Went to first gun "buyback"

Dump POS for $200. Buy something good from another potential seller rather than let it be scrapped. Win? No?

correct, NO !

Meh, what's better- scrapping a POS for disposal or making anti's pay $200 for said POS and getting something functional with the money? Seems like a net positive to me.

That Sten really bums me out, however.

Rationalize it however you want, but you supported a gun control project in exchange for video game money.
I may or may not buy video games with it, I've got a backlog of games I bought and haven't played that is probably over 20 games right now. More likely I'll be buying food with it.

The gun I turned in is not worthy of being held in high esteem. Like, worse than Hi Point and it cost more. Why should I take a loss selling it for $50 to someone when I could get more money for it at the buyback? That's capitalism and I robbed the mofos who funded the buyback blind. If someone is stupid enough to donate money for a buyback thinking it's really going to make a difference, well, there's a sucker born every minute.
You funded the gun buy back. With your tax dollars.

OP, obviously you can do anything you want with YOUR property, just don't expect a lot of "attaboy's" about it.

Selling a gun at a "Buyback", even if ugly and useless, is not too far off from selling an ugly/useless sister to a brothel...

Meh, what's better- scrapping a POS for disposal or making anti's pay $200 for said POS and getting something functional with the money? Seems like a net positive to me.

I agree. I made a mistake buying something cheap and have spent years regretting it. Now that I was able to right that wrong and get the same amount back I paid for it, I feel better and in the end some fool flushed his money down the toilet to make himself feel better. Thing is this buyback generated a lot of controversy because they were offering to pay people more ($500) for stolen guns and said they were not going to test any of them to see if they had been used in crimes. To me, paying more for stolen guns is rewarding criminal behavior and since they announced this ahead of time, it's possible people deserperate for money will try to steal guns in the future knowing they can get $500 for them.

The Sten was trashed.

Anti’s aren’t paying out of their own pockets. They’re using our tax money as always to pay off idiots who think they’re making a buck and getting over on the system.

I will admit selling a piece of crap broken gun at a buyback 20 years ago. I have since been educated, I think Derick post this, that these buybacks are political events to make guns "bad"

My penance for the original sin of my sale is to post that I think people who profit off of buybacks are misguided.

It was funded by a rich Anti.
That rich anti is making his money through government kick backs. Contracts and so on. That is your tax money at work. The same tax money that is then used to fund this crap.

The cops are also paid with your tax dollars. Those cops could be better used somewhere else.
The disposal will have to be done by someone, paid with your tax dollars.

Like I said ... your tax dollars fund this.

OP, obviously you can do anything you want with YOUR property, just don't expect a lot of "attaboy's" about it...
Most old guys have a kneejerk reaction to everything that has an anti gun scent to it. We're talking about junk, not a fugging 1911 with a few bad springs in it.

Everybody can do what they want with their property and I am pro-gun, but I'll bet quite a few people were just like me who are pro-gun and wanted to dump junk and get money for it.

I sincerely hope this was successful and they have more "buybacks" in the future because I'm gonna game the system and make money off of it and laugh my way to Wally World.

Most old guys have a kneejerk reaction to everything that has an anti gun scent to it. We're talking about junk, not a fugging 1911 with a few bad springs in it.

Everybody can do what they want with their property and I am pro-gun, but I'll bet quite a few people were just like me who are pro-gun and wanted to dump junk and get money for it.

I sincerely hope this was successful and they have more "buybacks" in the future because I'm gonna game the system and make money off of it and laugh my way to Wally World.
Dude. People get pissed because this is used as marketing. Your gun will be in a picture somewhere. Someone will brag about all the evil guns they got off the street and use this for political gain.

The bigger picture is why people here don't support them.

Well we could settle this with a "Poll" post in pretty short order...

"Would you ever sell a lousy gun at a "Buyback" to make a profit and hurt the Anti's?

o "Hell No!"
o "Hell Yes!"

That rich anti is making his money through government kick backs. Contracts and so on. That is your tax money at work. The same tax money that is then used to fund this crap.

The cops are also paid with your tax dollars. Those cops could be better used somewhere else.
The disposal will have to be done by someone, paid with your tax dollars.

Like I said ... your tax dollars fund this.
We're already trillions in debt, it doesn't matter. You can't outlaw people offering to buy guns to destroy them and none of the people who basically sold their guns were forced to do it and like one of the posters above said, consider it a return of tax money to the people.

OP.. ain't gonna fly here. Participation in a gun buy-back isn't about the money, it's about the perception of success that the authorities will trot out to garner support for more gun control.

The best gun buyback would be one that gets ZERO turn-ins.

Only the POS homemade pipe gun in post #43 is acceptable to turn in as it shows the idiocy of such programs. When the .gov shows the pic with all the guns, the avg person can't tell the difference between a $100 gun and a $10k gun, and frankly doesn't care. They just see "all the guns taken off the street" and call it a success.

I would rather "transfer" a $100 Lorcin to a new shooter or someone who couldn't afford a firearm for protection of their family/home . maybe ACTUALLY make a difference in a shitty community.

but I'm different, I'd rather not sell out the firearm community for $100

that said, if you're in the position that the $100 is the difference between rent or food, I'd understand

Back
Top Bottom