Westfield man charged with illegally buying gun from ATF Agent

Should a felon who's done their time, and then reoffends,
be entitled to the same sentence that a first-timer would receive for the same crime?

If not, then they must not have had all their "rights" restored.

My first reaction was, crap... he got me...

But I think Dennis made a good point. We have no "right" to a specified sentence other than "equal protection".

Obviously we have that. No white man receives a more lenient sentence than a black offender, for instance. And a police officer that breaks the law would receive the same sentence given the same circumstances as a non police officer.

That aside, prior offenses should bring into question whether you should have been let out in the first place.

ALL that aside, a "right" should never be removed because of a blanket "catch all" rule. If you want to strip a man of his right to vote you follow due process. A judge hears the reasoning and evidence and says, yeah, this d-bag should never again vote. Same with 2A, same with any other "rights" related issue.

Follow due process and (I believe) the Constitution will go along with it. The concept of a PP as we know it is NOT Constitutional.

ALL that aside, a "right" should never be removed because of a blanket "catch all" rule. If you want to strip a man of his right to vote you follow due process. A judge hears the reasoning and evidence and says, yeah, this d-bag should never again vote. Same with 2A, same with any other "rights" related issue.

Follow due process and (I believe) the Constitution will go along with it. The concept of a PP as we know it is NOT Constitutional.

I wonder could a judge strip the right to be transgendered from a person?

I thinking specifically of that Canooker that keeps suing doctors and shops for not calling him Ma'am or something. There are discussions about him on this site someplace.

Could a judge put a stop to his shenanigans by saying "I judicially declare you to be male and you are barred from identifying as anything else, ever, on penalty of prison."?

lol, I just saw this. This kid is my cousin. Family is a mess, mom died in my grandmothers spare bedroom, sister is a huge mess and the father is who knows where. doesn't deserve jail as he has zero mental capacity.

Fewer than half of violent and property crimes are reported (41% and 32%), with fewer than half that are reported “solved” (45% and 18%). Imagine how many bad guys with guns are out there - millions? Most violent and property crimes in the U.S. go unsolved

Surveys show maybe 2/3 of on parole/probation say they have guns for protection. https://www.liebertpub.com/doi/full/10.1089/vio.2019.0054 I’m sure that’s true - even if a convict is “turning their life around”, they are more likely to be in an environment where people *are* out to get them, if not personally then statistically. If anyone *needs* a gun, it’s probably ex-convicts.
4qs9i4.jpg

... prior offenses should bring into question whether you should have been let out in the first place.
From which we get parole conditions.

Is it a violation of Federalism to have a nationwide law
forbidding gun possession by felons -
even in jurisdictions where the justice system can't be bothered
to impose those conditions when they foist felons back on the community?

Wikipedia: Due Process

Congressional Research Service: Federal Firearms Laws:
Overview and Selected Legal Issues for the 116th Congress: Due Process

I wonder could a judge strip the right to be transgendered from a person?

I thinking specifically of that Canooker that keeps suing doctors and shops for not calling him Ma'am or something. There are discussions about him on this site someplace.

Could a judge put a stop to his shenanigans by saying "I judicially declare you to be male and you are barred from identifying as anything else, ever, on penalty of prison."?
It would be simpler, but virtually never done,
to declare it "settled law" the second time the guy goes to court,
and the third time, smack the petitioner around; because barratry.

Turtleboy keeps publishing some guy's record,
and he then sues Turtleboy.
The judge(s) are like: yeah, no.
The guy has no concept he may be on thin ice.

lol, I just saw this. This kid is my cousin. Family is a mess, mom died in my grandmothers spare bedroom, sister is a huge mess and the father is who knows where. doesn't deserve jail as he has zero mental capacity.
Any idea why he was hell bent on buying a gun?

My mind is sufficiently blown by shoveling snow a bit too soon so I'm unable to digest that wall and clip.
Hot chocolate with Buttershot, that'll fix ya right up.

Just let me know whether that was supportive (so I can toss a 👍 or [laugh]) or a dope slap (so I toss a [crying] or [angry] at the post)

;)
It's assertions about reality (or what passes for it in Wikipedia articles).
Some of which was news to me:
  1. I hadn't heard of "procedural due process", per se.
  2. I'd heard of "substantive due process" but didn't know the definition.
  3. I didn't know that the various standards of review (rational basis, strict scrutiny, ...) related to substantive due process concerns.
Maybe it adds up to an agenda; then again, maybe not. YMMV.

Hot chocolate with Buttershot, that'll fix ya right up.

I add a teensy bit of amaretto to me covfefe for flavor. We ran out once so rummaged around in the bar and found some butterscotch schnapps and tried that.

DAMN that was good.

I forget what cocktail we had it for but now I stock it for an occasional changeup on the covfefe intake.

I add a teensy bit of amaretto to me covfefe for flavor. We ran out once so rummaged around in the bar and found some butterscotch schnapps and tried that.

DAMN that was good.

I forget what cocktail we had it for but now I stock it for an occasional changeup on the covfefe intake.

Butterfinger-Cocktail-10-630-630x866.jpg

Some of you read up on what the current list of felonies are in the United States. We need to stop being afraid of the work "felon".

Yep - if my neighbor buys feathers on eBay to make fly fishing lures, and the Post Office delivers them to me by mistake, I can be convicted of a felony for receiving bird feathers from China that were illegally smuggled out of Malaysia. Even if the feathers were fake dyed chicken feathers instead of those from a protected species, as my neighbor had intended to but those real feathers from China, where the bird wasn’t protected.

Appointed/hired agency bureaucrats can make US Code that makes us felons, whether innocent or not.

Intent. Something that is lost on the government in 2020. It used to be you have to INTEND to commit a crime to be guilty of said crime.

It is to the point with teh federal government that if they were in charge of local speeding tickets, you could get one for going over the speed limit but not knowing because some dolt took out the sign.

Back
Top Bottom