• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

What’s on opinion on the famous Utah license ?

I was thinking of going for an Utah license this week. What do you guys think about it? Is it worth it? Did you guys also get one ?

I got one, years ago. Never actually used/needed it. Regret for me, but maybe it’s worth it if your travels take you to places where it actually applies.

Got mine years ago while in MA, the one thing they dont tell you (or I wasnt listening as my wife would say) After leaving MA we have spent a bunch of time in states where you dont need a license (Arizona, Nevada) well, the Utah license is null and void if you do not have a resident license in the state you reside. So, our current state of residence is Nevada where I do not need a resident license but when I am now traveling the Utah license is not good in the states it says it covers due to that fact. I did get a Florida license to compliment the Utah license so we are pretty well covered.

I am also up for renewal on the Utah license but because I dont have the resident Nevada license they will not renew, however the nice lady on the phone gave me a loophole on extending the renewal. You have one year to renew in Utah after the expiration date, she said if I tried to renew without a current license from my state of residence it will get kicked back and the one year starts from that date, so she said wait until the one year is almost up, then try to renew, after it gets kicked back I will have another year to get it sorted out, hopefully by then we will have Texas residency and a license. The challenges of full time RV!

Hope this helps

Got mine years ago while in MA, the one thing they dont tell you (or I wasnt listening as my wife would say) After leaving MA we have spent a bunch of time in states where you dont need a license (Arizona, Nevada) well, the Utah license is null and void if you do not have a resident license in the state you reside. So, our current state of residence is Nevada where I do not need a resident license but when I am now traveling the Utah license is not good in the states it says it covers due to that fact. I did get a Florida license to compliment the Utah license so we are pretty well covered.

I am also up for renewal on the Utah license but because I dont have the resident Nevada license they will not renew, however the nice lady on the phone gave me a loophole on extending the renewal. You have one year to renew in Utah after the expiration date, she said if I tried to renew without a current license from my state of residence it will get kicked back and the one year starts from that date, so she said wait until the one year is almost up, then try to renew, after it gets kicked back I will have another year to get it sorted out, hopefully by then we will have Texas residency and a license. The challenges of full time RV!

Hope this helps
Incorrect. I got my Utah while I lived in MA specifically because it didn't require that I have a MA LTC, same with the NH non-res, no requirement to have an in state LTC.

Incorrect. I got my Utah while I lived in MA specifically because it didn't require that I have a MA LTC, same with the NH non-res, no requirement to have an in state LTC.
I would double check that, I bet $$$ you not good in MA with just a Utah license if your state of residence is MA........I'll look it up later.

I would double check that, I bet $$$ you not good in MA with just a Utah license if your state of residence is MA........I'll look it up later.
I wasn't good in MA, never said I was. MA doesn't reciprocate with anyone.

I was good in Utah and NH and anywhere that would accept a non-res from them, and there are a number of states that do, even if you have no res-permit.
I got the Utah and NH because I had been denied as unsuitable in MA, and I had to disclose that on both Utah and NH applications. It's expired now but I still have my Utah card, is that proof enough for you? How much $$$ are you sending me [smile]

From the Utah DPS website - cost is $63.25.

What Must Accompany the Application?​

• A Photocopy of your state issued Driver License
  • Photograph. One recent color photograph of passport quality.
  • Non-resident proof of permit. If you reside in a state that recognizes the validity of the Utah CFP or has reciprocity with Utah, you must obtain a CFP or CCW from your home state and submit a copy of it with your application for a Utah permit. For a list of reciprocal states click here. You are considered a resident of whichever state issued your ID. If your state does not recognize the Utah permit this does not apply.
  • Fingerprint Card. One fingerprint card. Must be filled out completely. Writing and prints must be legible. Fingerprint should be taken by a trained fingerprint technician. Fingerprint cards that are not legible will be returned to the applicant and will cause a delay in processing the application.
Click here for a fingerprint card example.Download
*Fingerprint services are available from BCI or may be offered through your local law enforcement agency. There are private businesses that also offer this service. Check in your local phone directory.

• Weapon Familiarity Certification. Applicants must complete a firearms familiarity course certified by BCI. No exceptions. The course must be completed before you apply for a permit. Please have your instructor complete the certification information on the application. View a list of (in-state) (out-of-state) certified instructors.
Too many hoops and too much money. Biggest reason is I'm in my 7th decade and have never been fingerprinted and not starting now. The 30 states I get with my just renewed 5yr/$10 NH P&R license will do for me.

From the Utah DPS website - cost is $63.25.

What Must Accompany the Application?​

• A Photocopy of your state issued Driver License
  • Photograph. One recent color photograph of passport quality.
  • Non-resident proof of permit. If you reside in a state that recognizes the validity of the Utah CFP or has reciprocity with Utah, you must obtain a CFP or CCW from your home state and submit a copy of it with your application for a Utah permit. For a list of reciprocal states click here. You are considered a resident of whichever state issued your ID. If your state does not recognize the Utah permit this does not apply.
  • Fingerprint Card. One fingerprint card. Must be filled out completely. Writing and prints must be legible. Fingerprint should be taken by a trained fingerprint technician. Fingerprint cards that are not legible will be returned to the applicant and will cause a delay in processing the application.
Click here for a fingerprint card example.Download
*Fingerprint services are available from BCI or may be offered through your local law enforcement agency. There are private businesses that also offer this service. Check in your local phone directory.

• Weapon Familiarity Certification. Applicants must complete a firearms familiarity course certified by BCI. No exceptions. The course must be completed before you apply for a permit. Please have your instructor complete the certification information on the application. View a list of (in-state) (out-of-state) certified instructors.
Too many hoops and too much money. Biggest reason is I'm in my 7th decade and have never been fingerprinted and not starting now. The 30 states I get with my just renewed 5yr/$10 NH P&R license will do for me.
thanks

I wasn't good in MA, never said I was. MA doesn't reciprocate with anyone.

I was good in Utah and NH and anywhere that would accept a non-res from them, and there are a number of states that do, even if you have no res-permit.
I got the Utah and NH because I had been denied as unsuitable in MA, and I had to disclose that on both Utah and NH applications. It's expired now but I still have my Utah card, is that proof enough for you? How much $$$ are you sending me [smile]
Wait, you said you got your Utah when you lived in MA because you didnt need a MA LTC...............? That is incorrect, Utah will not issue you a Utah license if you live in MA and do not have a MA LTC.....That is a fact. Maybe the laws were different when you got it but you cant renew under those condions, I've spent many hours in Utah discussing this with the Utah office.

This is from the Utah web site

How do I Apply for a Concealed Firearm Permit? | DPS – Criminal Identification (BCI)

1672353627205.png

Wait, you said you got your Utah when you lived in MA because you didnt need a MA LTC...............? That is incorrect, Utah will not issue you a Utah license if you live in MA and do not have a MA LTC.....That is a fact. Maybe the laws were different when you got it but you cant renew under those condions, I've spent many hours in Utah discussing this with the Utah office.

This is from the Utah web site

How do I Apply for a Concealed Firearm Permit? | DPS – Criminal Identification (BCI)

View attachment 703473
You see that line If your state does not recognize the Utah permit this does not apply. Well MA does not recognize Utah, and if you follow the link on the Utah page for what states do, it shows that MA does not. You've literally provided the proof to what I'm saying.

And you say they won't issue, but I'm looking at it right now.

I have no idea what you've been discussing or with who, but your own cited information backs me up and shoots down your position. And that's without my first hand experience.

You see that line If your state does not recognize the Utah permit this does not apply. Well MA does not recognize Utah, and if you follow the link on the Utah page for what states do, it shows that MA does not. You've literally provided the proof to what I'm saying.

And you say they won't issue, but I'm looking at it right now.

I have no idea what you've been discussing or with who, but your own cited information backs me up and shoots down your position. And that's without my first hand experience.
ok, the difference is that NV does recognize Utah, thats why I cant renew. So, yes, you are correct about your situation, I guess I assumed you got it to be legal in MA. Checks in the mail!:p

Depends. Do you travel or plan to travel to states, with firearms, that your home state permit doesn’t cover? Do you need the firearms with you? Will you be going enough to make it worthwhile?

ok, the difference is that NV does recognize Utah, thats why I cant renew. So, yes, you are correct about your situation, I guess I assumed you got it to be legal in MA. Checks in the mail!:p

No.

Stop and read again what he's saying.

He was a resident in MA, who was at that time unable to get a MA LTC.

He applied for a non-resident UT permit, which was granted. There was no requirement for him to have a MA permit to get the UT permit, because they're not reciprocal states.

The UT permit did him no good in MA, because MA reciprocates with no other states.

The UT permit however, did give him carry rights in other states that accept/accepted UT non-resident permit.

As for the original OP; I have a non-resident UT permit.

I have GA resident permit, (which is good in something like 33 states). I have CT non-resident permit, which is critical to my life style because I summer in CT. I have Florida, Utah and New Hampshire non-resident permits because reciprocity between states is subject to change depending upon the attorney generals in office of the states, (reciprocity is based upon agreements between states), and I want the overlap/redundancy.

FOPA is federal law that states that you can transport unloaded, locked up firearms between states if you're legal in origin and destination. I can travel through most of the United States with the permits that I have transporting, (NOT carrying), firearms.

I can legally carry in about 40 states, can't in MD, DC, NJ, NY, MA and RI on the East Coast, MN and IL in the midwest, and OR and CA on the west coast.

My biggest problem is that I'm landlocked in CT as far as carrying goes. In fact it's worse than that. I shoot competitions in RI and MA, and I can't legally have my firearms in those states. I can legally transport through, but I can't stop and shoot there.

I've thought about trying to get MA and/or RI permit, but can't seem to summon up the energy.

1672420524010.png

As for the original OP; I have a non-resident UT permit.

I have GA resident permit, (which is good in something like 33 states). I have CT non-resident permit, which is critical to my life style because I summer in CT. I have Florida, Utah and New Hampshire non-resident permits because reciprocity between states is subject to change depending upon the attorney generals in office of the states, (reciprocity is based upon agreements between states), and I want the overlap/redundancy.

FOPA is federal law that states that you can transport unloaded, locked up firearms between states if you're legal in origin and destination. I can travel through most of the United States with the permits that I have transporting, (NOT carrying), firearms.

I can legally carry in about 40 states, can't in MD, DC, NJ, NY, MA and RI on the East Coast, MN and IL in the midwest, and OR and CA on the west coast.

My biggest problem is that I'm landlocked in CT as far as carrying goes. In fact it's worse than that. I shoot competitions in RI and MA, and I can't legally have my firearms in those states. I can legally transport through, but I can't stop and shoot there.

I've thought about trying to get MA and/or RI permit, but can't seem to summon up the energy.

View attachment 703766
I thought FOPA also allowed travel to a state for the purpose of competing in a competition. So you should be ok to compete in MA but you can't carry.

I thought FOPA also allowed travel to a state for the purpose of competing in a competition. So you should be ok to compete in MA but you can't carry.

Nope.

Notwithstanding any other provision of any law or any rule or regulation of a State or any political subdivision thereof, any person who is not otherwise prohibited by this chapter from transporting, shipping, or receiving a firearm shall be entitled to transport a firearm for any lawful purpose from any place where he may lawfully possess and carry such firearm to any other place where he may lawfully possess and carry such firearm if, during such transportation the firearm is unloaded, and neither the firearm nor any ammunition being transported is readily accessible or is directly accessible from the passenger compartment of such transporting vehicle: Provided, That in the case of a vehicle without a compartment separate from the driver’s compartment the firearm or ammunition shall be contained in a locked container other than the glove compartment or console

FOPA allows me to transport from origin to destination passing through other states where I'm not permitted if I'm legal in the origin and destination. It doesn't allow me to stop and shoot a match in a state where I'm not permitted to own a firearm.

It's not the "carrying" of the firearm in MA that's the problem - it's the simple POSESSION. I don't have a MA permit. I can't even legally have ammunition components in MA.

Another important note on FOPA is that it doesn't give you the right to transport items through a state that are prohibited in that state. For example, I can't transport my "high-capacity" magazines through New Jersey using FOPA as protection. It's illegal to posess them there.

Going back to MA and competition - there is a carveout in MA law that's been discussed - but I'm not sure of it. If I understand it correctly, MA will allow you to bring guns to a competition if you have a permit issued by a state that issues it under the same "rigorous" methodology that MA does. I've heard that debated a couple times over the years, and never gotten the sense that anyone I've spoken to really knows what they're talking about.

When I shoot in MA or RI, it's simple. Guns are unloaded, locked up and I obey the traffic laws. If I'm staying overnight, the vehicle gets parked under a light where I can see it, and the firearm(s) is/are transferred discreetly into my room in locked case(s).

I am also up for renewal on the Utah license but because I dont have the resident Nevada license they will not renew,
Does NV refuse to issue a resident license? Like NH, you don't need one but if you request one, they will issue it. If NV is like that, solve your problem by applying for one.
Going back to MA and competition - there is a carveout in MA law that's been discussed - but I'm not sure of it. If I understand it correctly, MA will allow you to bring guns to a competition if you have a permit issued by a state that issues it under the same "rigorous" methodology that MA does. I've heard that debated a couple times over the years, and never gotten the sense that anyone I've spoken to really knows what they're talking about.

When I shoot in MA or RI, it's simple. Guns are unloaded, locked up and I obey the traffic laws. If I'm staying overnight, the vehicle gets parked under a light where I can see it, and the firearm(s) is/are transferred discreetly into my room in locked case(s).
MA has NO carve-out for competition. The "exemption" was specifically written to imply that there is one but no other state in the US has the same restrictions on issuance as MA, so it is an "empty exemption". LEOs are being taught that there is no exemption, so as long as nobody ends up dealing with MA LE (traffic accident, speeding, etc.) people get away with it. But it is a felony if caught/convicted and makes one a federally prohibited person for life. As for "nobody knows what they are talking about", it was Atty. Jason Guida who educated me on the matter. And the last time I took Chief Glidden's seminar (~200 chiefs/LOs in attendance) he was educating them on the matter.

Last edited:
Does NV refuse to issue a resident license? Like NH, you don't need one but if you request one, they will issue it. If NV is like that, solve your problem by applying for one.

MA has NO carve-out for competition. The "exemption" was specifically written to imply that there is one but no other state in the US has the same restrictions on issuance as MA, so it is an "empty exemption". LEOs are being taught that there is no exemption, so as long as nobody ends up dealing with MA LE (traffic accident, speeding, etc.) people get away with it. But it is a felony if caught/convicted and makes on a federally prohibited person for life. As for "nobody knows what they are talking about", it was Atty. Jason Guida who educated me on the matter. And the last time I took Chief Glidden's seminar (~200 chiefs/LOs in attendance) he was educating them on the matter.
Thank you.

Section 131F. A temporary license to carry firearms or feeding devices or ammunition therefor, within the commonwealth, may be issued by the colonel of state police, or persons authorized by him, to a nonresident or any person not falling within the jurisdiction of a local licensing authority or to an alien that resides outside the commonwealth for purposes of firearms competition and subject to such terms and conditions as said colonel may deem proper; provided, however, that no license shall be issued to a person who:

A 'temporary license', that's a new one to me.

FL non res has almost the same coverage as UT. Like one or two state difference. But UT doesn’t get you FL and vice versa. So if you don’t plan to go to one of the non covered states, but you plan on going to FL, get that one. Vice versa for UT. Your MA BFS certificate qualifies you for FL with no additional courses. UT requires additional course.

MA has NO carve-out for competition. The "exemption" was specifically written to imply that there is one but no other state in the US has the same restrictions on issuance as MA, so it is an "empty exemption". LEOs are being taught that there is no exemption, so as long as nobody ends up dealing with MA LE (traffic accident, speeding, etc.) people get away with it. But it is a felony if caught/convicted and makes one a federally prohibited person for life. As for "nobody knows what they are talking about", it was Atty. Jason Guida who educated me on the matter. And the last time I took Chief Glidden's seminar (~200 chiefs/LOs in attendance) he was educating them on the matter.
I could have gotten a NV license, I didn't because it wasn't needed and we were only living there during "covid". I did find a sweet MCX pistol AR and bought it, found out my Utah was not good without the NV license. Not a huge deal but NV waives the background check fee if you have NV license. Now I'm in TX, need to try and get residency here to get CCW in TX then renew my Utah.

FL non res has almost the same coverage as UT. Like one or two state difference. But UT doesn’t get you FL and vice versa. So if you don’t plan to go to one of the non covered states, but you plan on going to FL, get that one. Vice versa for UT. Your MA BFS certificate qualifies you for FL with no additional courses. UT requires additional course.
Agreed with the caveat of needing a cert with live fire for FL.

The OP appears to be a MA resident so it should be true that unless you need to visit WA state the FL permit is a better choice now that Utah is constitutional carry.

I have had a UT and FL permit because I used to visited both states, but now you do not need a permit in UT and still need one in FL. You will loses WA resoprsity but gain NM with the FL permit. And key to this argument is a UT NR is no good in FL.

Also for initial application in FL you do not need a specialized training course like for UT.
For FL basic NRA, MFS what have you will do as long as it includes live fire, if you already have that you are ahead of the game.

If OP is a truck driver next time you're passing Centre Co. PA stop and get a permit, takes all of 20 minutes and PA is not covered by these multistate permits.

🐯

Agreed with the caveat of needing a cert with live fire for FL.
I have heard the live fire req, but have not seen it listed anywhere. Also, I have inquired as an NRA/MA BFS instructor, and been told I can pretty much produce any cert and they will take it.

From FL CCW Site:

Approved Training Courses​

To qualify for a concealed weapon license, Florida law requires you to submit proof of competency with a firearm. A copy of a Certificate of Completion or similar document from any of the following courses or classes is acceptable:

• Any hunter education or hunter safety course approved by the Florida Fish and Wildlife Conservation Commission or a similar agency in another state;
  • Any National Rifle Association firearms safety or training course;
  • Any firearms safety or training course or class available to the general public offered by a law enforcement agency, junior college, college, or private or public institution or organization or firearms training school, using instructors certified by the National Rifle Association, the Criminal Justice Standards and Training Commission, or the Florida Department of Agriculture and Consumer Services;
  • Any law enforcement firearms safety or training course or class offered for security guards, investigators, special deputies, or any division or subdivision of law enforcement or security enforcement;
  • Any firearms training or safety course or class conducted by a state-certified instructor or by an instructor certified by the National Rifle Association.

Training Certificate Requirements​

The copy of the training certificate/document must be clear and legible and must include:

• Your name,
  • Your instructor's name,
  • Your instructor's qualifications/credentials (National Rifle Association instructor, law enforcement firearms instructor, Class "K" Firearm Instructor licensed by the state of Florida, etc.) and
  • Your instructor's license/certification number.

The actual law gives a clue although it is still very confusing, particularly the lack of clear context between the listed courses and the reference to the live fire certification highlighted below.

A photocopy of a certificate of completion of any of the courses or classes; an affidavit from the instructor, school, club, organization, or group that conducted or taught such course or class attesting to the completion of the course or class by the applicant; or a copy of any document that shows completion of the course or class or evidences participation in firearms competition shall constitute evidence of qualification under this paragraph. A person who conducts a course pursuant to subparagraph 2., subparagraph 3., or subparagraph 7., or who, as an instructor, attests to the completion of such courses, must maintain records certifying that he or she observed the student safely handle and discharge the firearm in his or her physical presence and that the discharge of the firearm included live fire using a firearm and ammunition as defined in s. 790.001;

I have since renewed but back when I initially applied it was in person at a tax collector’s office and they hardly gave the cert I handed them a second glance, it was however specifically stamped “live fire”.

🐯

The actual law gives a clue although it is still very confusing, particularly the lack of clear context between the listed courses and the reference to the live fire certification highlighted below.

I have since renewed but back when I initially applied it was in person at a tax collector’s office and they hardly gave the cert I handed them a second glance, it was however specifically stamped “live fire”.

🐯
Thats what I was looking for. Funny, a phone conversation with them a cpl years ago gave me the impression that it was not required. But that is nosurprise that they were incorrect.

Back
Top Bottom