What 10/22 receiver? (Options now that Nodak Spud is discontinued)

I'm not looking to spend +$200 for Tactical Inc, Kidd, or +$400 for TacSol, Volquartsen.

With the NDS-22 being discontinued, what are the options for a 10/22 receiver for a pistol build? Is the quality of the BRN-22 the same as the Nodak? Or should I just look for a base model Charger and strip it for parts?

Anybody tried the DEFCAD weldable design?
weldable-medium-1022.png

---- Edit ----
Added Kidd, with link.

Last edited:
cant we 3d print these at this point?

Any how my friend picked up a kidd and its nice?

In theory, a 3D printed 10/22 receiver would be unlikely to fail catastrophically.

OTOH, printed in ABS or nylon I'd expect it to very quickly start to crack around the barrel v-block and also the places where Ruger's own aluminum receivers most often fail -- around the buffer bolt hole and at the rear of the ejection port.

Just go for an 80% receiver if you have a drill press. ;)
Given the complexity of the drilling operations for Razor (especially the barrel hole), I'd have a better chance of success starting with flat stock and following the DEFCAD weldable design on the 3-axis CNC milling machine.

lol just buy a charger
Looking at prices, tearing down a used charger ($200ish) looks attractive compared to the in-stock 80% vendors:

Last edited:
Given the complexity of the drilling operations for Razor (especially the barrel hole), I'd have a better chance of success starting with flat stack and following the DEFCAD weldable design on the 3-axis CNC milling machine.

Looking at prices, tearing down a used charger ($200ish) looks attractive compared to the in-stock 80% vendors:
Then you have to make sure they have the jigs in stock if you plane to go that route.

The finished Kidd slip fit barrel style is like $180

Dude, they have jigs for those 80% 10/22 receivers that make it pretty easy (from what I've seen). Easier than doing an AR15 80% lower. Or at least not any more involved. Just be sure that your table/chuck is true and you should be good to go. I've thought about getting the jig and a couple of lowers since I have a floor drill press (and can tram the table). Just not a priority.

Given the complexity of the drilling operations for Razor (especially the barrel hole), I'd have a better chance of success starting with flat stack and following the DEFCAD weldable design on the 3-axis CNC milling machine.

With a CNC cant you down load one of the many files blue prints cad drawings out there and crank out a complete receiver?

Heck im tempted to find a chunk of aluminum and start cuttinv
ruger 10/22 receiver blueprints - Google Search

With a CNC cant you down load one of the many files blue prints cad drawings out there and crank out a complete receiver?

Yup... If you're good, you don't even need CNC to do it either. ;) A rotary table might help with some of it, but you could probably figure out another way.

In theory, a 3D printed 10/22 receiver would be unlikely to fail catastrophically.

They don't. They just stop operating. Mine hasn't yet, but it has technically failed.

OTOH, printed in ABS or nylon I'd expect it to very quickly start to crack around the barrel v-block and also the places where Ruger's own aluminum receivers most often fail -- around the buffer bolt hole and at the rear of the ejection port.

Mine beat the bolt retaining pin out the back of the receiver. Failed along layer boundaries. Had I printed with higher infill, and/or in a different orientation, it would probably still be in one piece.

Everything else held up just fine... well, the printed barrel retaining block failed after several hundred rounds (I would have used a metal one, but they were unavailable when I was testing, so I made one).

Printed in PLA, with a PLA rail screwed to the top and a BSA Sweet22 scope, the rifle functioned just fine and held zero for several months and many range trips.

The plastic barrel retaining clamp failed and at the same time I noticed the bolt retaining pin had broken the back of the receiver. I glued that up, swapped to a metal clamp, and everything was back to normal.

Even with the failures, the only symptom was a loss of accuracy when the barrel went loose which would have happened no matter what the receiver was made from.

The blueprints available on the net are incomplete and there are some errors in them.

There wasn't enough information in them to let me build up my model without taking a bunch of measurements off of Ruger's parts. They were a good starting point, but they aren't complete.

The blueprints available on the net are incomplete and there are some errors in them.

There wasn't enough information in them to let me build up my model without taking a bunch of measurements off of Ruger's parts. They were a good starting point, but they aren't complete.
some day when im bored im going to cut one out with a dremel and file kit from harbor freight!

Back
Top Bottom