What a bunch of "Dick's"

I read the article on CNN and came right to NES to say that Dick’s is BLOWING IT! The Parkland shooter did not even use a shotgun he used an AR and Dick’s should not allow themselves to be “part of the mass shooter narrative” because some nut job happened to own one gun he bought at Dick’s. That being said, when I go for my basic home defense shottie when I become a homeowner (years down the line) I will go to Cabela’s or Bass Pro Shops.

So they're out 5 million plus the cost to destroy them? I'm far from a business genius but that seems rather dumb to me.

They probably secretly write up that loss as cost of advertisement. However, wouldn't the better gesture have been donation to police forces fighting these types of crimes, or even cheap sale to police forces and donation of proceeds to XYZ cause? Just destroying them is, if anything, purely wasteful.

I read the article on CNN and came right to NES to say that Dick’s is BLOWING IT! The Parkland shooter did not even use a shotgun he used an AR and Dick’s should not allow themselves to be “part of the mass shooter narrative” because some nut job happened to own one gun he bought at Dick’s. That being said, when I go for my basic home defense shottie when I become a homeowner (years down the line) I will go to Cabela’s or Bass Pro Shops.
You pay full retail for your stuff?

You pay full retail for your stuff?
So far I’ve supported my local firearms store and other small gun shops in New England exclusively as well as individual sellers. I have yet to buy a gun from one of the previously mentioned retailers. I figure shotguns are the category where you don’t really care about preban unless you’re into something specific or a collector. In my case of generic future homeowner I just want a Mossberg or something basic.

So far I’ve supported my local firearms store and other small gun shops in New England exclusively as well as individual sellers. I have yet to buy a gun from one of the previously mentioned retailers. I figure shotguns are the category where you don’t really care about preban unless you’re into something specific or a collector. In my case of generic future homeowner I just want a Mossberg or something basic.
Not a single reason to change your buying habits. Your local shops are better than buying MSRP.

Their most profitable items are shoes, apparel, team sports gear and "outdoor" stuff like those cheap pop-up tents. Their biggest customer base is well-off, suburban yuppies and families, many of whom feed at the .gov trough and vote the way their bread is buttered. Add to that the social pressure the CEO gets from his friends in Pittsburgh, a formerly conservative town which has become dominated by academia, .gov and the health industry. Add that to the rumor that he might run for office as a Dem soon.

They probably view the whole "Field and Stream" thing to be an expensive mistake, and would like to put it behind them. Hence the sale of eight F&S stores to Sportsman's Warehouse. The security and regulatory hassles of being in the firearm business don't fit the Dick's corporate culture. Fortunately, that leaves more customers for traditional firearms retailers, many of which are family businesses owned by veterans.

Bottom line on the bottom line: At $5m, this strategic mistake cost a couple orders of magnitude less than Coke wrote off on New Coke.

Not only dumb, but an illegal breach of their fiduciary responsibility to their stockholders.

Which is why there needs to be a class action suit by the shareholders. The current CEO has admitted that his political f***ery has cost the company 250+ million and they are selling off floundering (because of boycotts) Field and Stream stores to competing hunting & outdoor chains.

They are soon going to be nothing more than an Eastern Mountain Sports crossed with the Sports Authority. Notably both of those companies went bankrupt due to competition from internet catalog sales and better selection/customer service from niche retailers in the outdoor and sports equipment sectors.

Asshat CEO is going to take his golden parachute and write a smug book about how virtuous he was lording over the smoldering ruins of the company.

Seriously, A QUARTER BILLION DOLLARS OF LOST SALES at a time when brick & mortar stores are looking for ideas and leadership to maintain or increase sales. Where did this a**h*** get his MBA? Eddie Lampert's Sears Roebuck?

Last edited:

My LGS brought me in a 590A1, $509. Likely wont see one in the rack at BPS or Cabelas.

Not only dumb, but an illegal breach of their fiduciary responsibility to their stockholders.

That's exactly what I clicked on this thread to go type.

Although, they will probably claim it is "marketing" or something.

By the way... "high-powered"? Compared to what? I assume they're referring to AR-15s which are on the low end of the power spectrum before you get to .22LR or pistol-caliber rifles. What about their even higher powered rifles? They didn't destroy those?

There is no basis for a shareholder lawsuit. Management acted entirely within their authority. And they can make a reasonable argument that dropping the deplorable, gun-nut customer base to focus on their more profitable and more loyal customers is a good decision.

I haven't set foot in any of there stores since there A-Hole CEO pulled his little stunt. I never bought much gun stuff there. Mostly stuff for my bow. Other than that sneakers or boots and other clothes. But F them. I feel bad for the workers losing their jobs. There really the ones who are affected by this. The CEO is still going to be stupid rich and it wont make the slightest change in his lifestyle. Hopefully he spends his own money running for office and loses. These people do drink their own Kool-aid at times.

Haven’t bought anything from them in a long time and don’t plan to change

Good.
That means that no one who wants to cross the boycott line, or doesn't know about it, can buy them at Dicks. This means they'll have to go to a local gun store (unless there are other options?) and do business there. Meanwhile, gun companies have to keep pumping out guns to meet the supply, keeping workers employed. Looks like the only losers are Dicks.

Besides - from what I saw on the shelf at Dicks* it doesn't look like there are real high end guns that are examples of real craftsmanship. Nothing with any character and it can all be purchased down at your LGS.

*Naturally I went there before the boycott. Never found anything worth getting, though.
And since the boycott, I've been in a few times. Usually to poop and not flush, move shoes into the wrong area, put size 2 on the top shelf and size 14s on the floor, say loudly to my son in front of soccer moms "I'm glad you know better than to touch that needle you saw in the bathroom, we'll go tell the manager", and other assorted forms of low brow harassment.

*Naturally I went there before the boycott. Never found anything worth getting, though.
And since the boycott, I've been in a few times. Usually to poop and not flush, move shoes into the wrong area, put size 2 on the top shelf and size 14s on the floor, say loudly to my son in front of soccer moms "I'm glad you know better than to touch that needle you saw in the bathroom, we'll go tell the manager", and other assorted forms of low brow harassment.

You forgot to try on shoes, find the ones you like, then order that exact model/size online.

Back
Top Bottom