• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Westport-Officer accidently shoots himself at Westport gun range

So the piss poorly trained idiot had his booger hook on the bang switch, either drawing or going back to the holster. "Poorly trained" as most likely that department Armorer/ Instructor didn't spend the time or pay attention to train these individuals in creating, instinctive muscle memory, so that it becomes such that a person will place their trigger finger along the frame or slide when coming out of and returning to the holster.

An officer reportedly accidently shot himself today at a gun range in Westport on Adirondack Lane that is used by local police departments.

According to an officer who was on scene, an off-duty officer shot himself in the thigh with a 40 caliber bullet accidentally as he was putting in or taking his gun out of the holster.

The incident occurred just after noon.
When is he going to blame the Glock or Sig?

Adirondack Lane is the Fall River police departments range.

I had a key to that range for like 30 yrs. If you really want to be appalled show up the day after they shoot their qualifications and look at the targets. An acquaintance of mine (a friend's cousin's husband), former FRPD, showed up one day when I was there. He set up and started shooting, duty belt and the whole 9. I looked over and realized he was shooting with the target 3 feet away. I mean literally 3 feet away.

I asked why he was shooting so close and his answer was, "If you can't hit where you're aiming from this distance then why shoot further out?". I lost it [laugh]. Once I stopped laughing I suggested he might want to consider a different line of work. Now I admit he probably felt a little "on the spot" with me there watching. Maybe already thinking about getting his balls busted at the next card game at my friend's house but that isn't shit compared to the kind of pressure he should be able to shoot under.

Either way, he proceeded to consistently miss low right from 3 feet away. Now I'm not snarking about him not splitting the X with every round. I'm talking about completely missing the X ring on a standard silouette by about 3 inches every time. If he just stuck his arms out a little further he could have just placed the muzzle on the target. [rofl2]

For any FRPD out here who may be wondering who I'm talking about... All I'll say is, he wrecked 3 maybe 4 cruisers in the span of 1 yr. back in the early 2000s [rofl2]

Sounds negligent to me, in so much as he shot himself while putting it in or out of its holster. Probably had his finger on the trigger.
I don't disagree. It's just that you stated an absolute ("NO SUCH THING as accidental shooting") and then said "Of course here (mechanical malfunction) is an example of this thing I said didn't exist."

Struck me as funny.

"training accident" [rofl]

I have seen this happen - LE holstering weapon, shoots self in leg, gets pissed several weeks later when he notices.

Back
Top Bottom