• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

What 1911 should I get?

The Springfield Range Officer seems to be pretty "tricked out" for the money. I don't know if this is MA compliant or if your even in MA since I'm using a mobil app.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9810 using Tapatalk

It isn't on the MA approved roster.

Does anyone know the difference between the r1 and the enhanced Remington? I'm bummed I missed that price Loki what show was that?

Does anyone know the difference between the r1 and the enhanced Remington? I'm bummed I missed that price Loki what show was that?

* Adjustable Rear Sight
* Fiber-Optic Front Sight (Red)
* Front/Rear Slide Serrations
* Beavertail Grip Safety with Checkered Memory Bump
* Enhanced Hammer
* Anodized Aluminum Match Trigger
* Enhanced Wide Thumb Safety
* Flat Checkered Mainspring Housing (20 LPI)
* Match Grade Stainless Barrel and Bushing
* Front Grip Strap Serrations
* Custom Grips with Thumb Groove and Ambi Cut
* 8-Round Magazines with Bumper Pad (2)

It is a great gun.

I have a S&W E series. It is pure sex out of the box. It is over $1200 out the door though. When my wife and I talked about it this was going to be my carry. Choose well if it's a carry, if it's a range gun then what ever works for you.

838a6c74.jpg

I have one and I love it. I picked it up from Acme Armament the day after Thanksgiving. Very accurate has yet to have a FTF of FTE and it was a great price. This is the TALO

IMG-20111126-00054.jpg

* Adjustable Rear Sight
* Fiber-Optic Front Sight (Red)
* Front/Rear Slide Serrations
* Beavertail Grip Safety with Checkered Memory Bump
* Enhanced Hammer
* Anodized Aluminum Match Trigger
* Enhanced Wide Thumb Safety
* Flat Checkered Mainspring Housing (20 LPI)
* Match Grade Stainless Barrel and Bushing
* Front Grip Strap Serrations
* Custom Grips with Thumb Groove and Ambi Cut
* 8-Round Magazines with Bumper Pad (2)

It is a great gun.

I love my R1 Enhanced. I have 600 rounds through it with no failures. I'm so glad I bought it over the Colt and Kimber.

What has anybody had for results shooting JHP through the Remington R1? I really alike the gun, but don't really have a use for something that won't shoot JHP reliably (part of the reason me and my PPK parted ways).

Those aren't Mass compliant are they???? How do i legally get my hands on one????

They are not on the MA Approved Firearms Roster. Your best bet is to find a MA resident with an LTC who wants to sell one to you in a private sale. You might find a Les Baer if you are lucky. I doubt that you'll find a Nighthawk. I found a Wilson at Collectors some years ago. Of course, I paid a hefty premium.

Real men shoot Colt 1911s. Jack.

Well...I actually prefer my Ruger to my Colt, but I'd never part with gun with the rampant pony on it because afterall it is a Colt.

The OP would do well in Massachusetts with a Remington, a Ruger, or a S&W. The thing that the Ruger has going for it is the Series 70 firing pin system that still passes the drop test by using a titanium firing pin. The Remington uses a Series 80 which probably doesn't give as good a trigger pull as the Series 70 (which is really a misnomer as it is the original system) and the S&W uses something similar to the Swartz System used briefly by Colt in the 1930's. So if you want the original unadulterated 1911 style trigger system go with the Ruger. Don't worry too much about castings and such, Remington uses castings as well. Some people get all worked up about it and get into long metallurgical treatises about forged vs cast, but in reality for the average shooter, I really don't think that it is going to matter a whole lot unless you plan on shooting 150, 000 rounds per year or something like that and even then, you would be replacing a lot of other parts first before the frame cracked.

I'd say if you like the Remington get the Remington. You are going to get a lot of opinions. I don't know if the enhanced ones are MA compliant or not, but you can always get one through a private party sale. They are out there.

Wilson, Ed Brown, Nighthawk are fantastic guns and Kimber has its following too, but the first three are very pricey and hard to get in Massachusetts. Avoid Para-Ordnance at all costs. They have new owners and supposedly are upgrading their QC, I'd adopt a wait and see attitude at this point. The Auto-Ordnance guns available in MA are strictly GI type with a Series 80 firing pin system, hardball guns, fun to shoot, not terribly expensive and much better than the old Auto Ordnance but more of a fun or range gun or gun for WWII reenactors.

Last edited:
My Brother just bought a Sig 1911 TTT. This is one awesome gun, it shots straight and is real nice looking. I think it was 850 at Four Seasons.

I had the R1 but decided to trade it in for the Sig TTT

One more vote for the SIG 1911 TTT, I love mine and it has been flawless so far with just over 1000 rounds put through it. I love the look and the feel of this gun, and the night sights on it are great.

Mine:
65130932_zps23e6916a.jpg

6105E78C-orig_zps2dcc2c27.jpg

With black WC grips:
D08C5ED2-orig_zps5f47a52e.jpg

3DDF6CE7-orig_zps8cf413e9.jpg

Sig Target... $775 new and comes fully decked out (checkered front strap, adjustable target sights, flat recoil spring, nice trigger, etc.). Mine will shoot 16rds thru a single 1.25" hole. Great bang for the buck gun.

The base R1 is a good platform to start modding, but in stock form the sights suck, trigger isn't that good, no front strap treatment, and has a GI style beavertail. The slide/frame and bushing/barrel fits are nice and tight.

The Auto Odrnance has the same issues as the R1, but is sloppy loose compared to the R1.

The Ruger is plain Jane with nice fixed sights and a nice trigger out of the box. There are no front strap treatments, and there has been some QC issues recently (front sights falling off and slides that have been developing rust).

I don't have any experience with S&W's.

I have one and I love it. I picked it up from Acme Armament the day after Thanksgiving. Very accurate has yet to have a FTF of FTE and it was a great price. This is the TALO

IMG-20111126-00054.jpg

nice gun but i'm guessing your wife picked out the tablecloth

After reading many reviews and looking at my lean budget, I just recently settled on a new Rock Island Armory 1911 Match. Purchased it new here in MA. IMHO, damn good for the money. My only issue so far is that it doesn't like my (curse words) out of spec reloads. Go figure!

RIA1911Match.JPG

nice gun but i'm guessing your wife picked out the tablecloth

[laugh] Yeah, I have never in my life picked out a table cloth, curtain or drapes.

I continue to be impressed with the R1. I also have a Sig Stainless Target and although I like it, the Remington is more accurate. The Rem is also very heavy, which I like.

wow, they didn't even come close with blending the slide to frame or the lower lugs are over cut

SIG's QC has been in the pooper ever since they got Ron Cohen as the new CEO.

Cohen came from Kimber.

That said, I still lust after their P210 Legend. It's no Sig P210-6, but whatevs.

I have also been trying to decide which 1911 to purchase. While researching, I read some comments about the quality of the newer Remingtons (I had decided on the enhanced by that time). They were not positive. Has anybody any experience with Remington quality? After reading the comments, I switched to Colt, which I still prefer, but I live in Massachusetts. 'Nuff said? Thanks everybody.

Those aren't Mass compliant are they???? How do i legally get my hands on one????

As fencer said....ask and ye shall receive for a fair price. I have a Nighthawk T3 that nobody on here would come close to my asking price and starting to consider selling my Guncrafter No Name. If you have the cash, I have the goods.

I have also been trying to decide which 1911 to purchase. While researching, I read some comments about the quality of the newer Remingtons (I had decided on the enhanced by that time). They were not positive. Has anybody any experience with Remington quality? After reading the comments, I switched to Colt, which I still prefer, but I live in Massachusetts. 'Nuff said? Thanks everybody.

no issues with mine in 500 or so rounds.. I have an R1 Enhanced and I wouldn't trade it at this point.

I have looked at several 1911's in stores and for my 1st 1911, believe it or not, I like the looks and feel of the Rock Island Armory the best. It'll be a starter gun for me in the 1911 type, and I can upgrade to "better" 1911's in the future if desire dictates, and if funding allows. That said, for a newbie shooter (and even more newbie to 1911's), is there any reason NOT to buy one? I have read reviews on them and it seems to be a fine entry level 1911 for someone in my shoes. I shoot paper and tin cans for fun; no competitions. Thanks.

That said, for a newbie shooter (and even more newbie to 1911's), is there any reason NOT to buy one? I have read reviews on them and it seems to be a fine entry level 1911 for someone in my shoes. I shoot paper and tin cans for fun; no competitions. Thanks.
That's about all you can do - read as many reviews as you can, try it out if possible, and then plunk down the cash. I'm a newbie who just bought his first 1911, an R1, and so far I love it. A little over 200 rounds through it with zero issues. FWIW, I've heard good things about RIA but I had trouble finding one... plus Remington is running a $75 rebate until the end of May.

Back
Top Bottom