• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Westford Sportsmens Club Open House 10/26

Forgot to post this sooner....

Westford Sportsmen's Club inc. is having an open house tomorrow 10/26 1pm-4pm

http://www.westfordsportsmensclub.org/

[h=2]Saturday, Oct 26 from 1-4pm[/h] Visit our Membership table under the tent!

Family Fun!

1:15 - 1:45: K9 Demo with Westford's finest.
1:00 - 2:30: Hands on for kids (even adult kids) with Reptiles on the Move.
2:00 - 2:45: Birds of Prey with Tom Ricardi show.
3:00 - 4:00: WolfTalk show.

Exhibits and Games

Blacksmith Demos with Ray Ciemny
Pumpkin Painting
Archery demos and games
SWAT

Sporting Demos

1:15 and 3:30 - Competition Pistol Demo at Pistol Range
1:30 and 3:45 - Cowboy Action Shooting Demo at Pistol Range
1:45 and 3:00 - Trap Demo at Trap Range
1:45 - 3:30 - Supervised Shooting at the Rifle Range
1:00 - 4:00 - Demos and games through out the afternoon at the Archery Range.

I've been to the site but can't find anything about club rules or costs. I'm guessing the site is being redesigned?

I've been to the site but can't find anything about club rules or costs. I'm guessing the site is being redesigned?

It looks like the site has been temporarily taken over by the open house. It normally has loads of information on membership, ranges, trap, calendar, etc... I'm guessing it will be back to normal in a couple of days.

Yeah.. the site has been down for at least the past week and then they got something up for the open house at the last minute it seems. Normally the site would have that information....

I forget exactly what the dues are, but its pretty typical compared to other clubs in the area from what I've seen. Something like $100 initiation fee, $125 yearly dues, (plus or minus $25 for either of those since I don't remember)

We didn't sign up...not to tell tales out of school, but when I mentioned that I'd prefer to be able draw from a holster and was not only told vehemently "No.", but I was also told that "If you have to draw from your holster in real life then you've already lost the fight and you should run...", so I took that as my chance to run from the club. I know it's tough with most clubs and the "draw from a holster" rule, but I've never actually _seen_ the Fuddery live and in person. It was a "deer-in-the-headlights-this-guy-is-crazy" kinda look and reaction.

That said, it was a really nice looking club. Too bad.

We didn't sign up...not to tell tales out of school, but when I mentioned that I'd prefer to be able draw from a holster and was not only told vehemently "No.", but I was also told that "If you have to draw from your holster in real life then you've already lost the fight and you should run...", so I took that as my chance to run from the club. I know it's tough with most clubs and the "draw from a holster" rule, but I've never actually _seen_ the Fuddery live and in person. It was a "deer-in-the-headlights-this-guy-is-crazy" kinda look and reaction.

I'm not sure who told you that, but I am quite certain there are no rules regarding that - although it would probably not be a good idea to be drawing and shooting from behind the bench tops if the range is busy. WSC does not have a bunch of action pits where people can go and practice alone.

When I joined the club, I asked that same question and was told that I could certainly do that. Apparently YMMV depending on who you ask. I wouldn't call WSC a fudd club, even though it may have some people that fit that description. Case in point: the latest raffle is a scary black rifle....

Last edited:
Unless you spoke with the range officer himself this maybe wrong. If I make the next meeting I will ask him.

I forget exactly what the dues are, but its pretty typical compared to other clubs in the area from what I've seen. Something like $100 initiation fee, $125 yearly dues, (plus or minus $25 for either of those since I don't remember)

I'm pretty sure it's $150 initiation and $120/year.

I'd love to know who the hell told you that. There is NO issue with drawing from a holster at the club (belt or IWB), a shoulder holster is an issue because you'd be sweeping those next to you. Most of the rules have been pretty FUD free. We have had to institute an orientation for the outdoor ranges to get your orange card. For the indoor range you have to attend an orientation and demonstrate that you can keep your hits on the backstop. This has been due to people damaging the range.

Oh man--I guess I spoke to the wrong people! She and the gentleman next to her both said the same--they were near the indoor range table. And as I tried to explain I was referring to a controlled draw and not playing Navy Seal or Cops-n-Robbers, the head swing and the repeated "No. No. No. No." was pretty damning to me.

Oh man--I guess I spoke to the wrong people! She and the gentleman next to her both said the same--they were near the indoor range table. And as I tried to explain I was referring to a controlled draw and not playing Navy Seal or Cops-n-Robbers, the head swing and the repeated "No. No. No. No." was pretty damning to me.

I'm really sorry to hear this. I'm not sure who was there today. I was going to try to stop by today but life got in the way. Please do not let this misinformation chase you off. The outdoor range (pistol/rifle) chairman is a retired founder of a firearms training group and the indoor range chairman is an active IDPA shooter. WSC is a great club with a lot to offer.

$150 initiation and $120 annualy. I checked out a bunch of clubs in the area and this one was the nicest in my opinion.

I can take you to check it out if you'd like.

as eisenhow said you are allowed to hostler draw (obviously is a safe manner.. no brainer) They arent restrictive at all you can shoot basically anything as long as its soft they have 55 gal plastic drums I use to shoot fruit off of. Just be polite and clean up your mess obviously.

Only rule they really stress is no one touch there gun at all while the range is cold but thats understanable.

Only rule they really stress is no one touch there gun at all while the range is cold but thats understanable.

Yup, plus no exploding targets (tannerite) and no shooting after sunset and before 1pm on sundays. That pretty much covers it.

Last edited:
I guess I should weigh-in here. I'm the WSC Indoor Range Chairman. eisenhow, jron, and jefftk pretty much covered the questions asked regarding dues and other issues.

I apologize for the person(s) at the Open House who responded to the question our ranges. There is nothing specifically addressing drawing from a holster in our Indoor or Outdoor Range Rules. When I'm asked about drawing from a holster on the Indoor Range, my response is that it is okay as long as it is done safely. I believe that the Outdoor Range Chairman would say the same.

The Indoor Range is basically a 50 foot NRA bull's eye range where shooting is allowed only from the shooting stations and targets must be cranked all the way downrange. So, I'm not sure how conducive that might be to drawing and shooting.

On our Outdoor Pistol Range, targets may be placed at almost any distance and if a shooter is alone,, he/she may move up to shoot in front of the berm. If multiple shooters are using the Outdoor Range, they must all shoot from the same distance.

The website is down due to technical issues that are trying to be resolved. So, the site may not be back up for a while, which is too bad because there was a lot of information there.

I'd be glad to answer any other question you might have.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom