Went to four seasons yesterday

I was looking around and decided to pick up some golden sabre in 45. Not in Mass. I'm a NH resident with a LTC and I was unaware that I couldn't buy handgun ammo in mass w/o a MA class A. So what do you do if you are at a class or competition and you run out of ammo for the second day?

I did get the nonresident Class A application in the mail. I do a lot of business in MA and I still have family there. I just haven't had the time to go to the PD for the finger print cards yet. Oh and I guess since my NRA Basic Pistol Cert is two years old I'll have to take a new course.

The cert MUST be by a MA State Police Certified instructor. Merely being a NRA Certified instructor will not get you a MA LTC!

Even if you get the MA NR LTC, NOBODY in MA can legally sell you any ammo! Simons Rock (college shooting) law made that so. NRs can not buy long guns or ammo here, like free people can do in most other states.

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but that is the law. I won't tell you that some dealers won't sell it anyway, but them's the rules.

There is ONE exception.

If the ammo is part of a training program, it can be supplied.

We shoot all non-toxic on our shotgun fields. non-toxic is expensive and hard to find, so we buy it by the truckload for our shooters and that makes the price reasonable and availability is not a problem.

Since nobody shoots without an RO running the machines, it was fairly easy to set up a program where shooters buy a 'round' and the round either includes or doesn't include ammo at different prices. Resident club members can buy ammo directly in bulk, but non-members buy by the 'round'.

Our lawyer set it up, and it was explained like a driving instuctor or a flight instructor riding along as the student gets 'hours'. There to help, but usually just watches. We also have loner guns and other equiment so that a person buying a 'round' doesn't even need a license or gun as they shoot under the direction of an RO 'instructor'.

Rifle and Pistol are run differently, and we don't supply any ammo for those unless it is a specific class like a CMP, Junior Rifle, or Basic Pistol.

One of the things I want to try to set up in the coming year is the concept of daily club 'Braggin Rights" competition. You come and shoot and then mark down on a daily form the type of shooting and your score. Each day, the top shooter of each category earns a point like Nascar cup points. Solely for bragging rights. This way, the club is always open to out of state shooters who want to get into the 'competition'.

Back
Top Bottom