• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Western Mass Gunsmith

Too many gun dealers profess to be gunsmiths but they are not. Can someone make a recommendation of a good gunsmith (primarily handguns) in Western Mass. Thanks in advance for any suggestions.[grin]

Mike Larocca is in Worcester (I know, that's not Western MA) and very highly regarded as a gunsmith on handguns. He advertises in The Outdoor Message, so if you are a GOAL member you should have his info handy.

Sorry but I don't know anyone else in that neck of the woods.

I had Mike LaRocca do the reliability package on my PPK/S and would recommend his services. Turnaround time was fairly quick as well.

I can recommend "Swift River Gunworks" in Belchertown,Ma He is a full service gunsmith. His web-site is www.sr-gunworks.com

He has worked on a couple of my rifles. Give him a look see.I know he does handguns as well.

Last edited:
Swift River doesn't do trigger work or so he told me. Wanted him to do work on S & W M&P Shield he wouldn't do it.

Swift river told me a couple years ago he'd smooth a trigger but would not alter the weight. Claiming possible legal issues.

There is a brand new gunsmith on East St. So. Hadley. Going north on 202 turn right on East St. about half mile on the left, dirt driveway and a sign at the entry.
Stopped at Swift River for a trigger change on my Walther, wanted to keep the gun for 6 months. I left.

Resurrection incoming. Apologies if I didn't look hard enough.
Anyone have a recommendation for a gunsmith that will pin and weld a compensator/ muzzle brake on a complete upper somewhere in the pioneer valley?
If not I'll make the drive to Newtech, or possibly try it myself, I certainly have enough tools to attempt it

K L Hooten is in Palmer. Both my son and I have used him for some small jobs, did good by us. His place is a little interesting to get to.

K L Hooten is in Palmer. Both my son and I have used him for some small jobs, did good by us. His place is a little interesting to get to.

Very close to work for me I'll check him out. Thank you!

I also used kl hooton. The weld is a bit ugly because he ran outta gas but was very cheap so can't complain.

Don't bother with swift river gun works he told me "I don't work on black guns" and the classic "that's not legal to build and I won't touch it"

I’ve also used KL Hooton before… guy goes good work.

I wouldn’t let Swift River touch anything I own ever again…
They seriously misdrilled some holes in my Mark 2 and then sent it back like nothing was wrong.

hooten isn't bad, nice gentleman. canted a front sight post on an a1 upper build I needed done that didn't come with dimples on the barrel from the barrel maker. he fixed it but the gas block shows it. used one other time before that and was pleased.

not sure Swift River is open anymore. but I know for certain Dark Horse mentioned earlier in this thread is no longer open.

The last time I went through Belchertown, Swift River was open.

Sadly, you ae correct about Dark Horse. Their shop was fun to visit.

Glad this topic got bumped. I'm looking to have an over and under shotgun cleaned up re-blued etc. I was ready to bring it to swift river.

I’ve also used KL Hooton before… guy goes good work.

I wouldn’t let Swift River touch anything I own ever again…
They seriously misdrilled some holes in my Mark 2 and then sent it back like nothing was wrong.

Did you bring this to his attention or is this a online forum only complaint? 🤔 I assume you did reach out and would be interested in the remedy/response you got.

Glad this topic got bumped. I'm looking to have an over and under shotgun cleaned up re-blued etc. I was ready to bring it to swift river.

Swift river is open. I dropped off in August and was told his backlog was out until Spring 2023. Personally not impressed with the backlog, but there is usually a reason why a shop is selective about work they take on/have a significant backlog. Good sign for quality work in my oppinion.

Looking at swift rivers website, it looks like he does nice work on older guns. Just a bit of a Fudd not wanting to touch anything modern. My only experience with him as that one phone call.

I'm sure you wouldn't like the hourly rate for that Bently mechanic to work on your civic mentality should be kicking in here.

Not this guy is lame because he won't glockify my ar. Think about it....

Back
Top Bottom