• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

what 10mm pistol?

Shoots great.
i-CDbhLbt-L.jpg
Honestly these are great... for a big 10mm they shoot very flat.

thanks for the replies.
the G20 is the winner so far.... but in reality i am a reluctant glock fan.

I wonder how much id have to spend on the G20 to get it to perform like my P320 in my hands?

trigger. maybe a spring and guide rod....
i am unsure of what upgrades i would like, last glock i fired was 10 years ago, but i still remember the spongy trigger.
I'd leave it completely alone. I own four Glocks. They're all bone stock and I've never had an issue with any of them. I bought my gen 2, model 19 used in 1990 and I've shot the ever loving shit out of it with nothing but the parts it was born with. I shoot mainly cast lead reloads, and other than cleaning it every 400-500 rounds I haven't done a thing to it.

any advice?

G

FWIW Most native Alaskans consider 12 gauge or 44 magnum to be the starting point for grizzly country. I carry a Smith and Wesson 329PD when in big bear country, nice and lite. And 10mm back here. If fishing in Alaska consider a 12ga with a pistol grip attached to your pack and a 44 mag on your person. Alaska is amazing. Have fun.

Glad I took the time to scan through this thread.... was seriously considering a G29, now turning my attention to the G20, thanks everyone!

I'll take the bad G29 off your hands for a couple of hundred bucks. I have one for my right hand and could use another for my left hand. [smile]

I have a Glock 29 SF, its really snappy and tears up my hand pretty quick. The G20 is way more fun to shoot. That Legion though, its a full steel frame and heavy, beautifully balanced. You know what Boris the Blade says about heavy guns, so theres that too.

Defense against brown bears / grizzlies? I'd ask locals in the area you will visit what caliber they recommend. Your best bet might be something with a little more juice than a 10mm. YRMV...

Your best bet against a griz is bear spray.
Maybe. My cousins hunting partner would probably disagree. While working in MT year before last he was mauled twice by a sow after he sprayed her good. And the “numbers” are real close as to effectiveness spray vs handgun (6%+spray)And 10ish% long gun v spray. And these numbers aren’t an exact science. I know of more than one guy who’s let a round rip to get the attention/woard off a bear moving their way. These type encounters aren’t reported when the report of a rifle is all it takes to change a bears mind. I’d carry both if possible. But I’d never go without the great equalizer.

I have a ruger in 10 . I loved the gun at first . Guns been back for repair twice . All factory ammo no reloads . First the front sight broke off and shortly after that the rear sight broke in half at the elevation screw . The final straw was the barrel lug cracked were the link pin goes through . Ruger service was good , they send me shipping labels and returns the junk in short order . Would NOT recommend. I don't know how to post pics off this phone but if you want to see the damage pm me a number I can text to and I'll send a pic or2. I have a Springfield now with about 400 rounds through it and nothing has fallen of and the gun runs well . I usually don't bad mouth a product but the ruger is a piece of crap

Pretty much everything ruger makes is.

A lot of people seem to feel this way about Rugers from what I'm reading... I can't tell if people write so many bad things about their guns because they sell more than anyone else, or if their quality really has gone that far downhill.

Certainly the experience you (gscott) had with the SR1911 10mm isn't good. But then I read all kinds of good reviews online about that gun... I wonder if they just send reviewers the handpicked cream of the crop off the assembly line? Or if the problems only show up over time?

Last edited:
FWIW Most native Alaskans consider 12 gauge or 44 magnum to be the starting point for grizzly country. I carry a Smith and Wesson 329PD when in big bear country, nice and lite. And 10mm back here. If fishing in Alaska consider a 12ga with a pistol grip attached to your pack and a 44 mag on your person. Alaska is amazing. Have fun.

+1

10mm is the greatest thing since sliced bread... in NE.

Alaska = S&W460. Fill it with Casull or 460 depending on how large your testicles are.

Can you not shoot the hard cast 10mm loads out of a factory barrel?
I’ve read some barrels on some glocks are questionable. I remember reading about some buffalo boar (I think)being to much for older glock 10mm barrels. Gen 4 I think is ok.

Just FYI: you can convert a G21 to 10mm and the conversion barrel lets you shoot hard cast. You cannot* convert a G20 to .45 though.

*The frames are the same, just the slides are different. You CAN buy a G20 slide and put it on your G21 frame but you'll still need an aftermarket 10mm barrel to shoot hard cast. That said, I don't think you'd have issues shooting hard cast 10mm through a stock G20 barrel in a defensive scenario, as it's just a few rounds and the barrel won't get that dirty. I wouldn't put several hundred rounds through it though.

Update.
I finally got a G20 SF. with a lone wolf tactical slide and barrel (@5" barrel).
I think that it should make a good alaskan carry. a little longer barrel but not a 6" MOS.

ballistically a big revolver makes more sense, but i went for round count. I can get off way more rounds in an accurate manner with an auto than with either a SA or DA revolver.

When i get a chance to shoot it ill give you another update

thanks for the replies

G

I am pretty sure that G29 was pushing the 10mm along at 40s&w speeds with all the bulk of a 10mm pistol.

Lol, no. Chrono it. The loss would not be that bad, it's not like running 357 mag through a snub (which is a gigantic velocity loss). If you don't have a Chrono I would be glad to let you borrow mine for a long-ass time... lol.

-Mike

+1 on a rifle. I wouldnt set foot in Brown bear country with just a 10mm on my hip. To a 1200lb boar, a couple of 10mm rounds fired in panic would be an appetizer before the main course: You.

Interesting article in the Rifleman awhile back . The environmental cops or whatever they call themselves in Greenland, I'm having a Ford moment and don't remember carry 30/06 's but also 10mm handguns .. polar bear and muskox country. I assume the 06 is the main go to but interesting they chose 10mm for a sidearm . I'm running a Springfield Armory 10 now and so far so good . Its had a steady diet of Underwood ammo and unlike the ruger nothings fallen off or broken.

Back
Top Bottom