Weston Passed No Carry in Town Conservation Land Article Last Night

Mike S

NES Member
Everyone, with all of the town meeting level proposals getting filed please be proactive, flex some google fu and check your city/town annual meeting notice/warrant/articles, or at the least call your town clerk and see what you can find out. You can usually find the info you need on the town website.

Weston was able to vote this through without any serious opposition b/c nobody on our side knew about it.

See article 20: http://www.weston.govoffice.com/ver...FE907B479E}/uploads/Warrant_4.13.15_Final.pdf

they should make sure they post that in all the jails in town, you know just so all the criminals don't run afoul of the law.

How does MA preemption work?

The law contains this: Notwithstanding
any provision of this section to the contrary, however, the Conservation Commission shall continue to have
and exercise all authority granted to said Conservation Commission in accordance with the provisions of
G.L. c.40, §8C

I'm wondering how possessing a LTC may affect this.

Don

I cautioned those in attendance at BR&P's meeting last night about staying aware (and notifying GOAL) of what's on the agenda at their town meetings.

I can't tell how this changes the regulations already on the books. Despite being terribly worded (does this regulation apply only to bowhunters?), it already prohibits firearms.

No hunting, trapping, use of bow and arrow, or carrying of firearms or paintball guns onConservation Lands except for bowhunters who are carrying a valid Town of Weston accesspermit, and who are in compliance with other applicable laws.

Adopted: March 18, 2014

http://www.weston.govoffice.com/ver...B479E}/uploads/Weston_land_use_regs_FINAL.pdf

Just wondering if this notice was simply missed or if something sneaky was done to prevent the public from seeing it prior to its ocurrance.

No can do. State law mandates that it be printed and distributed at least 2 weeks prior to the town meeting. Also every article must be discussed and voted on by the finance committee (or warrant committee) and board of selectmen, etc. Problem is that most in cities/towns pay no attention to local gov't and never read/open the town warrant to see what's in it.

I was dogging my town administrator's secretary and town clerk for 4 weeks prior to town meeting to see what was in it in case it required this sort of reaction (planning in advance). Luckily town meeting was innocuous but only ~150 people showed up out of ~12K registered voters. So sliding stuff thru is a piece of cake for someone with any organizational skills.

Just wondering if this notice was simply missed or if something sneaky was done to prevent the public from seeing it prior to its ocurrance.

No, no need for them to do something sneaky.

Most of the public is just asleep, does not vote, does not take affirmative action to learn what is going on in their towns, until one particular issue arises.

It is a full-time job, democracy is, we must always be vigilant.

These things will always happen, when only 10% of eligible voters vote in many municipal elections and even less come to town meetings.

No, no need for them to do something sneaky.

Most of the public is just asleep, does not vote, does not take affirmative action to learn what is going on in their towns, until one particular issue arises.

It is a full-time job, democracy is, we must always be vigilant.

These things will always happen, when only 10% of eligible voters vote in many municipal elections and even less come to town meetings.

I think there are 90K people in my city and never more than 20 at the meetings.

Anyone who lives or hikes in the Weston conservation lands please contact comm2a through the help line on our website (under contact) ASAP.

So Weston gives residents an LTC-A no restrictions, but if the resident is found to be CCW in the issuing town they can be arrested.

Government logic at its finest.

I think there are 90K people in my city and never more than 20 at the meetings.

I hypothesize that the people most interested in local gov work 40-60 hrs a week and have a family to raise. Not that it's an excuse but it leaves little time to seriously study local affairs. Loss of a commonly shared information source like newspapers to post announcements probably compounds the issue.

Contentious issues like the school budget always brings in a crowd. At least here.

Last edited:
So Weston gives residents an LTC-A no restrictions, but if the resident is found to be CCW in the issuing town they can be arrested.

Where did you see that? That one can be arrested for CCW.

Do you mean if the resident is found to be CARRYING???

- - - Updated - - -

Where did you see that? That one can be arrested for CCW.

Do you mean "can be arrested for Carrying"?

- - - Updated - - -

Does any one know the motivation for this stupid law? Poachers? Stupid liberals? What?

Boiling the frog. Encroachment no matter how small is the goal. Incrementalism will get you there.

Anyone who lives or hikes in the Weston conservation lands please contact comm2a through the help line on our website (under contact) ASAP.
Link
Does any one know the motivation for this stupid law? Poachers? Stupid liberals? What?
Based upon the DCR's recent attempt to ban possession of firearms in most of eastern Massachusetts (including my home) and the way this is positioned in the by-law, I suspect they're thinking about poaching and unauthorized recreational shooting. I don't think it's an intentionally anti-2A move.

Everyone, with all of the town meeting level proposals getting filed please be proactive, flex some google fu and check your city/town annual meeting notice/warrant/articles, or at the least call your town clerk and see what you can find out. You can usually find the info you need on the town website.

Weston was able to vote this through without any serious opposition b/c nobody on our side knew about it.

See article 20: http://www.weston.govoffice.com/ver...FE907B479E}/uploads/Warrant_4.13.15_Final.pdf

Where do you apply to take a dump?

I'll admit to not reading the full thread however.....

A TM vote must be backed by a ballot vote. This says that the TM vote can be revoked by ballot. Most voters are too effin lazy to follow up because they think TM votes are the rule.

This is untrue.

prop 2.5 override town meeting votes must also prevail at the ballot, but not the type of article we are discussing here. In the case of the prop 2.5 override vote at town meeting, the town meeting vote authorizes the debt expenditure (appropriates the dollars). The ballot vote is the means of exempting the debt from prop 2.5 strictures. If the ballot vote fails, the town meeting action means nothing essentially.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom