• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Weymouth Sports CLub threatening to have LTCs revoked for people shooting right now

As far as the specific circumstance you mention, if the club has been closed and the members are still using the club then they deserve to be identified and spoken with. You don't have to do it publicly but it needs to be done. They are being douche bags. If they disagree with the decision then they should work the members, board and officers for a change or leave the club.
Nothing good comes from cameras.
No one “deserves” to be identfied in this anti gun shithole. It causes little power tripping fxcks to overrreach.
And this is a perfect example

Clubs need to push back and not comply. Simple as fxcking that. If your local authorities dont have your back, well then.... Duly fxcking noted and there is no reason to help identify anyone.

Last edited:
Wait. You have a plug-in toilet???
Actually, we do. The transformer for the auto-flusher plugs to an outlet in the basement just below the toilets.
Nothing good comes from cameras.
Totally depends on how they are used. If they are used to play a game of "gotcha" I agree. Cameras can tell the club leadership exactly when and how long a contractor is at the club - (for example a cleaning company) arrives to perform a service. They can be used to find out what happened to left behind equipment and re-unite it with the owner (BTDT).

Do you think someone who accidentally damages club property and fails to report it should be identified and contacted or shielded under a cloak of anonymity? If a gun is stolen should the club use cameras to figure out who took it (happened at Mass Rifle, thief identified via recording).?

What do you think of an entry system that logs every user who opens a door or range road gate?
It causes little power tripping fxcks to overrreach.
Agreed, but the lack of cameras will not keep these people in check. Unlike range walk-arounds, the club leadership can control who gets camera access, and even differentiate those who get live access (to check for snowplowing, lawn mowing, etc.) and who can play recordings. Eternal vigilance is needed to guard against people like that, cameras or not. The only "I'm important and you had better think very carefully what the next words out of your mouth are" I ever saw at a club did not involve cameras.

Clubs need to push back and not comply.
Or push back and comply with the regulations as written.

Last edited:
No one “deserves” to be identfied in this anti gun shithole. It causes little power tripping fxcks to overrreach.

For one minute forget about the circumstances of the club being closed. You have members who are knowingly or unknowingly using the club when it is closed potentially causing problems. So you believe they should not be identified and spoken with? I guess I would disagree with you and leave it at that.

For one minute forget about the circumstances of the club being closed. You have members who are knowingly or unknowingly using the club when it is closed potentially causing problems. So you believe they should not be identified and spoken with? I guess I would disagree with you and leave it at that.

People pretty much follow our range rules and times. I guess if we close its because of an event and people would be there and no cameras needed.

Other than that, having cameras really was never NEEDED. Your range may differ.

Last edited:
Actually, we do. The transformer for the auto-flusher plugs to an outlet in the basement just below the toilets.

Totally depends on how they are used. If they are used to play a game of "gotcha" I agree. Cameras can tell the club leadership exactly when and how long a contractor is at the club - for example a cleaning company) arrives to perform a service. They can be used to find out what happened to left behind equipment and re-unite it with the owner (BTDT).

Do you think someone who accdentally damages club property and fails to report it should be identified and contacted or shielded under a cloak of anonymity? If a gun is stolen should the club use cameras to figure out who took it (happened at Mass Rifle, thief identified via recording).?

What do you think of an entry system that logs every user who opens a door or range road gate?

Agreed, but the lack of cameras will not keep these people in check. Unlike range walk-arounds, the club leadership can control who gets camera access, and even differentiate those who get live access (to check for snowplowing, lawn mowing, etc.) and who can play recordings. Eternal vigilance is needed to guard against people like that, cameras or not. The only "I'm important and you had better think very carefully what the next words out of your mouth are" I ever saw at a club did not involve cameras.

Or push back and comply with the regulations as written.

I would be fine with gated key ID. But that doesnt stop anyone from walking around a gate and doing damage or theft. Cameras might help, but if the person is a non member???

We just dont have nearly enough issues to justify it. Not that it can’t happen but it hasnt yet.

It's pretty simple Pistol calibers, pistol range. Rifle caliber, Rifle range. You can shoot .22's on either range and you can shoot pistols and shotguns on the rifle range.

You'd think it's pretty simple except for the Fudds @ Independent in Foxboro who won't let you shoot pistol caliber on the pistol range - from a PCC. It gives the "wrong idea" to shoot long guns on the pistol range except that you're allowed to shoot any .22 long gun AND black powder long guns of any caliber on the pistol range. But a PCC? nope. :rolleyes:

You'd think it's pretty simple except for the Fudds @ Independent in Foxboro who won't let you shoot pistol caliber on the pistol range - from a PCC. It gives the "wrong idea" to shoot long guns on the pistol range except that you're allowed to shoot any .22 long gun AND black powder long guns of any caliber on the pistol range. But a PCC? nope. :rolleyes:

PCC's can be shot on pistol ranges at our club.

Every club in the state has had to deal with this issue and I say with confidence very few boards made a unanimous decision.

It's worth noting, that, without going into graphic details, at least a few of the clubs on the list in GD were not closed by a "board decision" but rather executive fiat of the club president shitting
their pants, or similar. One of my family members is on a club BOD and he was pissed that their president "just closed the club" without asking anyone on the BOD about it.

-Mike

Massachusetts gun clubs have lots of anti gun people. They are usually the ones that don't shoot much and are more likely to be on a public payroll/pension, or highly educated.

Lol not sure if serious, there are a lot of fudds in MA that run some of these places that are best described as toothless wonders and may not even have a GED never mind being "highly
educated". That has very little to do with whether someone is an anti/fudd or not.

-Mike

My NH club has a similar rule for one of the ranges. It's pistol caliber only but during orientation we were told explicitly no 22lr ARs as other people "might see them and think they can shoot 5.56 on this range." Seems like posting some signs would do the trick, or better educating members...

I know Dick Striano. Over the years he has trained thousands, yes thousands of people for ltc's , RSO, etc etc. He has worked tirelessly over the years to help our 2A struggle. He may have overreacted here, and I am sure his club will discuss it with him, but he is a good man that has sacrificed most of his free time (20 yrs + that I know of) for his club and the second amendment. I was appalled to see the name calling and even publishing his phone number.
Right now I am very ashamed of this forum.

I know Dick Striano. Over the years he has trained thousands, yes thousands of people for ltc's , RSO, etc etc. He has worked tirelessly over the years to help our 2A struggle. He may have overreacted here, and I am sure his club will discuss it with him, but he is a good man that has sacrificed most of his free time (20 yrs + that I know of) for his club and the second amendment. I was appalled to see the name calling and even publishing his phone number.
I don't know him, but as an outsider I would also say it's appalling to see someone who represents themselves as a 2A advocate threaten someone's 2A rights in this manner. I would be very ashamed if I were him right now. Club expulsion, sure, but when you dangle the carrot of ruining a guy's life, you've crossed a boundary that goes beyond a mere "overreaction." It is completely inappropriate.

Cooler heads will prevail and I am sure they will revise that position. Who among us has never said or posted something in anger that they later regret - like I hope many on this thread realize they have done. I know how difficult it is to run a club, and the balancing act you have to do here in MA.
Dick Striano has done maybe more than just about anybody else I know for firearms education, promoting the sport and even going to bat for us on the state level. It really pains me to see the vitriol over one excessive post to his club.

My NH club has a similar rule for one of the ranges. It's pistol caliber only but during orientation we were told explicitly no 22lr ARs as other people "might see them and think they can shoot 5.56 on this range." Seems like posting some signs would do the trick, or better educating members...
Pelham !! [rofl]

I know Dick Striano too, and he is complete fudd. He cuts corners, his training is not within the curriculum, and he treats the club like its his personal range and everyone else is just his guest. I am ashamed that the club lets him do what he does, thats why I left. I wasn’t surprised when I learned Dicks fair haired boy was arrested for stealing guns from the club and selling them to felons to support a drug habit. That place is and will continue to be a joke as long as Dick is in any position of authority.

Clubs need to push back and not comply. Simple as fxcking that. If your local authorities dont have your back, well then.... Duly fxcking noted and there is no reason to help identify anyone.

The issue is: Liability for club officers.

Back a half'a'billion years ago when that kid got killed with the full-auto, the first thing that was done by the family was to sue the board members and officers. Think on that.

Some dufus comes to the club and shoots. He licks all the door handles and smells everyone's breath. Then gets tehCorona. Then he sues the club. Because he was sequestered otherwise.

It may be extreme, but the potential personal damage from this can be crushing. BOD's and officers need to take all of that into account before making a decision.

I'm not saying DON'T open up. I'm saying KNOW what your liability is before you do.

I know Dick Striano too, and he is complete fudd. He cuts corners, his training is not within the curriculum, and he treats the club like its his personal range and everyone else is just his guest. I am ashamed that the club lets him do what he does, thats why I left. I wasn’t surprised when I learned Dicks fair haired boy was arrested for stealing guns from the club and selling them to felons to support a drug habit. That place is and will continue to be a joke as long as Dick is in any position of authority.

All I can speak for is my experience with him, and he was always a good man doing good things.

"... may have overreacted here,". Ya think???

He made a very stupid comment. If he knows so much about training people to obtain LTC's and other related topics then he clearly knows full well on how difficult it is. His threat was just that, A THREAT and that never goes over well.
I'm sorry you feel ashamed but I don't regret texting him a rather polite message. It was absolutely the same thing I would have said straight to his face. In fact I probably would not have been so nice in person.

I don't know him, but as an outsider I would also say it's appalling to see someone who represents themselves as a 2A advocate threaten someone's 2A rights in this manner. I would be very ashamed if I were him right now. Club expulsion, sure, but when you dangle the carrot of ruining a guy's life, you've crossed a boundary that goes beyond a mere "overreaction." It is completely inappropriate.
I don't know the guy but I'm with daekken on this.

Threatening the LTC revocation is a way to punish a person so that they lose THOUSANDS (or Tens) of Dollars worth of guns/ammo/mags/etc. and essentially become a MA PP (not statutorily but chiefs pay attention to what other chiefs do). Those threats are above the pale and should never be made unless something requires a police action (e.g. drawing a gun on another member, intentionally shooting up the club property, etc.). BOD disciplinary action may be appropriate, but that is as far as it should go in a case like this. Not everyone reads Email, some change Email addresses without advising people that they did it, etc. Signs should always be posted and access turned off in cases like this. Those "disobeying" may merely be unaware that the club is shut down.

ETA: Worth noting is that Striano posted his personal phone number in his message, so he put it out there for feedback himself!

Last edited:

Sorry, actions have consequences.

Threatening to destroy peoples lives and turn them into criminals is f***ing pathetic.

GTFOOHWTBS

Here's a related story of liability for someone doing what Stiano is threatening.

When I joined Ames, the president bragged to me that a member violated some rule and was thrown out of the club. The president told me that he notified the issuing chief and suggested that the person's LTC be pulled. Said chief did pull the guy's LTC. Said person then sued the club, the club president and the police chief . . . and won a large judgment from each. The club president told me that he paid out a 5-figure judgment to the guy. No idea what the club or town had to pay. [I also have no idea why the club president made a point to tell me that story . . . and I know nothing further about what happened or who it was.]

Here's a related story of liability for someone doing what Stiano is threatening.

When I joined Ames, the president bragged to me that a member violated some rule and was thrown out of the club. The president told me that he notified the issuing chief and suggested that the person's LTC be pulled. Said chief did pull the guy's LTC. Said person then sued the club, the club president and the police chief . . . and won a large judgment from each. The club president told me that he paid out a 5-figure judgment to the guy. No idea what the club or town had to pay. [I also have no idea why the club president made a point to tell me that story . . . and I know nothing further about what happened or who it was.]

This is exactly the problem from a club stewardship point of view, regardless of the morality of ratting out others. Making someone a de facto prohibited person in Mass is just asking for a whoop-ass of litigation. Now imagine that five figure judgment times sixteen. That would kill a rich club, never mind a small club as this one appears to be.

If the guy's son has issues with drugs and stealing guns to sell them to feed his addiction, there's no way this guy should be president of a gun club. Or even a member.

Last edited by a moderator:

Actions have consequences. If he is the avid supporter of the 2A that you purport him to be then he knew exactly what he was doing when he threatened reporting people to the COP to yank their LTC.

Instead of you coming in here and apologizing for him he should issue his own statement and apology. He didn’t maybe “overreact” he threatened to have people’s constitutionally protected rights taken away from them at gunpoint.

This is exactly the problem from a club stewardship point of view, regardless of the morality of ratting out others. Making someone a de facto prohibited person in Mass is just asking for a whoop-ass of litigation. Now imagine that five figure judgment times sixteen. That would kill a rich club, never mind a small club as this one appears to be.

If the guy's son has issues with drugs and stealing guns to sell them to feed his addiction, there's no way this guy should be president of a gun club. Or even a member.

Maybe we should report his ass to the local COP. Sounds like he isn't a "suitable" person to own a firearm.

Back
Top Bottom