What’s the worst that could happen if I fire up my wood stove that hasn’t been cleaned or inspected?

You up yet? ;)
We made it!

I actually crawled back into bed with Hank because I went down to load the stove back up at 5am and it was totally empty! Not even many coals roasting at the bottom so I had to start it back up again basically from scratch. It’s amazing how efficient these things are at burning ALL of the wood basically.

I guess I need to stuff it chock full before bed and put the setting on low if I want it to stay lit all night? I was taken aback by how much burned while I was sleeping and figured there would at least be enough coals to help me get it going again without too much effort.

That's a cute house and a lovely dog.

If you're concerned about chimney fires keep a large ziploc bag of baking soda (sodium bicarbonate) close to the woodstove. If you have a chimney fire you toss the bag into the stove and close the door. The baking soda decomposes under heat to large volumes of CO2 which will extinguish the chimney fire.
Thank you! I got very lucky with both. That’s only the back of the house too, but I spend most of my time on that back patio making meals on the flat top or smoker and just looking up into the woods.

Awesome info! Assuming I can probably use the ‘spent’ refrigerator baking soda boxes after I’m done with them in the fridge? I change them out about once a month or so, they’re probably still plenty ‘good enough’ unless they undergo that much of a chemical change while removing smells from the fridge?

We made it!

I actually crawled back into bed with Hank because I went down to load the stove back up at 5am and it was totally empty! Not even many coals roasting at the bottom so I had to start it back up again basically from scratch. It’s amazing how efficient these things are at burning ALL of the wood basically.

I guess I need to stuff it chock full before bed and put the setting on low if I want it to stay lit all night? I was taken aback by how much burned while I was sleeping and figured there would at least be enough coals to help me get it going again without too much effort.
Oh well. Magni was looking forward to having a brother, too :(

I guess glad you made it anyway though.

Find the dampers for air intake. Once the fire is going good you reduce air flow to it. Finding the right setting is art, not science, but you will eventually be able sleep through the night or just toss in another split out two when you take a bio break. Always drink a glass of water just before bed so you will wake up in a few hours.

Last edited:
Glad its working well for you.
You can tell that the install was professional, and that Metalbestos pipe is very expensive. The pipe in the basement is cheap and I would likely just replace it.
As others have said, buy the brush and fiberglass poles to clean it yourself. It's really easy.

And I’m always rushing into doing stupid things and there’s no one here to tell me I’m an idiot for doing so. My dogs English is horrible and I can barely understand him half the time.

I actually never even considered if I could burn coal in this stove, but I’ll definitely look that up. There’s a train that runs coal about a mile from my house…every single car is heaping when I see it. I can probably start a mine in my back yard!
I had a coal/wood stove in my last place. Coal can get really fkin hot, like white hot, and melt your stove.🤣

Thank you! I got very lucky with both. That’s only the back of the house too, but I spend most of my time on that back patio making meals on the flat top or smoker and just looking up into the woods.

Awesome info! Assuming I can probably use the ‘spent’ refrigerator baking soda boxes after I’m done with them in the fridge? I change them out about once a month or so, they’re probably still plenty ‘good enough’ unless they undergo that much of a chemical change while removing smells from the fridge?

Yes, the ‘spent’ refrigerator baking soda boxes are totally fine for firefighting purposes. You would need at least a couple of them and more like four for a CO2 "bomb." It's also a good idea to keep a refillable water fire extinguisher on hand too to douse the fire after you bomb it with baking soda.

I hope your insurance is paid up...but then again, you've already documented this in a post so, well, good luck with that.

Glad she's running ok...

If you get on the roof after brushing the pipe, look at creosote which can clog the baffles on that cap.

You'll get a handle on burn times. Keep in mind any 'new' stove replacing ti might burn longer, but will have a cataltyic converter to make it's emissions lower

They can take my 90's version Vermont castings from my cold dead hands

If you're concerned about chimney fires keep a large ziploc bag of baking soda (sodium bicarbonate) close to the woodstove. If you have a chimney fire you toss the bag into the stove and close the door. The baking soda decomposes under heat to large volumes of CO2 which will extinguish the chimney fire.
Have you tried it? I’m a little skeptical. I’ll eat my words and call myself a believer if you’ve put out a chimney fire like this. My guess is it would mostly put out the fire in the stove which in turn would help slow the chimney fire. But I don’t see it putting the chimney fire out. Probably still a good idea to do after you’ve called 911 though. Let me know if you’ve put a chimney fire out like this.

Have you tried it? I’m a little skeptical. I’ll eat my words and call myself a believer if you’ve put out a chimney fire like this. My guess is it would mostly put out the fire in the stove which in turn would help slow the chimney fire. But I don’t see it putting the chimney fire out. Probably still a good idea to do after you’ve called 911 though. Let me know if you’ve put a chimney fire out like this.

The last time I saw a chimney fire was when I was a small child.

This method certainly does work but don't expect to put out your chimney fire with a couple of spoonfuls of baking soda. I used to keep a Costco 13.5 lb bag of baking soda handy just in case.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_SNzaW9vddo

Last edited:
@ 76too,,,👍👍👍
All good in the hood after 3 straight days of running. I’m letting it burn out tonight because it’s supposed to warm up pretty good this weekend. I think running it helped my confidence and familiarity with the unit and got me comfortable loading it and used to a schedule.

I’m going to be replacing the lower pipe this weekend and brushing out the main stainless flue to get ready for next time.

Next couple of dry weekends we have here in Kentucky will be focused on production for next year. I want to enough to heat all winter with wood and I think I can do it easily if my back cooperates…it’s been cranky lately but is feeling a little better the past few days.

Back
Top Bottom