• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Weymouth PD REQUIRES live fire for LTC.

Gotcha.

I get, "We should [insert project here]," at the Club, often.

"Great. You're in charge. Keep your receipts!" Mostly, it does not happen. That said, we have a good bunch of Members that are part of the 5% of the membership that makes the Club work. Officers, Committee Members, BoD, and people with Time and Skills that step up.

That was pretty much my response when I was a club VP.
Back when we were in the Jaycees, we had the same thing . . . the saying was "he who proposes, disposes". But it actually worked, most of us who did suggest something took the bull by the horns and made it happen.

Personally I can't understand why an instructor wouldn't want to do a live fire portion in their class, why would anyone intentionally sign off on someone so ill prepared?
1. You are not signing off that they are qualified to carry, just that they have taken the class.

2. Some students don't need basic instruction but need certification. Consider a lifelong shooter from another state who moves here and already knows the safety procedures, and all they really need to plug the knowledge gap is info on MGL as it applies to guns.

I have seen that to many times they tell you that they shot all the time in there state,or country and they end up not even knowing how to load the gun.
I will not give a class without live fire in it.

I have seen that to many times they tell you that they shot all the time in there state,or country and they end up not even knowing how to load the gun.
I will not give a class without live fire in it.

Your prerogative.

Question, though: You have a student that, "shot all the time," but can't load/clear a 1911, or S&W .38. Do you refuse to certify them; do you teach them how to operate those two platforms, and then certify them though they may be flummoxed by a 10/22; or do you pull out your whole inventory, and make sure that they can take the bolt from a Krag, get the slide to lock back on a PPK, and field strip a Modern Sporting Rifle?

It's a basic class. I just want to know where you draw the line.

In my class I always had different types of revolvers,and semi-auto pistol,and showed the students how they functioned.

Most MA LTC’s don’t actually let you carry.
The last I heard (i.e., last night),
93% of MA LTC's actually let you carry.
(Maybe not; maybe it's 93% of all licensees).

In Chelmsford they have the "right" to ask you to demonstrate proficiency with a firearm during live fire.
Yes, but will applicants do so if they are asked?

I have never heard of them every actually asking for it. Town is very green.
As a reference, I had to write a freaking essay for my buddy to get his
unrestricted MA LTC-A in Chelmsford.

No one had to write an essay for me to get my unrestricted MA LTC-A
in a nearby town.

You have a student that, "shot all the time," but can't load/clear a 1911, or S&W .38. Do you refuse to certify them; do you teach them how to operate those two platforms, and then certify them though they may be flummoxed by a 10/22; ...
Technical question:
944561.jpg

in a nearby town.

I mean if you want your license you will, or pay for a lawyer to potentially get no where but in a financial hole. Like I said its o the books, I have never heard of it being applied. The only other thing the town wants is 2 reference letters, which is common in some towns. They do not need to be essays. I have written several in town its never anything more than a few sentences. This is how I know this person, This is how long I have known this person. List some notable character traits of said person. Recommend said person. That is all I have ever written, I have written at least 4 letters in chelmsford alone, never an essay.

in a nearby town.

Surprised they didn’t grade it on grammar

Surprised they didn’t grade it on grammar
My buddy was gobsmacked when he read it.
I think he didn't realize he was so nice,
accomplished, and Massprudent.

ETA: I love reading literature (but not writing literary criticism).
I hated all writing until computers with keyboards and
text editors liberated me.

But we've established elsewhere that (natural language) grammar
went in one of my ears, and out the other...

Last edited:
For anybody picking up a RENEWAL LTC in Weymouth, the LO does not want to release your new license to you BEFORE the date of expiration for your old license without confiscating your old license. DO NOT relinquish your old unexpired license. You would probably be okay, but your new license does not activate before your old one expires.

Note, this is not in writing, nor is it for any good reason except it is his policy (verbal). Nor does this technically follow the letter of the law.

2 months ago, he did give me my renewal early, after I explained EOPS cancels your old one on your Bday and if you have a new one already it automatically would be activated and that I was aware of how to ensure it was active in their system.

2 months later he tried the same thing to my wife, (I was there) and I attempted to educate him on this again, but he put up a light stink so I backed down (she has never bought a firearm but does shoot, I'm more concerned about her having to use a firearm in a SD scenario).

He wanted to take her old (unexpired) license and hand her the new one (not activated). We told him that we would be back to pick up the new one after the old one expires. Which he was okay with.

If this is town policy, it should be in writing. But they won't do that after the last time they got sued for wonky policies. Smart on their part, but I also don't think this is done maliciously. I can understand his reasoning. He likely is concerned that someone will shred their old license prematurely and then attempt to purchase on their new one, not knowing it is not activated yet. Or that they will lose the new one and require a replacement while waiting for it to become active.

Really what should happen is that he explains to the person receiving the renewal license, if it is early, that the old license is active until the expiration date and to continue using it until that time. And to not lose the new one. But this is a nanny state.

Imagine: COVID 19, A disease...so deadly, You Have To Be Tested For It!!!!! [rolleyes] [rolleyes][rolleyes]
Imagine HIV - a disease so deadly you have to be tested for it.

Or that pesky incident with Typhoid Mary who did not get tested (probably not an option in those days)

To get your drivers license you have to drive a real car I see why you have to shoot a real gun to get your LTC.

- - - Updated - - -

I'm from Weymouth I had no problem getting my LTC with live fire. (Have to submit a target with date and initials of instructor)
Hello, I’m from Weymouth how did you for live fire class. When I took the training I didn’t have a live fire class. Is it ok if I do it with another instructor? Where did you go for the live fire?

Hello, I’m from Weymouth how did you for live fire class. When I took the training I didn’t have a live fire class. Is it ok if I do it with another instructor? Where did you go for the live fire?
I'm not from weymouth and didn't need proof of my life fire ..ability? but I took my course online during peak covid nonsense, once ranges opened up we went in for a live fire, they just stamped our course cert and i threw my embarrassing target in the garbage

BGRA in Dorchester will do a live fire certification for LTC candidates. You must make an appointment and bring in your BFS certificate if you do not currently have a LTC. Make sure you know what your PD requires for live fire.

Back
Top Bottom