Went to purchase my first gun and got delayed.

Just went to purchase my first gun today and got delayed. Was told that it happens about 5 times a day in the shop. My issues date on my ltc was the beginning of the month. Anything i should be worried about?

No, it either means you have a common name, or you have something in your record. In which it will require an actual person to go and check on your application.

They love to tell you that you could be approved any minute.. Don't get your hopes up, you'll probably have to wait the 3 business days and go grab it then.. It sucks bro .. It really does.

If it keeps happening to you look into getting a UPIN.. I have to get my UPIN too

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
i have a upin, still get delayed…you just get used to it. it's a pain in the ass for sure tho

Someone needs to start getting pissed about this. There is ZERO reason for someone to still be delayed once they've obtained a UPIN.

-Mike

happened to me too on the first and a few times since. Sucked too since I drove from the north shore to Stoughton (RIP Tackle Unlimited) and had to do it again 3 days later. No issues and nothing to worry about

Happened to me when I bought my first gun too. On a Friday no less.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Be damn careful; after you pop your cherry the damn things seem to multiply!!! Good luck, welcome & enjoy!

Some tidbits for future transactions:
- Keep track of how long it takes for the shop to call you and tell you it's good to go.
- Find out what the shop's policy is for Delays, do they hold the firearm until you get a proceed or let it go after three business days according to the Brady Law
- If you didn't put your SSN on the form, consider it, sometimes it helps

The cause of the delay is likely a similar name to an "interesting character" and requires some additional research. On busy days, additional research can turn into a delay until they have people available. If you have any thing that makes you interesting, but not prohibited, it could also cause the delay.

I have purchased a lot of firearms of the years got delayed once a few years ago, a dealer I had never used before did an online niccs and asked for my ss# said it will speed up the process. I never use my ss# when buying a firearm. Yup delay.

I got delayed for my first, too, earlier this year. As far as I know the transaction never cleared (I guess it must have, but I never heard). The dealer released the gun to me after the 3 days and nobody has come knocking since.

I have an idea why I was delayed, but it's still a pain. Prevents me from buying from shops far away or gun shows. I'm going to try for a UPIN myself.

Small bummer for the delay, but congrats on buying your first! Practice as much as you can- because it's fun!

Delays suck, especially since there isn't much rhyme or reason to them. I was purchasing a *lot* of guns a few years ago and got to the point where I was getting delayed every time. Now I never get delayed. It's weird.

Back
Top Bottom