• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

What 1911 should I get?

That's about all you can do - read as many reviews as you can, try it out if possible, and then plunk down the cash. I'm a newbie who just bought his first 1911, an R1, and so far I love it. A little over 200 rounds through it with zero issues. FWIW, I've heard good things about RIA but I had trouble finding one... plus Remington is running a $75 rebate until the end of May.

duece, who is dealer on here in NH, has a few MA compliant RIAs I believe.

I've got over 1000 rounds through my r1 and it's been flawless. Can't recall any malfunctions and the thing is only getting smoother. For the $ you can't go wrong in my opinion.

The new shop in Tyngsboro also sells RIA 1911 at great prices. Not that I want to take business from Duece, just providing options.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk

I have looked at several 1911's in stores and for my 1st 1911, believe it or not, I like the looks and feel of the Rock Island Armory the best. It'll be a starter gun for me in the 1911 type, and I can upgrade to "better" 1911's in the future if desire dictates, and if funding allows. That said, for a newbie shooter (and even more newbie to 1911's), is there any reason NOT to buy one? I have read reviews on them and it seems to be a fine entry level 1911 for someone in my shoes. I shoot paper and tin cans for fun; no competitions. Thanks.

Ive had several. Theyve all been great guns. I sold the two i had because i wanted a ruger.

The finish on them is not great and there are some machine marks. But they run great

Pullman arms usually has one on the wall at a good price.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

wow, they didn't even come close with blending the slide to frame or the lower lugs are over cut

OK - I have a TTT too, and absolutely love it. I've not had any failures of any kind. It looks amazing, shoots reliably and straight. Compared to the Ruger and some of the others, it seems to be a good value, as it includes front strap checkering and night sights, standard.

But according to what you just wrote, it's apparently a POS. Forgive my naivete, but what are you talking about? What's not blended vis-à-vis slide to frame, and what is a lower lug and what does it mean to have it "over cut?"

178973_4489696767918_359846273_n.jpg

Last edited:
I love the look of the SR1911, and its price is pretty competitive for a first 1911. The front sight of mines did break off randomly while shooting like some other people here, but Ruger replaced it no problem. Great customer support!

But according to what you just wrote, it's apparently a POS. Forgive my naivete, but what are you talking about? What's not blended vis-à-vis slide to frame, and what is a lower lug and what does it mean to have it "over cut?"

He means the back of the slide is not blended to the back of the frame. It's glaringly obvious on that gun. If the bottom lugs of the barrel are overcut, the barrel will sit in battery more forward than it should, relative to the slide stop pin on which it rests. So will the slide, since it's locked with the barrel.

OK - I have a TTT too, and absolutely love it. I've not had any failures of any kind. It looks amazing, shoots reliably and straight. Compared to the Ruger and some of the others, it seems to be a good value, as it includes front strap checkering and night sights, standard.

View attachment 101620

See where the arrow is pointing? The frame and slide should be even. It can happen with properly fit barrels, but the slide/frame still should be blended to look correct. It can happen when the lower lug feet of the barrel are over cut allowing the slide to travel to far forward. It is an indication that there may be something wrong with the fit, but certainly something wrong with the finish

Attachments

• sig.jpg
    sig.jpg
    28.9 KB · Views: 106

View attachment 101620

I don't think he was making the categorical statement all TTT are piles of shit. I've handled ONE and that ONE was put together nicely - though I did not fire it. The TTT referred to in this thread, however, in particular has a defect. A pretty glaring error in fitment.

See where the arrow is pointing? The frame and slide should be even. It can happen with properly fit barrels, but the slide/frame still should be blended to look correct. It can happen when the lower lug feet of the barrel are over cut allowing the slide to travel to far forward. It is an indication that there may be something wrong with the fit, but certainly something wrong with the finish

Other than a finish issue, what problem would the "over cut" cause? Hammer not striking propery? Feed issues?

Not trolling - have no knowlege of 1911's and want one so want to get educated

Thanks for the lesson. I really do learn something new every day on NES. I just checked mine, and the frame and slide meet smoothly, with no fit/finish issues.

Is Wicked1911 likely to encounter any functional issues with this 'glaringly obvious' defect? The first pic he posted doesn't seem to show this problem as much as the pic showing it in the case.

Thanks for the lesson. I really do learn something new every day on NES. I just checked mine, and the frame and slide meet smoothly, with no fit/finish issues.

Is Wicked1911 likely to encounter any functional issues with this 'glaringly obvious' defect? The first pic he posted doesn't seem to show this problem as much as the pic showing it in the case.

Still going strong with zero issues. I think it just looks like it's not flush in the pic due to a bad angle or something, because in person it is flush.

It won't cause any problems, assuming the barrel fit is correct. It just looks bad.

Another vote for the Sig TTT. I have three 1911's and it is my go to gun. My S&W 1911PD and Custom Caspian sit more offten than not.

My next 1911 will be a Sig Scorpion Ultra Carry.

I picked up a R1 1911 about a month ago and have about 800 rds through it. I love it more every time I shoot it. Makes me wonder why I didn't get a 1911 earlier

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

People rave about the R1 so it is winning the hearts of consumers. According to the Remington website, only hardball is recommended and no plus P, but that is I am sure legalese and nothing more. Ruger says it's 1911's can fire any known commercially manufactured ammo. It also uses the traditional Series 70 firing pin system and passed the MA standards, uses a strong firing pin spring and a titanium firing pin. I think the R1 is a neat gun, but I favor the Ruger. You couldn't go wrong with either gun.

Armscor makes the Rock Island line of 1911's in the Philippines. It claims to be the largest manufacturer of 1911's in the world and is winning respect for economical and serviceable. 1911's. There is a good article about them in the current issue of American Rifleman. They have an ammo plant in MT and are commencing production in NV. My sensing is that they are going to be a big player in the entry level and budget 1911 market. I'd be willing to try one, if you like it, go for it IMO.

Bought a Rock Island 1911 the other day. Figure it is a good entry into the 1911 platform without breaking the bank. Only 50 rounds through it so far but for $500 how can you go wrong. I almost pulled the trigger on the ruger but couldn't justify the extra $200 right now.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk

Thanks everyone for the answers in this thread, and privately. Got my 1st 1911 the other day: http://us.armscor.com/products/1911-compact-gi-45acp

It fits my hand perfectly; some of the full sized 1911s I can't seem to get my hands around!

For those looking at R.I.A.s, I'll say that the carrying case is nice, and the gun is nicely presented, and it's packed in a bag and coated with oil/cosmolene. It smells like when I last bought a new lathe, which is an awesome smell......so I don't know if I'll ever shoot this thing I may just admire it often and smell the oil on it! Just kidding.

So......I have not fired it yet but am pleased with what I saw when I opened the box. I think it'll only get better from here.

Thanks for your help, everyone.

I'm going to throw in another recommendation for the R1 Enhanced. I love mine. Great value. Plus Remington is doing a $75 rebate or a match grade barrel if you buy before the end of May. I think I might be picking up the R1 now. My only complaint is why do they make the commander a $1k plus gun. Wish they had a cheaper version, if they did I would pick it up in a heartbeat.

I like the Rugers as well. Just when I felt them in the shop the action didnt' feel as nice as the Remington. I've been looking for a commander and thinking about the Ruger as it felt like a great gun and has great review as well.

I've also been looking at the Sigs as I kind of want a railed 1911. The only thing that bothers me about the sigs and this is a personal thing is that they use that stupid Sig rail. I'm sure some people like that but I prefer a more classic look. My only other option is S&W for a railed 1911 and they are a bit expensive.

As you can see I've been bit by the 1911 bug after getting my first one, so you've been warned this will happen to you, and I want $2k worth of 1911 right now with a budget of $0. Gotta rob a bank or win the lottery to feed this addiction.

Is there a long wait for the sr1911? As in if I have a favorite lgs that doesn't have it in Stock, is there a long wait to order one? That would certainly affect my decision at least a little.

Another vote for the Rem R1 Enhanced... I liked it the best of all the 1911s I held/shot in the price range. It has all the upgrades... Beaver tail, match barrel, checkering, fiber optic front sight, etc...

Shoots like a dream and accurate out of the box. The R1 Enhanced had the best trigger of any I tried (in that price range).

I really like the Sig 1911 XO I got.

I also liked the S&W stainless I had.

People rave about the R1 so it is winning the hearts of consumers. According to the Remington website, only hardball is recommended and no plus P, but that is I am sure legalese and nothing more. Ruger says it's 1911's can fire any known commercially manufactured ammo. It also uses the traditional Series 70 firing pin system and passed the MA standards, uses a strong firing pin spring and a titanium firing pin. I think the R1 is a neat gun, but I favor the Ruger. You couldn't go wrong with either gun.

Armscor makes the Rock Island line of 1911's in the Philippines. It claims to be the largest manufacturer of 1911's in the world and is winning respect for economical and serviceable. 1911's. There is a good article about them in the current issue of American Rifleman. They have an ammo plant in MT and are commencing production in NV. My sensing is that they are going to be a big player in the entry level and budget 1911 market. I'd be willing to try one, if you like it, go for it IMO.

+1

After reading many reviews and looking at my lean budget, I just recently settled on a new Rock Island Armory 1911 Match. Purchased it new here in MA. IMHO, damn good for the money. My only issue so far is that it doesn't like my (curse words) out of spec reloads. Go figure!

View attachment 81084

Is that RIA made in the Phillippenes?

Last edited:
I have 7. Cheapest is govt ruger. I have alloy and steel frames. Govts & commanders with and without rails and or bobtailed. They get pricey. Drooling over a nighthawk custom now. Don't shoot often but I love them. Remington r1 and ruger 1911 are base guns. My ruger is smooth and solid. My recommendation would be to get the commander not the govt. that way you can carry if u choose. I carry 1911's in a crossbreed supertuck.

eja2e7ap.jpg
al

Alloy officers frame, commander lightened slide with tritium sights and vs grips.

Back
Top Bottom