• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

What 6.8mm in AR10?

paul73

NES Member
I believe the 6.8 SPC is the ar15 platform, but read twice I think of some new 6.8mm coming to ar10 - which one is that?
Are there uppers for it anywhere to buy?

I suppose 6.5 Creedmoor could be considered new -- it was introduced in 2007, and there are plenty of uppers available.

What you may be thinking of is offshoots of the NGSW competition for the US Army's replacement for the M4 and M249. Or, if you prefer the ISO-9642 fully buzzword compliant version, "The Next Generation Squad Weapons (NGSW) Program is an iterative, prototyping effort, using Middle Tier Acquisition Authority, to develop operationally relevant, squad-level lethality to combat proliferating threats, informed by Soldiers feedback."

When I last checked, there were 3 different proposals being evaluated -- one from Sig, one from General Dynamics, and one from Textron. Each uses a different round in the 6.8mm range, and all three rounds are currently proprietary. IIRC, two are composite cased and one is a composite/metal hybrid. I lack the expertise to say whether any or all of them could be retrofitted into the AR-10 platform. Nor do I care to guess which one, if any, is going to win the contract. Currently, Sig is selling its brass cased .277 Fury ammo commercially, but I haven't heard of an AR-10 upper for it, and I'm skeptical that any are feasible to use on that platform.

What I will predict unless Sig wins the contract, the .277 Fury will fade into Yet Another Niche Round status. The same is true of any of the other losers. So unless you like using and paying for offbeat ammo, I'd suggest not buying any of the civilian versions until the appeals and lawsuits are over and the Army figures out if the system is going to work or not. While I'm not a fan of 6.8 SPC, 6.5 Creedmoor is a popular choice for an AR-10 platform for good reason.

there were 3 different proposals being evaluated -- one from Sig, one from General Dynamics, and one from Textron.
yep, so, i guess it is still undecided - i did not keep current on that but i guess it is exactly what i did read about. ok, then indeed it will wait. i for some reason assumed they already have chosen a new replacement for .308.

6.5CM and .308 i already have.

yep, so, i guess it is still undecided - i did not keep current on that but i guess it is exactly what i did read about. ok, then indeed it will wait. i for some reason assumed they already have chosen a new replacement for .308.

6.5CM and .308 i already have.
The Stag in 6.8 SPC is an Ar15. We also have the Stag 5.56 upper for it and switch back and forth. Jack.

Could be this one-
There was another six point something that was announced last year that had what looked to be a screw on case head.
i had a brain fart - i somehow assumed it was all already settled. but, if none of that will even be retrofittable into an ar10 - it will be pointless for me anyway. i guess we will see.
i then probably will simply get an another .308 upper from aero - the wilson one i have now sucks big time.

Back
Top Bottom