• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

What’s with all the scatter guns with the birds head pistol grip?

Shark_Cage

NES Member
WOW, I haven’t been in the scattergun market for a while but there seems to be quite a few pump and semi’s coming with this grip. I even saw a Marine Magnum offered with it.

I know it’s called a Birdsheah pistol grip but does it qualify as an evil feature in mass?

Exactly. It’s just tip-toeing around the regs. Not a stock, not a pistol grip. It allowed the Mossberg Shockwave to be classified generically as a “firearm” rather than a pistol or shotgun and so not regulated by either ATF definition.

The Mass online portal had no option to register/transfer a “firearm” — it required choosing pistol or shotgun. A few got by with inconsistent registration. As I recall Mass eventually declared the Shockwave a pistol not on the approved roster.

When I first saw that I thought “Oh Maura is going to be all over that”. My second thought was “can I get one before Mass says it’s a handgun”? Lol

It’s just tip-toeing around the regs. Not a stock, not a pistol grip. It allowed the Mossberg Shockwave to be classified generically as a “firearm” rather than a pistol or shotgun and so not regulated by either ATF definition
Originally intended to be less painful to fire than the traditional right-angle pistol grip, the Federal law thing is about overall length, not about whether or not it is a pistol grip.

As I recall Mass eventually declared the Shockwave a pistol not on the approved roster.
If it makes you feel any better, New Hampshire also recognizes these as a handgun under state law :)

I think these need a hand stop in addition to a strap. Way too close for comfort.
Could always add on one of the many front sling plates from GG&G, etc.

I'm more comfortable with Mossberg's hand position than with Remington's TAC-14 as shipped with Magpul forearm, mini hand-stop:
TAC-14-and-Mossberg-shockwave-on-concrete.jpg

Unlike an AR "pistol", a 12GA "firearm" is Fed-legal with a vertical forward grip, might not even look silly on the new mag-fed Shockwave?

Back
Top Bottom