What’s your deer slug gun of choice? (Ma only)

Lots of folks use the Savage bolt actions. They handle and shoot like a rifle, not a shotgun. Well the 212 kicks like a shotgun but you really want the 20ga 220 which doesn’t kick nearly so much. More than enough power and range for any MA deer hunting scenario. I’ve shot 3 shot cloverleaf groups with my 220 at 100 yards. Sabot slugs punch right through deer, lots of blood and they don’t go far.

Anyone use a bolt-action shotgun anymore??? You never see them. I remember Costa's in Raynham had one or two for years in the used "please just buy me" rack.

Been shooting the 20" 590 A1 with sights the last couple weeks. Seems to do quite well...if I do my part. The trigger is heavier than I would like, and I've had to adjust my grip in order to stop hitting myself in the nose with my right thumb. Likes the Rem 2 3/4's which is good cause they're cheap. The sights required only a very minor adjustment. It seems to be handy to carry, and I think it will fit right into it's intended role of the thicket and swamp gun. I do find that shooting anymore than 25 or 30 in one session is somewhat...well...counter productive.

Youth day yesterday my 14 year old took a 100 pound doe with his Mossberg 500 20 gauge at a 100 yards. One of those super proud moments as a dad .... and I was there to watch when he took his first deer.
Beautiful!

Youth day yesterday my 14 year old took a 100 pound doe with his Mossberg 500 20 gauge at a 100 yards. One of those super proud moments as a dad .... and I was there to watch when he took his first deer.

Awesome. You never forget your first.

Youth days are a fantastic way to introduce youth to hunting. What state were you in?

Bob

Very awesome. Congrats!

My best hunting memories are the days my son shot his first deer with the rifle at 10 and his first bow deer at 12.

It’s been an 870 20guage cantilevered, rifled, slug barrel. 4X scope. Shooting Hornady Slugs. For some reason i decided I needed to go back to open sites so I bought another 20G 870 that seems to be a laser beam out to 60 yards. I opted for the ( you can laugh) youth model as it is a bit lighter and has a shorter length of pull. My wife will also use this gun from time to time. Gun is like a feather compared to my old Ithaca smooth. Long walks in the woods with this gun will be that much easier.
20g youth is fine for cold weather with heavy layering.
20g youth is my "HD" shotgun also

i have not hunted in 20years but I have my winchester speedpump the fastest semi auto pump gen evah!
Also have the 870 express field and slug barrel combo. Its downed plenty of birds and clays but only presented with 1 shot in the 5 seasons I stepped out with it.

Thanks Mark. I had no idea it was this early.

We don’t have kids so it’s not something I really kept track of. I always thought it was the Saturday before the season opened.

Bob

It was youth day in MA and it was a great day weather wise. It one of the good thing that MA actually does to get kids into the sport. I feel bad because my kids is going to go to school tomorrow and only be able to tell a couple of his close buddies.... Wacko dude that was some great eating tonight. My kids are not big meat eaters but they loved it. Plenty of joke around dinner tonight.

It was youth day in MA and it was a great day weather wise. It one of the good thing that MA actually does to get kids into the sport. I feel bad because my kids is going to go to school tomorrow and only be able to tell a couple of his close buddies.... Wacko dude that was some great eating tonight. My kids are not big meat eaters but they loved it. Plenty of joke around dinner tonight.
It's a shame they kids feel the need to hide that they hunt. I get it.......it's a different world.

My boy used to be quiet about gun ownership and hunting until about his sophomore year of high school. He's a senior now and grew into his own.......he writes papers about hunting in literature class..... Debates topics on the pro 2a side in AP government class.......his teacher in that class now defers questions about mass gun law to him first as the subject matter expert on mass gun law because my boy is the only student he has ever had that actually has an FID and owns his own fire arms (or would admit it anyway). He is actually is fairly respected among other students and teachers. We met with AP gov teacher last week and he told us that he debates respectfully and always used facts rather than emotion........I was quite proud to hear that.....and that academically he's #7 out of 400 plus students. I'm also happy with the teacher because he does allow unpopular opinions to be discussed in class and let's the students debate.

Edit.....
I'm not judging and saying your kid should be talking about hunting. My boy didn't for a long time and eventually he started to grow into his own and just decided to. I guess I'm saying I understand if your kids don't and why.......but that there is hope. Didn't want you to take my comments the wrong way.

Congrats on the success!!!

Last edited:
+1 for the Savage 220 with a Nikon scope and sabot slugs. I use the youth version, as length of pull is shortened with bulky clothing and tree harness. Its an excellent combo and has worked well for me.

Anyone use a bolt-action shotgun anymore??? You never see them. I remember Costa's in Raynham had one or two for years in the used "please just buy me" rack.

Costa's is now the Gun Runner, on route 28 in Middleboro. It's a mile or two past the Middleboro Gun Shop, heading toward Wareham.

I'm considering buying a Mossberg 930 Slugster. I have this shotgun deer season completely off from law school. I'll go stir crazy sitting around the house if I don't do something. Might as well go out and enjoy myself.

930 Slugster | O.F. Mossberg & Sons, Inc.

I have a model 500 trophy sluggster in 12 guage. Love it. I run 3" Lightfield commander slugs through it and get 3 Inch groups at 125 yards.

Savage 220 is really the killer app of slug guns. They just released it with the stock from the new 110 which is massively adjustable for fit.

I have the Savage 220 with Nikon scope. No holdover out to 150yds . It should be illegal its that accurate. I took a doe last year at 140yds. I made the mistake of aiming a bit high because i didn't trust the gun like i should have. Sure enough i hit her a little high but took out both lungs. I use the remy accutips . I never thought i would find a shotgun that could out shoot my H&R Ultra Slug Hunter but i did.

One week to go. Any deer with those slug guns? I got one on a second shot after missing the first deer. Made another shot 4 days later and missed a headshot from 40 yards or so. Unfortunately the adrenalin of the moment has me missing those other shots from standing off hand. Not the guns fault for sure.

Benelli 20g M2 field, rifled slug barrel, leuopold 2-7 . Tack driver. Just ask the deer I shot last week. Lightfield sabot slugs.

Back
Top Bottom