Wentworth Institute Needs your Help

My name is George Pantazelos

I am the coach of the Wentworth Institute of Technology's Rifle team.
We have a Men's and Women's Smallbore and Air rifle Team and a Women's Air Rifle team totalling up to about 20 shooters.
We compete in NCAA division 3 rifle and are members of the Mid-atlantic rifle conference.
We do not recruit shooters. All of our shooters are walk-ons. We teach a dozen new shooters the sport of collegiate riflery every year.
Last year we had a new shooter who fired her first shot with a rifle in september and made the Randle Trophy team in July at Camp Perry.
We have a small range on campus at Wentworth in Boston.
Our range was closed down at the end of last season due to an inadequate ventilation system. The school is currently proposing to restrict our live fire to air rifle only and extinguish our smallbore training on campus.
We are desperately trying to convince the school to spend the money necessary to upgrade the air handling system to support live fire with 22's.
Any contributions would be greatly appreciated.
These contributions must be properly specified to get the money to the team.
I have personally offered to make a sizeable contribution to the project if the school can have the range made ready by christmas of this year.

Interested people should contact me by email or phone:
Email:p[email protected]
Cell:7818586188

Welcome to the forum... sorry to hear about your troubles with the range.

How much are you looking to raise?
Maybe you could put together some sort of fundraiser event?

Tell your shooters to make some accounts here also - the more the merrier.

I would suggest a fundraiser type event.

have you tried contacting GOAL? They might have some helpful suggestions for you.

I was a member of my college rifle team. We didn't have an on-campus range. We rented a range from a private high school to do our shooting.

I went to Wentworth for four years and never knew they had a rifle team or even a range on campus. Some recruiting might not hurt!!

You could even have the Civil Engineer students do the design, and the Construction Managers install the system.

I went to Wentworth for four years

Sorry to hear that.

never knew they had a rifle team or even a range on campus. Some recruiting might not hurt!!

The range was/is in the basement of the gym. We even had an archery club.

You could even have the Civil Engineer students do the design, and the Construction Managers install the system.

Civils design ventilation systems? It does sound like a good senior project for a Mech E though.

An engineering school with trade school night classes...

Its like a match made in heaven to make this happen. I go nights for electrical and never knew about this.

I went to Wentworth for four years and never knew they had a rifle team or even a range on campus. Some recruiting might not hurt!!

you're not the only one..I graduated in '77,,,no idea they had a range

It was pretty well known when I went. But that was back in the mid to late nineties. The school tends to half ass a lot of stuff.

If I had known Wentworth had a rifle team, it probably would have swayed my decision to go there instead of Fitchburg State...

Does anyone know if Northeastern Univ. has a range or if they compete in shooting sports?

They're right across the street.

If they do, maybe some sort of cooperative arrangement would work out.

I assume if this was an option, it would have been pursued long ago.

Does anyone know if Northeastern Univ. has a range or if they compete in shooting sports?

They're right across the street.

If they do, maybe some sort of cooperative arrangement would work out.

I assume if this was an option, it would have been pursued long ago.

They've prohibited everyone but the actual campus cops from possessing firearms on the campus for decades.

The closest thing N.U. has to a rifle team is the ROTC department's drill team.[frown]

My first year there, a CJ student was stabbed to death outside his apartment on Columbus Ave, literally across the street from the Columbus lot. During my middle year, there was a shootout in the Ruggles station during one of my finals a couple of hundred yards away.
Oh yeah, I felt safe.[thinking]

NU had a rifle range (.22 target rifles only) in the Cabot Gym when I was a student there (graduated in 1970). It was just to the left of the doorway facing Richards Hall. A few years later that range was removed and the space was used for something else.

They also had a ROTC range on Parker St. I remember hearing that it was closed down many, many years ago.

I don't think that NU has any rifle team, probably killed it off when they closed their range.

Currently Wentworth is using Braintree R&P ranges until they get their situation squared away.

Like I said, to the best of my knowledge, the only schools competing are MIT and Wentworth in the Boston area. MIT has won the national title.

This seems like the sort of situation that CMP would be useful in.

Like I said, to the best of my knowledge, the only schools competing are MIT and Wentworth in the Boston area.

Depending on how you define "Boston area", there's also Mass. Maritime Academy. I think (or at least would like to think) that there are some high school rifle teams around as well, but the only one I know of is Gloucester. That's all rifle; I think MIT is the only game in town for pistol.

I wish the school Admin. would stop foot dragging and start the process of repairing the kids range. It's been known for months there was a problem. I hear it took over a year just to fix the gym floor. I hope this does not go nearly as long. Lets keep the oldest sport on the Wentworth campus going. GO Leopards!

I also went to Wentworth and didn't know about the Rifle Team. [sad2] I would've loved it!

I was a student in the Welding & CNC Machining department, & we had a great ventilation system. I wonder if the same style of exhaust fans they use in the shop area would work for the range as well....something to look into, perhaps.

I'm sure Dave Sullivan could answer some questions about the fans for you, if he's still in charge of the shop.

Back
Top Bottom