• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

West Springfield Gun Show

We were there today... looked at the Federal 1000 rds 9mm for $189.00; passed for now... Looked at some G17 mags... too much to spend on 'em now... saw the jerky guy with his bare hand in the bins, trimming "something" off the ends of the jerky, then putting the meat back into the bin... passed him too... no GOAL table... had a nice chat with the Springfield Sportsman's Club people... I may join a new club (again!).

Oh, I found a nice black 1 1/2" leather belt for $20. I got that...

I worked the show yesterday and in a word it "SUCKED". I did not go back today. By 2 p.m. Saturday there were about 20 people in the place. Also the promoter stated there were 700 tables. I am still looking for the 700 tables.

She does have a tendency to do a NY Count! [thinking] [laugh]

I'll never go again. Bad enough that it's small and generally sucky, with few things that I won't see by driving to gun shops within a 40 mile radius. Bad enought that there is little that isn't priced a trifle above retail.

But THEN ... I finally find something I'm willing to buy. I've been looking for a S&W Model 66, and I find a guy who has a 66-1 and a 66-3. I agonized and decide to go for the 66-1. It's not a steal, but I want it.

As I'm filling out the 4473 he askes if it's cash or credit card. I tell him it's CC. He tells me his CC reader is busted. I go to the ATM outside and it won't read my card. It won't read my son's card. No sale.

I don't blame the dealer. He's a good guy I've bought from before. But WTF?

So I go to the ammo tent. Ain't got shit. I want some 7.62x39. All they have is brass cased. WTF. All they have for everything is brass, and I don't want brass.

$5 to park and $40 for admission for 4. At least I got to take a leak.

Never. Again.

We were there today... looked at the Federal 1000 rds 9mm for $189.00; passed for now... Looked at some G17 mags... too much to spend on 'em now... saw the jerky guy with his bare hand in the bins, trimming "something" off the ends of the jerky, then putting the meat back into the bin... passed him too... no GOAL table... had a nice chat with the Springfield Sportsman's Club people... I may join a new club (again!).

Oh, I found a nice black 1 1/2" leather belt for $20. I got that...

I like SSC. I've been a member there for a few years now... Let me know if you join up.

I worked the show yesterday and in a word it "SUCKED". I did not go back today. By 2 p.m. Saturday there were about 20 people in the place. Also the promoter stated there were 700 tables. I am still looking for the 700 tables.

I stopped going to that show two years ago.
In addition to a 90 mile drive and paying to park, the show gets smaller and smaller every time. I remember when it was 900 tables, and was so packed you couldn't navigate around the whole place in a day. I don't bother anymore. I'd rather drive a third the distance and go to Marlboro or Wilmington.

Zapper you are so correct. I too remember when that show was so big it would take you an entire day to see everything.

The Big E is going down hill fast. They are getting too greedy for their own good. The price it costs for a table nowadays makes it near impossible for vendors to give really good deals.

The Big E is going down hill fast. They are getting too greedy for their own good.
The price it costs for a table nowadays makes it near impossible for vendors to give really good deals.

They probably charge more for tables now to make up for the empty space that doesn't sell.
Also, their ammo policy is outright stupid.
No ammo allowed inside the building? WTF?
I laughed the first time I saw the ammo vendor out in the parking lot, in a tent, in December when it's 8 degrees out, with PROPANE HEATERS to stay warm.
Oh yeah, that's a LOT safer than bringing the ammo and gunpowder inside.

[rolleyes]

They probably charge more for tables now to make up for the empty space that doesn't sell.
Also, their ammo policy is outright stupid.
No ammo allowed inside the building? WTF?
I laughed the first time I saw the ammo vendor out in the parking lot, in a tent, in December when it's 8 degrees out, with PROPANE HEATERS to stay warm.
Oh yeah, that's a LOT safer than bringing the ammo and gunpowder inside.

[rolleyes]

So you're saying I shouldn't store my ammo near that space heater in the garage? Well, I'm out of ideas.

I was going to say, I have only been once and he was there. There were also a few tables with different BBQ and hot sauces to try. I really want a ankle holster for my SW 442 and I am hoping to find one there

Yeah everytime we have been they both have been there.

Sounds like I didnt miss anything. I planned on going but have been working nights and would have had to have gone right out of work. I decided it was better to just go straight home. Its a 2 hour ride for me. Did anyone notice any P38s or Lugers there and what the going rate was for them?

Well, I drove all the way out to West Springfield. I don't think I'll bother ever again. Wasn't worth buring the gas let alone wasting the time. Every year this show get's smaller and smaller. I'm not sure why, but I hear they overcharge the sellers. Plus they make would-be customers pay for parking. I think the environment must have been wearing on the vendors, too. Some seemed even more ornery than usual.

Zapper you are so correct. I too remember when that show was so big it would take you an entire day to see everything.

That was what I was going by when I was telling my wife that we couldn't cover it in the hour, or two she was allotting for us to be there. the last time I went was close to 20 years ago, and it was huge! I ended up only buying some nice 5.56 ammo containers, as there was a guy selling them for $10 a piece, and I entered a raffle for a M&P15, since I really want an AR anyway. My wife, and I got to talk to the representative from Eastern Safe, and he told us about the NES group buy, so we are considering jumping in on that once I get my green screen name. We did snag one of his "Sportsafes" to bolt down near the bed. I liked the fact that it was removable, and I could get extra plates to mount in our vehicles, so that I could have some secure, portable storage, in cases where firearms are not permitted like courthouses, schools, etc. I did get to handle a ton of handguns, as did my wife, so that I could rule out some that I thought I might want anyway. All in all, I didn't see any real deals on firearms, but it was a fun way to spend a few hours anyway. Worth the price of parking, and admission - probably not. I will probably go back, though in the spring, just for the heck of it.

The fact that they charge for parking has cut into the show attendance a lot beside the high rates that are charged for the vendors. I use to go to everyone show they had for guns but stopped going awhile back. I live in town and residents do get a sticker for free parking there but even then it's almost not worth it. I do miss the days when the show filled the building and sometimes spilled over into another. Those days are gone. The Big E is just ripping vendors and public off more an more and it's a Tax Free operation besides. Pays no taxes to our town. Don't even go to the motorcycle show anymore. Just not enough there to warrant the cost unless I'm really really bored. Had better time shooting at the club.

I got my LTC over a year ago, and I am finally in a position to purchase a firearm. I have been practicing with a 9mm and that is what I want to purchase. I know some folks say a 9mm doesn't offer as much protection but I figure that if someone was pointing a 9mm at me, I sure wouldn't want to mess with someone carrying one. It seems to be the best for me because it has less recoil, and it fits my small arthritic hand best than the other semi automatics that I have tried. I am a bit discouraged by the comments about the gun show in West Springfield. I was planning on going now that I have some money to purchase. This will be my very first purchase, and I don't want to buy a piece of junk that may not be safe to use. Any ideas? I sure could use as much input as possible. I was thinking I should just buy new, but my finances are limitedd due to a fixed income.

Some of the regular dealers there are good and not gonna sell you junk. Just ask around here which venders the members feel they can trust. Myself Two local stores are pretty good. AAA guns and Guns N Parts. It would be a one stop hit a bunch of dealers trip. Ya the show ain't what it use to be but if you have limited funds might be the best choice for you at the moment.

If you go to the West Springfield show, know your prices before hand. AAA guns we know raises their prices for the show. We have bought from them in their shop. Nick's in Palmer is a good place. Very nice people to deal with.

I got my LTC over a year ago, and I am finally in a position to purchase a firearm. I have been practicing with a 9mm and that is what I want to purchase. I know some folks say a 9mm doesn't offer as much protection but I figure that if someone was pointing a 9mm at me, I sure wouldn't want to mess with someone carrying one. It seems to be the best for me because it has less recoil, and it fits my small arthritic hand best than the other semi automatics that I have tried. I am a bit discouraged by the comments about the gun show in West Springfield. I was planning on going now that I have some money to purchase. This will be my very first purchase, and I don't want to buy a piece of junk that may not be safe to use. Any ideas? I sure could use as much input as possible. I was thinking I should just buy new, but my finances are limitedd due to a fixed income.

Welcome to NES and the fine world of gun ownership.

There is NOTHING wrong with carrying a 9mm, as long as the gun fits your hand, and you can shoot it well. I highly recommend them (as well as my trusty 1911 [smile]). GoldDots or HST are great defensive rounds that make the 9mm an excellent carry gun.

Since we have no idea where you live, advice about going to a gun show in any particular location may or may not make sense. The shows seem to run in a series . . . 2 or 3 in MA over a month-6 weeks time then not again for 3-6 months.

If you live near Springfield, by all means go to see/hold/touch, but DON'T buy unless you know what the "normal price" is beforehand. See MrsWildWeasel's comments above.

If you are in Eastern MA, go to one of the shows in Wilmington (3/5 & 3/6) or Marlboro (4/2 & 4/3) instead. But I would advise opting to go to First Defense in Uxbridge or Four Seasons in Woburn ASAP, depending on which one is reasonably near you, as both shops will truly help you out and won't lead you wrong in helping select your first gun.

i would say no...there is nothing good going on in that shit hole of MA..stay clear

While you may not like the gun show.....but for someone that is trying to see a bunch of guns without going to a bunch of gun stores and driving all over hell and back, it is a good place to start. Our gun stores are far and few at this point. As long as they know their prices before going, you never know they might find a deal. Doesn't hurt.

While you may not like the gun show.....but for someone that is trying to see a bunch of guns without going to a bunch of gun stores and driving all over hell and back, it is a good place to start. Our gun stores are far and few at this point. As long as they know their prices before going, you never know they might find a deal. Doesn't hurt.
+100 Right you are. Also will give a chance to see a larger variety of guns since just getting into it probably hasn't seen or handled a lot and gives them a chance to meet some of the dealers and decided for themselves if they want to do business with them. While I don't feel the guns shows are as good as those years ago I doubt I'm as good as I was years ago. LOL.

Have to agree. This time of year not a lot to do. Also do meet a lot of old friends. I'll go this time. Haven't been in years but the Big E gives town residents free parking to all events except the Fair itself so heck I'll fork over the entrance fee. LOL

Back
Top Bottom