• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Went to Dean Safety at the mill

Selling guns in MA is like selling bibles in Iran. Thank you for surviving!
Do we all still remember Blue Northern Trading in Ayer?

ayer.jpg

He helped me out with something at The Mill not too long ago. That where I saw the sign that is now responsible for over 400 posts. I thought the sign was funny even though at the time I had a shield. [laugh]
TPNES peruses the WTB’s every week or every other week and batch messages anyone looking for a regularly stocked item or something that is readily obtainable. TPNES, as well as most others, avoid taking deposits for things they COULD source in normal times but isn’t readily available to click and ship at a distributor because of the headache that will assuredly ensue when delays, back orders, and out of stock indefinitely during insane pandemic election riot times occur. Feel free to reach out to TPNES with requests, if it’s not in stock or instant orderable, there’s a list you can be put on to be notified when it’s available.

Go look at Maxwell Silverman's
Tryna make me weepy?

Restaurants from Central Massachusetts’ past

Even though I've been to scant few of those places.

I got an email the other day my club put an EV charging station in.
[rolleyes]

My last w.t.b. ad- got a message from a dealer at The Mill about 3 hours later.
They're watching you.

You are forgetting that most Mill shops are not hurting for business.

Business comes to them, no need to look for it.
main-qimg-9e7c442efc282a2b71dfa031284ba10d

WTF is a reverse pager??? Isn't that. . . a pager????
There's a Yakov Smirnoff "In Soviet Russia ..." joke hiding in there somewhere...

some of the vendors look like they're from the belt driven era😛
Count your blessings that a belt suffices.
dodlhmmlv.jpeg

(Hoping this random photo grab isn't an NESer;
at least, not a popular NESer).

Absolutely no problem with that. Just surprising attitude. I just don't have the luxury of being able to ridicule my customers. Not trying to change anyone's business plan, just would avoid places that reinforce the stereotype of the Ahole gun store proprietor. But if it works, then good for the owner.
You made your point, several times, why you have to go there and call him “Dick” or “a**h***”, do you react the same way with the store that sells only Nike or Apple? His business what he sells is up to him and he is fine with the consequences, I applaud him for not wasting my time if I am looking for any of the guns on the sign, it must have burn your ass really bad that keep repeating it over and over.

I like my customers too much to ever sell them a Taurus (or a hi point or a rock island or...)
40 short and wimpy is for FBI agents with limp wrists. Hot 9mm or 10mm or go home.
You can buy shields and the likes at the deli ticket emporium or any other shop in MA.

If this all offends you then just down the hall is Custom Defense Solutions and he will sell you what you want. Every shield my distributor sends me I send to Jason @ CDS as it meets his business model and not mine. That some of you think you get to have an opinion on how I run my business makes me chuckle. You get to decide what shop you go to and I get to decide how I run my shop. Don't confuse the two.

No one at the Mill does this full time. A full time shop is most likely gated by inventory or capital or something. I am gated by TIME, my time. I am open 3 days a week for a total of 15 hours. Essentially for every minute we are open I am busy processing background checks and/or helping customers. This means selling low margin shields that are available at every shop in MA is not a good use of my time. Selling more unique guns which demand a higher $$ margin (though lower % margin) is the right decision since I am completely time limited.

If you are a small shop, open 40+ hours a week and limited by capital (the amount of money you can tie up in inventory) then you want to stock the shelves with Tauruses and Shields. You pay $250 a gun and sell them for $300 each. That means your margin per transaction is $50 but more importantly it is 16.7% (50/300).

If you are time limited and not capital limited you are better off buying more expensive guns that cost $900 each and sell for $1000. Your margin per transaction is $100 but only 10%.

Small shop has no time constraints so doing lots of small transactions at 16.7% is better for his bottom line. They get 16.7% on whatever inventory they buy.
I am time limited and doing background checks literally as fast as I can so $100/transaction is better than $50/transaction. While I only get 10% return on my inventory, I get more $ per unit time.

Small shop measures return on capital.
I measure $ per unit time open.

Different business model therefore different decision about what to stock and sell.

The good news is we tell you upfront you are at the wrong shop before you even walk through the door.
Lots of parallels to other "hobby businesses" here. I'm a hobbyist snake breeder. I breed and sell animals on the Internet to other collectors. I have partners I work with on this, same as the FFL's at the Mill. I'm also time-constrained and don't want to waste time selling the same animals you can get at your local PetCo or reptile expo. I work with rare species that command more money and one of these animals is worth between six and ten of another more common species. Folks know up front that I'm not selling ball pythons or corn snakes.

1000+ guns in stock. Many of them future felonies with the senate grandfathering language. Buy your own private felony while you still can. Not to mention lots of receivers of future felonies which apparently are felonies themselves or maybe not if you “plan” to build fixed mag. You've got me.

And of course a huge supply of future frames and slides just waiting to be disassembled for the discerning customer.

Good news is I have a line on a large pile of preban AR lowers which unless the house messes with the bill will be more expensive than an equivalent amount of gold. Coming soon to a rape van near you. I promise to be lower than @Reptile pricing 😂😂😂

So, I've been to the mill three times, once on a random day driving by and twice on Wednesday afternoons. All three times, it was a ghost town and not really worth the drive.

Now that I no longer work in the area, it's turned into an hour drive for me to go. If I want to go this Saturday, what would be the best time to actually find a fair number of FFLs open?

Probably Saturday morning.

Almost all the FFL's have 'day jobs' so mid-week is usually a bust other than Wed. day.

It will be busy AF on Saturday; I avoid it if possible.

So, I've been to the mill three times, once on a random day driving by and twice on Wednesday afternoons. All three times, it was a ghost town and not really worth the drive.

Now that I no longer work in the area, it's turned into an hour drive for me to go. If I want to go this Saturday, what would be the best time to actually find a fair number of FFLs open?
Hi Chris!

I went to the mill once. It was terrifying; guns everywhere. I blew my rape whistle and peed in my pants. It seemed to help.

Some guy named Chris told me he was there to buy a SW Shield but got yelled at by an Egyptian guy named Randy, or maybe it was a randy Egyptian guy named Sharif? I dunno, anyway, he helped me to safety and we’re NEVER GOING BACK!!!

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom