what a difference 8 years makes

Pilgrim

NES Member
RETIRED, at home or wherever I want to be
8 years ago I introduced my then 5 year old grand daughter to shooting. I've posted this picture before:

age 5 with her Cricket:
emilyshoot.jpg

A couple years later:
emily1.jpg

She's shot a lot of my stuff over the years. Here's one with my AK a couple of years ago:

Web%20standingAK.jpg

I've taken her many times over the past 8 years and we went out again today. This time, at 13, she decided she wanted to shoot something bigger.
20130823_135711%20766x575.jpg

She was anxious, wanted to but then didn't and then wanted to again. She was afraid it would hit her. I prepped her, with an unloaded gun, about the strong double handed grip and to keep her elbows locked so the gun wouldn't come back and hit her in the face. After one round, I asked he if she wanted to do another and she enthusiastically said "yes". It was a 450 gr bullet with 42 gr of H110, so it was no wimpy shot.

I'm so proud of her.

Next time someone asks at what age should they start their kid shooting, tell them 5 to start, 13 for a .500 magnum !!!!!

If you want to see a video, here's a 20meg file to view:

[video]www.wikkidpissah.com/guns/range2013/emily/emily500.mp4[/video]

I had a bad day today and this warms my heart and makes me feel WAY better. Thanks for posting.

That is just great,you must be very proud.All I have left is two more year till I can take my grand daughter shooting with her Cricket.

These pictures will be of much use about 5 years from now when it's time to take my son shooting for the first time [smile]

Nicely done.

My son (13 as well) is turning into the same kind of recoil junky that I am.
Last year he fired his first .50 BMG round. Like your granddaughter, he was a little anxious but didn't back away.
I think the smile from that event lasted longer on me then it did on him.

the video shows that she was surprised when it went off. She wasn't expecting such an easy trigger, and she put it down pretty quickly. But when I asked if she want to try another, it was an emphatic "yes".

Good to take her to the range. She is holding the revolver with a semi-auto pistol grip. Have her move her hand up the grip so it's like the picture and she will enjoy it even more.

View attachment 77157

Great story....nice to read some good posts here every once in awhile........................

now i must get back to bitchin' about Massaxhusetts, and ammo hoardin' and stuff...

Damn, good for her (and you). I have only heard about those pistols and seeing a young lady step right up and shoot one is sweet.

And like someone else said, I need to find one of those hello kitty shirts for my daughter (even though she has only shot a 22).

Nice job Sir, you have hopefully help to teach another woman not to become a victim! I can't wait to start teaching my daughter with some live fire, she is already pretty good at handling an AR and knows just about all the important parts!

Charles.

my now 20 yo granddaughter has been shooting since she was 8. She hasn't tried the 500 yet, but has her own rifle and revolver. The 13 yo above has had her own Henry since she was 10. She wants a revolver when she turns 16 like her older sister got.

at 14
kalashkitty%20500x996.jpg

16th birthday
newrevolver%20702x640.jpg

Their middle sister, now sixteen has only been shooting for a couple of years but loves it too. She's only been in this area for a while so I couldn't get to her earlier.

kaylaAKstand.jpg

last week I took the 16 yo and she wanted to shoot the .500 !

20130815_142139%20766x575.jpg

then the AR and AK:
20130815_140833%20766x575.jpg

a video of her first shot with the 500 (20meg) :

note how she keeps trying to back away from the gun at the beginning. That was her 2nd shot. She kept shooting it as long as I gave her ammo.

[video]www.wikkidpissah.com/guns/range2013/kayla/20130815_141901.mp4[/video]

These 3 girls LOVE to shoot! 4 more grandaughters to go.

I'm very lucky to have such good grand kids, in every way.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom