Westboro Baptist Church and Military Funerals

Westboro Baptist Church from Topeka, KS has stated its intention of staging a “protest” at the funeral of LT XXXXXX on Friday in XXXXXXX.

This small group of individuals has recently been picketing at military funerals around the country in order to call attention to their anti-gay agenda.

From various reports, we understand the group members are well-versed in their Constitutional right to gather and protest, and are reportedly equally well-versed in techniques designed to provoke physical reactions against them. From reports we have received, the group will not engage anyone physically, but through the use of graphic slogans, signs, and verbal harassment will attempt to provoke a response, which will then be videotaped for use in legal action against the individuals involved. This group reportedly funds its activities through a combination of donations from its members as well as from financial settlements won in lawsuits.

And we thought Sheehan was BAD.

Zombie, I think you know who's funeral this is. Please use restraint on these jerks, if you attend.

Sounds like a pepper ball sniper needs to be called in to disperse this SHIT!
How DARE they!

Adam

If I was in the unfortunate position to organize the funeral and I feared it would have these jackholes at it... I would advertise it at one church and hold it at another.

Adam

Well, a few things I didn't say:

I'm glad I didn't make plans to attend (the wife wouldn't restrain herself). And no, I don't personally know the deceased LT.

They're definitely not helping their hateful agenda.

It's in the wrong part of VT for them to get ANY support, though most of us were against the Civil Union law.

People wonder WHY I'm an Atheist, now they know. I hate these jerks that hide behind the church. And my bible thumping brother-in-law in Arkansas will get an earful. He is a Baptist, maybe I can convince him to get the Baptist church to excommunicate these clowns.

Soooooooo,shall we show up with flags in hand? With any luck the police will keep them at bay. That is sooo wrong. It truly pisses me off that they do this to the families. [evil]

MrsWildweasel said:
Soooooooo,shall we show up with flags in hand? With any luck the police will keep them at bay. That is sooo wrong. It truly pisses me off that they do this to the families. [evil]

Where is it? I'm there!!

Aw, I'll post this, it's already readily available. Warning, I'm told the parking will be limited at that church.

Visitation will be from 3 to 6 p.m. Thursday afternoon at the Clifford Funeral Home in Rutland, VT,

The funeral service will be at 11 a.m. Friday, 30 September 2005, at Christ the King Church in Rutland, VT.

A ceremony will take place at 1 p.m. Friday, 30 September 2005, at the Vermont Police Academy in Pittsford, VT.

Cards should be sent to the Dooley home at 83 Hunt Road, Wallkill, NY 12589.

Nickle said:
People wonder WHY I'm an Atheist, now they know. I hate these jerks that hide behind the church. And my bible thumping brother-in-law in Arkansas will get an earful. He is a Baptist, maybe I can convince him to get the Baptist church to excommunicate these clowns.

Whoa... these idiots have as much to do with God as a pig does with Sunday.

These "people" are using religion as a shield to hide behind and spread their hate and vitriol.

Sounds like you visited their website. I can't. Hate speech or something like that.

You're right, REAL Christians would understand, and not protest a funeral. They also are smart enough to figure out that the good LT probably didn't support the Civil Union law (but, he may have).

Myself, my only concerns were the POS governor that forced it down our throats, the politicians that let themselves be coerced by a minority (and out of staters), and the simple fact that the way the law was written, it could've caused about 5,000 people to move here. That would be 1% of out population, all educated and wanting jobs. The unemployment rate would then go up a few %, and that wouldn't be good.

If you don't believe that a majority of us oppossed it, check into the backlash the following election cycle, and how long Howard Dean lasted.

We don't these folk's hate, either. They've protested in Plattsburg, NY, and the locals held signs saying "Take Back Your Hate". Appropriate and just, in my opinion.

To end, I feel for them, IF they protest any of my families funerals. It won't be pretty, but some of us will have fun. 8)

ETA - Ross, I know you're not a Christian, but your folks are far more tolerant than Christians in this area.

So which day are they protesting? I see a road trip in my future possibly. God forbid they ever show up at one of my family members funeral. I was raised Baptist,but nothing like this.

Now let me get this straight, because it seems really, really confusing to me. A group from Westboro Baptist Church of Topeka, Kansas is supposedly going to be protesting at military funerals because of what the see as DoD's "anti-gay" policies? And this is the same bunch of hate-filled shit-for-brain wackos who have been showing up at funerals of gays (including the kid who was beaten, tied to a barb wire fence and left to die of exposure), proclaiming that G-d hates them and HIV is the "cure" for homosexuality. Now what part of this picture doesn't make sense to me?

Ken

Nickle said:
Sounds like you visited their website.
Nope. I just have heard enough of this crap in the media to know how they think.

Nickle said:
They also are smart enough to figure out that the good LT probably didn't support the Civil Union law (but, he may have).

Myself, my only concerns were the POS governor that forced it down our throats,

OK, you lost me here. They're protesting because of the civil unions law? I thought that their whole premise is that because we have gays in the US, we're sinful and G-d is letting us get killed because we're defending them. That's my understanding of their tortured "logic". I don't know if they're protesting that or not - maybe I don't know how they're thinking after all. I don't want to get close enough to them to find out; personally, I find their "reasoning" illogical and merely an excuse to hate that which they fear; ie; homosexuals.

Nickle said:
To end, I feel for them, IF they protest any of my families funerals. It won't be pretty, but some of us will have fun.

Don't do it, bro. You'll be playing right into their hands if you do. They'll get publicity (more, anyway) and $$$ from the lawsuits that will follow. Protest right back at them; there must be a way to turn this against them. Protest outside their church in Kansas or something... I'm not good at strategy that way, but there must be a way to do it.

Nickle said:
ETA - Ross, I know you're not a Christian, but your folks are far more tolerant than Christians in this area.

Aw hell, Nickle, my people have been the target for anyone who wanted someone to kick around for several thousand years! I know what it's like that way. Personally, I have too many friends (black, white, yellow, straight, gay, bi) to be prejudiced against any of 'em - I know first hand that none of that makes a person evil or good; it's just something that they are, but it doesn't define all of what they are.

Frankly, if these idiots from Kansas have any purpose in G-d's plan, it's as a bad example. It shows you what NOT to be.

OK, I'll get off of my soapbox now.

Ross

dwarven1 said:
Nickle said:
To end, I feel for them, IF they protest any of my families funerals. It won't be pretty, but some of us will have fun.

Don't do it, bro. You'll be playing right into their hands if you do. They'll get publicity (more, anyway) and $$$ from the lawsuits that will follow. Protest right back at them; there must be a way to turn this against them. Protest outside their church in Kansas or something... I'm not good at strategy that way, but there must be a way to do it.

Gotta agree with Ross on this one, Nickie baby. Just get your Dead Horse guys out there with their bikes. Have them all facing the dipsh*ts, and have them rev up their hogs (or whatever horse they're on) to cover up their vile spew. Make sure you let us know if they're coming. Ross and I will come up there holding signs that say "Judge not lest ye be judged. Sound familiar?"

Lynne said:
Gotta agree with Ross on this one, Nickie baby. Just get your Dead Horse guys out there with their bikes. Have them all facing the dipsh*ts, and have them rev up their hogs (or whatever horse they're on) to cover up their vile spew.

Unfortunately, the DH folks I met mostly ride European bikes... with functional mufflers! Hmm... Wonder if I can con my friend Gerry into letting me borrow his chopped Triumph with the straight pipes? And if it would make it up to VT???

Lynne said:
Ross and I will come up there holding signs that say "Judge not lest ye be judged. Sound familiar?"

Ooooohhh! I like it!!!

dwarven1 said:
Unfortunately, the DH folks I met mostly ride European bikes... with functional mufflers!

You haven't met Bandanna Bill yet.

Oh, trust me, I'm pretty sneaky about being obnoxious and getting away with it.

And these jerks are targetting certain states, especially VT and Mass, due to our laws.

The DUMB Bastards are actually claiming that "God is blowing up our troops because he hates the US, and is punishing us". Sounds like something "Muslim" [roll] extremeists would say.

Nickle said:
The DUMB Bastards are actually claiming that "God is blowing up our troops because he hates the US, and is punishing us". Sounds like something "Muslim" [roll] extremeists would say.

I'd love to see someone toss a grenade at them and claim "G-d told me to do it because he hates them."

It must just be me, because I just cannot understand the point of view that uses hate and bile to try and make the point. (and no, I don't really want someone to throw a grenade at them! The irony would be amusing, though) I mean, yeah, we make fun of liberals on this forum, but when I talk to a lib I try reason, not hatred, to make my point. Guess I'm just an innocent. [cry]

Nickle said:
Zombie, I think you know who's funeral this is. Please use restraint on these jerks, if you attend.

This group, wisely, decided not to attend. There were several hundred soldiers and law enforcement officers in attendance. I don't think it would have been pleasant for them.

zombie said:
Nickle said:

This group, wisely, decided not to attend. There were several hundred soldiers and law enforcement officers in attendance. I don't think it would have been pleasant for them.

I'm glad for the family and friends. Maybe they've come to the realization that doing that sort of thing is NOT a good idea. One can always hope...

zombie said:
Unfortunately not. I had heard about a protest they staged a couple weeks ago out in, I think, Ohio. [evil]

That just sucks so bad. Ya know, I don't care what color/religion/race/etc.etc.etc. someone is - stupidity and calousness knows no bounds.

KMaurer said:
And this is the same bunch of hate-filled shit-for-brain wackos who have been showing up at funerals of gays (including the kid who was beaten, tied to a barb wire fence and left to die of exposure), proclaiming that G-d hates them and HIV is the "cure" for homosexuality.
Ken

That's the bunch. Regardless of where anyone comes down on such issues, these people are so far out on the fringe as to almost make them seem goofy. But they cannot be dismissed or ignored. They are a very dangerous, well-funded group that knows how to grab press everywhere they go. Showing up at funerals and protesting like they do, especially funerals of members of our military and of murder victims is just so mind-numbingly vile there aren't words for it.

You won't find a stronger advocate of free speech than me, but what these people do borders on the criminal.

Steve

It's good for everybody that they didn't attend. They protested my law school graduation at the University of Kansas. Many in Fred Phelp's family became lawyers, and most of them have been disbarred in Kansas. I remember them hurling insults at everyone, parents, kids, grandparents...including my grandmother. They're scum.

As for military protests, they are protesting don't ask don't tell, as the replacement for the prior outright ban on homosexuals in the military. Pretty F-ing moronic.

Back
Top Bottom