

http://ctcarry.com/Document/Download/a034b530-1221-425d-a99f-53af710ff219

Don

p.s. MA jury instructions on "Disturbing the Peace" say the following:

The defendant is charged with disturbing the peace. In order to prove
the defendant guilty of this offense, the Commonwealth must prove three
things beyond a reasonable doubt:

First: That the defendant engaged in conduct which most people
would find to be unreasonably disruptive, such as (making loud and
disturbing noise) (tumultuous or offensive conduct) (hurling objects in a
populated area) (threatening, quarreling, fighting, or challenging others to
fight) (uttering personal insults that amount to fighting words, that is, are
so offensive that they are inherently likely to provoke an immediate violent
reaction);

Second: That the defendant’s actions were done intentionally, and
not by accident or mistake; and

Third: That the defendant did in fact annoy or disturb at least one
person.

http://www.mass.gov/courts/docs/cou...minal/6000-9999/7200-disturbing-the-peace.pdf

Last edited:
One other thing that is usually mentioned in this kind of thread, but hasn't come up here is the matter of your appearance.

If you are a white male between the ages of 25 and 55 with short hair, in decent shape, dressed cleanly, people will assume you are a LEO of some kind. Especially if you wear black sneakers or zip up boots.

If you are a white male between the ages of 25 and 55 with short hair, in decent shape, dressed cleanly, people will assume you are a LEO of some kind. Especially if you wear black sneakers or zip up boots.

This is so very true.

I also consider the holster. Most of the criminals don't have $200 leather shoulder rigs or Mitch Rosen holsters.

The average sheep don't know the difference between a $200 Mitch Rosen and a $15 gun show holster. Most gangsters carry "Mexican style", no holster . . . that might make the sheep suspicious.

The average sheep don't know the difference between a $200 Mitch Rosen and a $15 gun show holster. Most gangsters carry "Mexican style", no holster . . . that might make the sheep suspicious.

You show me three women that can't spot something made of leather, that costs hundreds of dollars, from clear across the mall, and I will suggest that you have wandered into a gay pride rally. And if that is the case, surely every guy there will be able to appraise a quality holsters worth. [grin]

Back
Top Bottom