• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

what 10mm pistol?

im looking for a good 10mm auto pistol for an alaskan trip.
I am a big sig fan, but the p220 is only 8+1

however i do like my new p320 X5 (striker fired) so maybe a glock is the one?

20, 29 or 40?
I think the 10mm needs a longer barrel to build up the energy so now its down to 20 or 40

So i suppose the question is how big is the G40? is it too cumbersome? to use or carry?

Is there anything else out there i should consider? at least 10+1 or more

id live a p320 10mm but am unsure if that will ever happen.

G

15 round capacity magazines don't hurt, either (if you can get them).

Cant go wrong with 16 rounds of that shit.

tenor.gif

G20 or 40, P220-10 SAO, or a RIA double stack 1911. I've had a G20L (6" barrel and slide) for years; I built it before the G40 was an option. It's awesome. I recently got a 220-10 and haven't shot it yet, but the fit and finish of it is very very nice.

G20 Gen 3 w 22# recoil spring
RIA 1911 full size
Sig P220 10mm
Kriss Vector carbine 10mm

I own and dig all 3 of them but if I could only keep one it would be the G20 for sure. The G40 is also cool I just dont have a desire to own both. Had a G29 and never liked it, plus the cartridge needs some barrel length to get moving. The 10mm carbine is basically a rifle.

G20 Gen 3 w 22# recoil spring
RIA 1911 full size
Sig P220 10mm
Kriss Vector carbine 10mm

I own and dig all 3 of them but if I could only keep one it would be the G20 for sure. The G40 is also cool I just dont have a desire to own both. Had a G29 and never liked it, plus the cartridge needs some barrel length to get moving. The 10mm carbine is basically a rifle.

Yeah, I had a G29 and thought it was cool until I actually understood things like barrel length and it's effect on velocity. I am pretty sure that G29 was pushing the 10mm along at 40s&w speeds with all the bulk of a 10mm pistol.

Even though I have an over the top G40, and love it and will never get rid of it, it is not in the least bit practical. I will likely get a G20 at some point so I can 10mm without going full retard.

thanks for the replies.
the G20 is the winner so far.... but in reality i am a reluctant glock fan.

I wonder how much id have to spend on the G20 to get it to perform like my P320 in my hands?

trigger. maybe a spring and guide rod....
i am unsure of what upgrades i would like, last glock i fired was 10 years ago, but i still remember the spongy trigger.

any advice?

G

i am unsure of what upgrades i would like, last glock i fired was 10 years ago, but i still remember the spongy trigger.

any advice?

G

I've found the Gen4 stock triggers to be more tolerable than the Gen2/3s. I think most that don't get a drop in trigger usually go with Ghost or Apex connectors. If I was going to replace the guide rod, I'd go tungsten and get a couple springs to test function.

thanks for the replies.
the G20 is the winner so far.... but in reality i am a reluctant glock fan.

I wonder how much id have to spend on the G20 to get it to perform like my P320 in my hands?

any advice?

G

I will say my G40 came with the best feeling trigger I have squeezed in a Glock, only the G19x that shot was close.

A trainer I respect wrote that "The primary reason Glocks fail is that their owners improved them." If I was choosing a Glock for protection from dangerous animals, I would keep this in mind.

In my mind, the most critical step after purchase is to shoot at least 100 rounds of carry ammo to prove function. The gun needs to work, but it does not need to be a target gun. Shooting much more than 100 rounds is even better.

I am not saying to never modify a pistol. For example, if an aftermarket barrel with standard rifling was required to improve velocity and allow for better bullet types, then I would do that before testing. But I would be judicious about sticking to modifications that were really important.

Last edited:
I have a ruger in 10 . I loved the gun at first . Guns been back for repair twice . All factory ammo no reloads . First the front sight broke off and shortly after that the rear sight broke in half at the elevation screw . The final straw was the barrel lug cracked were the link pin goes through . Ruger service was good , they send me shipping labels and returns the junk in short order . Would NOT recommend. I don't know how to post pics off this phone but if you want to see the damage pm me a number I can text to and I'll send a pic or2. I have a Springfield now with about 400 rounds through it and nothing has fallen of and the gun runs well . I usually don't bad mouth a product but the ruger is a piece of crap

Not at all what you asked about, but I love my Smith & Wesson 610. Yes it's a revolver, so you only get 6 shots. But with a 6.5" barrel you get a nice long sight radius, don't lose anything in the velocity department, and get a gun that's a real tack driver. Moon clips make reloading nearly as fast as a mag change. And if you shoot in single action mode the trigger is a dream. Moreover since it's a large frame revolver you can shoot the hottest loads all day without tearing your hand up or worrying about damage to the gun.

Back
Top Bottom