• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Went to Dean Safety at the mill

[]
Sorry @Drix . I hope you found someone else open and able to help with transfers. Early on in Covid I was undisciplined about doing business only during posted hours and the shop became all consuming. I fell behind on everything like logging guns in, my day job, my personal life... So I put strict limits on doing business to posted hours. Sometimes it means walking away from transfers and sometimes large ammo sales, but it lets me pretend I have some balance in my life.

I did not get into this to make money (not complaining about making money but that was not the primary motivator) but for the people and to give the middle finger to Maura. Covid has put serious stress on my ability to spend time with my customers interacting. It feels way to transactional of late. Again, I hope you found someone able to help you.

Nothing on you man, just a little jab, I ran my own little retail place years back and you're right, it f***in creeps on you. I'll be back.

Maybe I missed it, but I can’t believe that no one has pointed out that it is “Dean Safety”, no s after the Dean.

I did a through investigation into setting up a small FFL operation at the Mill, complete with taking one of the FFL classes. The only purpose was to let me legally own silencers in MA. If I lived closer to the Mill I might have done it, but my kids in NH are not much further away, so if I really wanted to I could just keep them up there in an NFA trust. Of course that would not allow me to have one on my home defense gun, the real purpose of wanting a silencer. Having said that, I certainly would not have offered any local retail sales. I would have just sold through the Internet using out of state FFLs. Just enough to justify an 07 FFL. I would say that most of the tenants at the Mill are there for similar reasons and not to make money as an FFL.

In my experience, those like Randy who do offer retail hours do it more out of a love of firearms and the enjoyment they get out of interacting with others who share the same enthusiasm, whether new to the game or old hands.

What about the guy in the corner who didn't pay his bill?

Man speaks the truth, tried to give him $50 in transfers Friday night and he told me "No" and referred me down the hall ☹
Its probably because its a hobby business for them. Seems theres. Good amount of FFLs doing the FFL dealer/manufacture thing to help aid in their types if toys.

Not offended and actually found the sign funny. I'm just surprised that you would ridicule other gun shoppers. Your business, your rules. ...
It's always hilarious when people who don't own a business think they can tell someone who does own a business how they should be running it. Why even bother going to that specific shop at the mill if all you want is some average cheap gun that's available from any other store in the state?
Both true.
However, the same end (for shop) could be accomplished by just saying "We don't sell xyz guns here, because they don't generate enough revenue." or something like that. It would not only get the point across better, without as many questions, but also be more respectful of your customers, and them of you.

Then again, people are on here still talking about your business, and there's no such thing as bad publicity.

I had a good experience there, and knowing what you are walking into maybe makes the difference.

Best of luck to the business, and to all the businesses there, as well as to all shoppers. ;-)

He would get none of my business. Ridiculing people for their choice of firearm to purchase, as an ffl, is a stupid move.

Unless it was a joke. Then it was funny.
I'm on the other side of this. I'm good with an FFL who is willing to ridicule people and be strong to his or her opinions.

It's the nature of the craft.

As long as they are willing to say why they don't like the Taurus Curve. For example.

Both true.
However, the same end (for shop) could be accomplished by just saying "We don't sell xyz guns here, because they don't generate

So I've heard two excuses: this is a hobby not a business AND the cheaper gun are not profitable. So which is it? Ridiculing your customers because YOU haven't figured out how sell profitably? Or is it because the vendor can't jack the price like they do on the rest of their stock?

Either way, to me it sounds Bush league. But, again, it's their business and I support them to do whatever they want.

So I've heard two excuses: this is a hobby not a business AND the cheaper gun are not profitable. So which is it? Ridiculing your customers because YOU haven't figured out how sell profitably? Or is it because the vendor can't jack the price like they do on the rest of their stock?

Either way, to me it sounds Bush league. But, again, it's their business and I support them to do whatever they want.
Lighten up, Wilson. Jack.

You keep flinging this "your customers" thing around. [rofl]

The people referenced on the sign are not likely customers.

They're people that the vendor has intentionally deselected. No different than the same way a steakhouse deselects vegans just by existing.

It’s literally both: It is a hobby not a business where optimization of profit takes priority AND in the business framework which Randy chooses to operate selling the lower priced firearms happens to not be profitable. He already explained this very concisely in multiple posts, I suggest you revisit them and read through them again.

So would having a different opinion, say, one that matches your position exactly, be "lightening up"? What fun would that be?
Wilson you sound like that customer no one wants to deal with. His business his rules if you want to put your money where your mouth is rent some space and show him how it's done. I have a feeling you would become disenfranchised quickly when you discovered you weren't making a profit verse the timeline.

He's is smarter than most basing his business on profit not on feel good dynamics.

Wilson you sound like that customer no one wants to deal with. His business his rules if you want to put your money where your mouth is rent some space and show him how it's done. I have a feeling you would become disenfranchised quickly when you discovered you weren't making a profit verse the timeline.

He's is smarter than most basing his business on profit not on feel good dynamics.

Gawd. Getting tired of people not reading or hearing what they want. Even though cams thinks it's trolling I'll try again:
1. His business/his rules I fully support him
2. Not how I run my business
3. Is the reason he doesn't sell because of profit? Thats fair, but maybe there is a way to run the business better.

Nothing about what I have said challenges any business owner at the mill, or anywhere. I'm out.

Back
Top Bottom