• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

West german Sig P226

Do the West German manufactured Sig P226s have more value over a NH produced one and why? Was the late 80s, early 90s the heyday of Sig-Sauer quality?

I prefer the West German guns over the NH models just because I've never heard a peep about the quality issues that plague NH and high lot production.

Some were mixed from both plants. I have one of them.

to me the west german models are nice collectors. the breech block insert is supposed to be replaced every 5k rounds IIRC, something around there. the old folded steel slides with breech insert were a band aid design. while I also rag on NH built Sigs, the US built steel slides are made to go forever. my preference is the short external extractor as seen on the P220s, older P226/229's and MK25. the german guns are internal extractors.

The West German guns are serial # marked on the frame, barrel and slide....
along with a bunch of german proof marks...

i'm a happy owner of a 220 i bought new in 1991-92. it's a bastard gun, parts manufactured in germany, assembled in n.h. a super nice pistol in anyones book. i've never shot a newer version of the gun, or one made entirely in germany, so i can't compare them.

Do the West German manufactured Sig P226s have more value over a NH produced one and why? Was the late 80s, early 90s the heyday of Sig-Sauer quality?

The trigger in SA is usually better (cleaner break, slightly lighter pull) and the guns aren't junk, although not all NH guns are junk it's just the QC basically turned into a rollercoaster there after a point. IMHO folded slide P220/P226/P228s are some of the most reliable guns in existence.

-Mike

I had a W. German 220. Functioned flawlessly. Not sure of the year, or if it was 100% W.G., but I do remember tracing the serial to the 90's.

When SHTF my West German P226 is getting strapped on. I'd use it as the bedroom safe gun but prefer a railed gun.

Having said that I wouldn't have second thoughts about a NH made P226.

Have a couple old 226 and a new Legion model. The old ones have the standard trigger as opposed to the short reset, but the pull and the break are smoother than the Legion.

German p226 does have a nicer trigger and like the mark25 too with the 1913 rail, short extractor

Back
Top Bottom