what 10 items would you take for the Alone TV show?

google it, or search yt if you've no knowledge of the show. I've got a post about it in the "off topic" subforum here, too.

The traditional picks have always just failed. the ferrorod, 2 qt pot, sleeping bag, paracord, axe, saw, belt knife are loser-picks. The rations have been cut to 2 lbs each (from 5 lbs each) and a max of 2 are allowed, so they are not worth taking. The gillnet has been cut in size from 150 sq ft to 50 sq ft and from 2" mesh to 1.5" mesh, so it's worthless, too. Take treblehooks not single hooks. 8 of them instead of 25 are allowed. Take one of Chief aj's slingbows, not a regular bow, so that you can make baked clay balls as ammo for the slingbow. It's got a pouch and a cross string, so you can use balls or arrows.

I'd take the Cold Steel shovel, modified to have 8" of saw edge. I'd take a modified Crunch multitool, the fishing kit (as treblehooks) a 5 qt skillet with lid (Amazon) a 2 person cotton rope hammock (11 strand 750 paracord would be a LOT better, if you can sneak it past them) Take the 12x12 tarp, the snarewire, the big roll of duct tape. If I'm not going to be on a seacoast, I have to take the 3 lb block of salt. If I am going to be on the sea, then I'll take the 2 lbs of sugar and 1 lb of salt, as preservatives, bait, and to help me choke down all the cambium and fish I'll have to eat. Take the slingbow, with most of the arrows featuring 4-tined fishing heads. Convert the tines of all but one into 2 fishhooks each, courtesy of the multitool. use the snare wire to convert the single hooks into treblehooks. They give you 30 lbs of camera gear and some safety items ( you have film EVERYTHING that you do) you can take a fair amount of clothing. they give you a 20x20 and a 10x10 tarp. The small one is to shield the camera, but you are allowed to use it as a shelter (but you can't cut it up or use it as a boat-skin. So you cut up the 20x20, making half of it (and all of the 12x12) into netting. You unravel the hammock, break down the rope into its smallest strands and make netting out of that, also. You'll make bedding out of a hunk of tarp and local debris, dried out with hot rocks. Unless you are by far the fattest dude, you have to focus on foraging food. That means net fishing, if there's any decent sized body of water. It means making a couple of large, baited net-weirs and a seine, using the seine (with poles pushed into the mud to hold it for you) to move fish towards your weirs. The weirs use the shoreline as one of the "wings" of your weir, so that your netting goes further. Ditto, you make 3" mesh netting and then into it, you weave splits of local vegetation, converting it to 1.5" mesh. Gillnets are extremely inefficient, cause they can't catch fish that are larger than the mesh and can't be baited. Also, they (and trotlines) soon kill the catch. This means that you have to service the trotlines and gillnets every few hours, or predators/rot get most of the fish. Seines and net weirs catch everything larger than the mesh, and keep the catch alive for quite a while. Such holding pens can serve as great bait for "boxtraps" made of netting and sapling frames, for treblehooks that are wired to drag logs,

Snares, made out of 4 strands of the snare wire can be used to trap bigger critters, like bears, deer, hogs, but have to have the right area and a lot of the right kind of bait. Dont bother with a long trapline, cause you'll burn more calories than you'll get back, trying to service it. Put baited traps all along your route to and from water, wood, shelter, and all around your shelter. maybe 50-100m away, tops.l Forget about deadfalls, except at proven active dens of slow animals, like coons, groundhogs, porcupines. Such traps catch anyting so rarely, they are not worth the time and calories spent on them, until you've eaten so much fish and preserved so much more fish, that you're sick of it and have to have some fat. With fish, salt, cambium providing bait, and calories while you make and service a trapline, you might be able to change your diet a bit and get the fat you need so badly.

You can make netting by firelight, also braid wire into stronger cables that way. you can make netting as you wait in a baited tree stand, slingbow at hand, ready to arrow a hog, bear, deer. You can make netting as you sit on your pontoon outrigger raft, a bait bag on a pole, just touching the water, a harpoon and fishing arrow/slingbow at hand. There should be zero time just goofing off, until you are forced to hole up for the winter.

Never watched the show. I don't really watch TV.
I checked a couple of sites and have one big question to your question. Is it any 10 items of my choosing or is there a list that I pick 10 things from? I take it this isn't like the naked and alone show so is clothing all 1 item or is, say a pair of boots 2 items? A 5lb sack of rice? What's the region and what time of year I am starting at? Currently it seems to be Mongolia.
So, if I were to venture into the wild to live alone, and I could have 10 items, not including clothes;
4.25 lb felling axe, Maine pattern
Cross cut saw, champion tooth pattern
File
5lb rice
Stevens 75 with full magazine
Roll monofilament
Package 2/0 of hooks
5 qt stainless steel pot with lid
My fixed blade knife
First aid kit

You get to take a lot of clothing, that's not part of your 10 items. You have to pick from a list. As I stated, you can google for the show's rules, or search youtube, and I have a link to that on my other post. You dont get to take a gun or a file, but a file blade on a multi-tool is ok (and very superior to wasting a pick on just a belt knife or just a file) You dont get to take a pot with more than 2 qt capacity, but there's no size limit on a skillet. You can take only 25 fishhooks and 900 ft of fishline (has to be monofilament( better to take 8 trebles and one single hook) They give you a first aid kit, so you dont need to waste a pick on it.

I stated above that the rations have been reduced to 2 lbs each. if you take the multi-tool and the modified Shovel, you dont need the axe, the saw, or the belt knife. The shovel can chop and saw and you'll be also able to dig, move hot rocks, coals, charcoal, snow, stuff that fell into the fire. You can't take the gun or the file. The first aid kit is provided for you. The 2 lbs of rice is not worth taking. You can't have a 5 qt pot, either, Just a 2 qt pot or whatever size STEEL skillet you want. The hooks and line are combined in one item for the show. So, of your 10 picks, only the fishing kit is allowed or makes sense. :) What you gonna start fires with? What you gonna use for cordage? How will you stay dry and warm while sleeping?

Last edited:
ever notice that people who have nothing to contribute just GOTTA say SOMETHING, no matter how asinine it is?

why do you ask such a thing? Lots of people dont have TVs, but prison inmates have access to them, but they dont have internet. Internet access or a cell phone would probably be considered escape material.

if you know a few things, you need to do very little wood processing. You're not going to get thru the winter on this show. You're not going to be allowed to stay 4 months, and you wont need to do so, vs the sort of weaklings that get on this show, either. If you know to use a simple tarp shelter for the first 6-8 weeks, you can move it as you need to get close to squaw wood. If you know to use a gravity fed Dakota fire pit or a Siberian fire lay, you dont have to cut wood to length, any shorter than it takes to carry it. You just feed it into the fire from the end. If you know to use pontoons, you only need 7 of the 8 ft long, 4" logs for the raft, some 3 ft long, 3" logs to dovetail across the raft-logs and a couple of 11 ft long, 6" OD logs to make the diagonal braces for the outrigger log. That's not much wood processing, so the Cold steel shovel (saw edged) can handle it. Once it gets really cold, what you want is a dugout, stuffed full of dry debris, a foot of it all around you, tightly compressed, so that you dont have to waste time and calories on cutting/hauling wood for a fire. If you know to make a seep well, build a little wall around it, cover it with a bit of tarp, to keep out the bugs, bird crap and creepy-crawlies, and then make a water filter, you dont have to waste time, wood, or calories on boiling water to drink, either.

Look, why dont you just admit that you dont have a clue about how to go about this challenge, instead of jeering from the sidelines like some special olympics candidate?

Who me? Was just checking to see if you’re koo koo for Cocoa Puffs.

Weren’t you here last year as username bilra? The same guy that’s been banned from nearly every website you’ve ever visited?

A flat square of netting CAN be used as a cast net, in clear, shallow water with no brush or kelp or algea or big rocks on the bottom. Weight the outside edges of the net, with small stones, gather it around you and spin it out flat, to drop onto the fish This will stir up mud. Wait until the mud clears, and then, wade it with a sharp, rounded stick and a bag. wherever you feel a trapped fish, stick him in the head with the stick Dong risk losing your knife, or cutting your net or your hand.. Raise one corner of the net, the dead fish will float to the top, where you'll gather them into the bag. Repeat on the rest of the corners of the net
Read more

in a solid month of reserich and trying, you coild not put up as much good stuff here as I've done in one day. I bet that's hard for second=handers to live with. Nobod's giving you participation medals for doing nothing but jeering. That's got to be hard on you poor lil snowflakes.

in a solid month of reserich and trying, you coild not put up as much good stuff here as I've done in one day. I bet that's hard for second=handers to live with. Nobod's giving you participation medals for doing nothing but jeering. That's got to be hard on you poor lil snowflakes.

For posterity.

It's a stupid TV show.
I don't have to stay past 4 months? I don't need an axe or saw. Just a tent, zippo, fishing line, a pack of Lucky Strikes, and a bottle of single malt.
Oh, carbon steel fry pan.
Edit: this I've done for over a month. No big deal. These TV shows find people who make good entertainment, not country hicks like me.

Look, why dont you just admit that you dont have a clue about how to go about this challenge, instead of jeering from the sidelines like some special olympics candidate?

I just think if I wanted advice about the show, I'd ask someone who has been successful in actually getting on the show.

This is like taking knife fighting advice from someone who's never even been in a knife fight.

my dsa fal 308 carbine with 8 hi cap mags and a 1911, plenty of ammo for both, and just take, steal or rob what i need

Good choices. Wiggum is making the mistake of playing by their rules. What the producers are looking for is a rebel who will sneak/plant supplies to get the job done, which makes for good tv. There are no rules or fairness in nature, and that's the point he's hopelessly missing.

one benefit of this is he'll have no internet...

good luck and have fun. i wonder if we'll recognize you in the bear scat

In case anyone hasn't figure it out yet, this is just the famous internet troll known as gunkid, aka convicted criminal John Davis. Stop feeding him.

In case anyone hasn't figure it out yet, this is just the famous internet troll known as gunkid, aka convicted criminal John Davis. Stop feeding him.
I had assumed it was you. Come on, admit it. You want to live in a 5' hole in the ground. In New England.
Riddle :
What do you get when you dig a 5' hole in the ground in the Noth east?

A: 4' of water.

I had assumed it was you. Come on, admit it. You want to live in a 5' hole in the ground. In New England.
Riddle :
What do you get when you dig a 5' hole in the ground in the Noth east?

A: 4' of water.

You just described my back yard.

It can work, just pattern the "hole" after the mound type of septic system. Pile dirt up around the section of space you want to be a "hole", and voila! Instant hole! With drainage.

Back
Top Bottom