• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

What .22LR do you shoot in your P22??....mosquito

My P22 fires top notch on anything CCI and a few remington products but I can't remember just what model rounds they were. I just picked up 3k+ federal rounds and they don't cycle the gun good at all[frown]. I know the P22 and the Mosquito have reputations for being fussy with what types of ammo you feed em but I was told by a few people that the P22 eats up federal stuff no problem......... and I guess thats not true or at least in my case. What cheaper stuff do you guys shoot in your P22's and have no problems with. Granted mini mags are pretty cheap but the federal is half the price and I'd like to find some cheaper ammo to shoot regularly. I'm averaging about 300/400 rounds every time I hit the range so cheaper is better. Let me know guys, thanks

Brad

Mine eats Federal bulk packs all day. I keep a few hundred mini mags around for shooting anything other than paper.

Mine would not extract the casing very good. I did clean the gun prior to trying the federal bulk ammo but after I fired off maybe 250 rounds of it I gave up and swapped over to mini mags and then went home to clean the gun again. I removed a good chunk of gunk off the extractor so I'm hoping maybe I missed that last time I cleaned her. fingers crossed.

I used those Rem. cyclones I think there called..... dirty dirty dirty but the shot pretty damn good for me and they were dirt cheap. I'm still on the hunt for cheap ammo so any recommendations are greatly appreciated.

thanks guys.

anyone try super x's??

Mostly Federal 550ct bulk, which is fine, but CCI mini-mags and Win Super X work the best.

EDIT: Forgot to mention, this is with a Walther P22.

Last edited:
Well after cleaning the p22 spotless I gave it another try with bad results. The federal bulk runs like crap for me. I think for the price I'm just goin to shoot em
anyway but it is kinda crappy to have to check the barrel and see if there's a round in it or not every shot. Live and learn. A gentleman last night had the federal bulk "auto match" match I think he said it was. Ran mint for him. My problem is I can't find ammo period so trying to find specific kinds like
this might be tough. Oh well.

Kinda sucks. I had my fingers crossed that your thorough cleaning of the extractor would work. Send me a PM if you decide to dump the ammo.

My Mosquito runs more or less flawlessly on Mini mags and almost as well with Federal "auto-match". I use the latter almost all of the time since they cost about $12.00 for a 325 round bulk pack vs. $8.00 for 100 mini-mags. Regular Federal bulk and pretty much all other bulk ammo is an exercise in frustration with that gun.

After shooting 2000 or so rounds of CCI Mini-Mags through my P22, I tried Winchester Super-X and Remington HP Gold. The Remingtons' run great, not an issue, but the super-x FTE every 100 or so.

Last edited:
My Walther P22 has eaten any high-velocity ammo I have tried but won't shoot Federal at all!!
I have several other rimfire guns and none of them like Federal ammo.

I tried the super x"s with only one FTF out of 50 rounds. and the subsonics actually shot pretty good for me but they don't have that much power it seems. I really don't know the specs on either but I'd try the subsonics again. My only two complaints with the subs are that their dirty (but I clean my gun after every session) and they weren't all that much cheaper than mini mags. I have come to the conclusion that I will from now on just buy CCI's and spend the extra couple bucks to have a worry free time. Only problem with cci's is I can never find em.

My P22 likes federal bulk packs both plated and lead, but doesn't seem to like winchester plated. CCI minimags work flawlessly. The federal I have and CCI minimags are similar velocity. I just got some new high velocity federal that I haven't tried yet, hopefully it works well because I bought a bunch ;)

Any of you near Keene NH can buy CCI minimags at Sams Outfitters in Swanzey for $6.99/100 40 gr round nose and Walmart just got some stock in yesterday $6.47/100 38gr hp. Of course there is always DSG at $9.99 still.

And be careful just trying to buy "high velocity" for your P22 thinking that is going to cycle more reliably. Some bullets are high velocity because they make the bullet much lighter but the lighter bullet will provide less recoil and that is what you need to cycle the P22. I learned that when I bought some "hyper" velocity stuff a couple years ago at Cabelas in WI. It worked in my 10/22 but not the P22.

Last edited:
My mosquito has worked flawlessly with Mini Mags and federal bulk stuff. I havent had one misfire or failure to eject. I mostly use the mini mags, but try the bulk stuff for comparison when I'm at the range. I'm also using the stiffer spring with the federal and mini mags. I havent tried the lighter spring at all.

there are 2 mosquitos in my house hold and both of them prefer the federal bulk packs over the CCI mini mags...we have had more james with the mini mags than with the federals

i've had the same experience with my Mosquito. it never has any trouble with the Federals

Back
Top Bottom