• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Went to Dean Safety at the mill

Absolutely no problem with that. Just surprising attitude. I just don't have the luxury of being able to ridicule my customers. Not trying to change anyone's business plan, just would avoid places that reinforce the stereotype of the Ahole gun store proprietor. But if it works, then good for the owner.
I don’t even think it’s being an a-hole to post what you don’t sell, in a funny way 🤷‍♂️

Absolutely no problem with that. Just surprising attitude. I just don't have the luxury of being able to ridicule my customers. Not trying to change anyone's business plan, just would avoid places that reinforce the stereotype of the Ahole gun store proprietor. But if it works, then good for the owner.
Try not to project. Your lack of understanding of intent and non-existent sense of humor does not mean your conclusions about the attributes of the shop owner are correct. While on this forum I am not shy about obliterating morons for saying stupid shit, especially about MGL, in my shop I will let my google reviews and the feedback of people on this forum that have ACTUALLY been to the shop speak for itself.

As you are from NH and can't shop in MA, it just goes to reinforce why I blocked your account on NES years ago: running off at the mouth about things you know nothing about. Good day to you.

This is intimidating for first time gun owners and something should be done about it because it is putting us in a bad light to future gun owners, and maybe even women !

First time gun owners should be greeted with a warm welcome and hand being held through the entire buying process because it can be intimidating. This obvious shaming of people that are less than knowledgeable about firearms is doing our whole community a disservice.
I read all your posts in a JP Sears voice.

Try not to project. Your lack of understanding of intent and non-existent sense of humor does not mean your conclusions about the attributes of the shop owner are correct. While on this forum I am not shy about obliterating morons for saying stupid shit, especially about MGL, in my shop I will let my google reviews and the feedback of people on this forum that have ACTUALLY been to the shop speak for itself.

As you are from NH and can't shop in MA, it just goes to reinforce why I blocked your account on NES years ago: running off at the mouth about things you know nothing about. Good day to you.

Man, for someone who puts a sign like that up you have incredibly thin skin.

Someone who purports to use humor then whines about a differing opinion? Only a moron would fail to see the irony and then keep whining...

Btw....you might not be shy about obliterating people. Just not really good at it.

I actually want to Thank, Dean Safety / Crackpot, for explaining the business , time, cost, price , profit. I have never owned a business, I was always military, gooberment, or a Leo. It also helps me understand what I see on Armslist a lot more. My Big question is...... when I can finally get down there, is there anytime time that I would not have to stand in line for 1,2,3 Hours ? That would not work for my back, and I'd be taking pain killers like candy. Lol Paul.

What about the guy in the corner who didn't pay his bill?

Man speaks the truth, tried to give him $50 in transfers Friday night and he told me "No" and referred me down the hall ☹
Sorry @Drix . I hope you found someone else open and able to help with transfers. Early on in Covid I was undisciplined about doing business only during posted hours and the shop became all consuming. I fell behind on everything like logging guns in, my day job, my personal life... So I put strict limits on doing business to posted hours. Sometimes it means walking away from transfers and sometimes large ammo sales, but it lets me pretend I have some balance in my life.

I did not get into this to make money (not complaining about making money but that was not the primary motivator) but for the people and to give the middle finger to Maura. Covid has put serious stress on my ability to spend time with my customers interacting. It feels way to transactional of late. Again, I hope you found someone able to help you.

I actually want to Thank, Dean Safety / Crackpot, for explaining the business , time, cost, price , profit. I have never owned a business, I was always military, gooberment, or a Leo. It also helps me understand what I see on Armslist a lot more. My Big question is...... when I can finally get down there, is there anytime time that I would not have to stand in line for 1,2,3 Hours ? That would not work for my back, and I'd be taking pain killers like candy. Lol Paul.
I wish I could predict line length. Most days we are slammed when we open. It might hit a slight lull a couple hours in or it might not. At its worst it is a 2 hour line and we shut the door and still have customers 1-1.5hrs after closing. Every time MSM reports a shooting or Uncle Joe says something stupid, we get a rush of people.

I think the time we are least likely to have a line is right before we close on Sunday or Wednesday. Hours Wed 2-8, Sat 9-2, Sun 2-6. So small or no line on Sunday at 5 is common. Of course having posted this...

Some customers bring portable chairs.

I like my customers too much to ever sell them a Taurus (or a hi point or a rock island or...)
40 short and wimpy is for FBI agents with limp wrists. Hot 9mm or 10mm or go home.
You can buy shields and the likes at the deli ticket emporium or any other shop in MA.

If this all offends you then just down the hall is Custom Defense Solutions and he will sell you what you want. Every shield my distributor sends me I send to Jason @ CDS as it meets his business model and not mine. That some of you think you get to have an opinion on how I run my business makes me chuckle. You get to decide what shop you go to and I get to decide how I run my shop. Don't confuse the two.

No one at the Mill does this full time. A full time shop is most likely gated by inventory or capital or something. I am gated by TIME, my time. I am open 3 days a week for a total of 15 hours. Essentially for every minute we are open I am busy processing background checks and/or helping customers. This means selling low margin shields that are available at every shop in MA is not a good use of my time. Selling more unique guns which demand a higher $$ margin (though lower % margin) is the right decision since I am completely time limited.

If you are a small shop, open 40+ hours a week and limited by capital (the amount of money you can tie up in inventory) then you want to stock the shelves with Tauruses and Shields. You pay $250 a gun and sell them for $300 each. That means your margin per transaction is $50 but more importantly it is 16.7% (50/300).

If you are time limited and not capital limited you are better off buying more expensive guns that cost $900 each and sell for $1000. Your margin per transaction is $100 but only 10%.

Small shop has no time constraints so doing lots of small transactions at 16.7% is better for his bottom line. They get 16.7% on whatever inventory they buy.
I am time limited and doing background checks literally as fast as I can so $100/transaction is better than $50/transaction. While I only get 10% return on my inventory, I get more $ per unit time.

Small shop measures return on capital.
I measure $ per unit time open.

Different business model therefore different decision about what to stock and sell.

The good news is we tell you upfront you are at the wrong shop before you even walk through the door.
Interesting, I saw that sign on Friday when I stopped in and just assumed you had sold out of all your .40 cal shields, Taurus’s and soup...

I wish I could predict line length. Most days we are slammed when we open. It might hit a slight lull a couple hours in or it might not. At its worst it is a 2 hour line and we shut the door and still have customers 1-1.5hrs after closing. Every time MSM reports a shooting or Uncle Joe says something stupid, we get a rush of people.

I think the time we are least likely to have a line is right before we close on Sunday or Wednesday. Hours Wed 2-8, Sat 9-2, Sun 2-6. So small or no line on Sunday at 5 is common. Of course having posted this...

I must've lucked out. Got there at around noon ( yesterday ) , one person in line out the door. I waited about 10 minutes to get inside and another 10 for the transaction and I was on my way.

That sign has been up for awhile I think, I went with a buddy last month and remember that sign lol. I think it’s funny and I love my Shield 9

Last edited:

There's a great opportunity at the mill if someone wants to get an airline beverage cart and open a tiny coffee shop or snack bar on that level....

Of course some have more profitable endeavors outside the FFL or more enjoyable or just use it to own personal things. but why are 40+ FFLs all part time.

Is it not possible to be profitable full time? I see margins at 16-10% and yes those are terrible margins.

I like my customers too much to ever sell them a Taurus (or a hi point or a rock island or...)
40 short and wimpy is for FBI agents with limp wrists. Hot 9mm or 10mm or go home.
You can buy shields and the likes at the deli ticket emporium or any other shop in MA.

If this all offends you then just down the hall is Custom Defense Solutions and he will sell you what you want. Every shield my distributor sends me I send to Jason @ CDS as it meets his business model and not mine. That some of you think you get to have an opinion on how I run my business makes me chuckle. You get to decide what shop you go to and I get to decide how I run my shop. Don't confuse the two.

No one at the Mill does this full time. A full time shop is most likely gated by inventory or capital or something. I am gated by TIME, my time. I am open 3 days a week for a total of 15 hours. Essentially for every minute we are open I am busy processing background checks and/or helping customers. This means selling low margin shields that are available at every shop in MA is not a good use of my time. Selling more unique guns which demand a higher $$ margin (though lower % margin) is the right decision since I am completely time limited.

If you are a small shop, open 40+ hours a week and limited by capital (the amount of money you can tie up in inventory) then you want to stock the shelves with Tauruses and Shields. You pay $250 a gun and sell them for $300 each. That means your margin per transaction is $50 but more importantly it is 16.7% (50/300).

If you are time limited and not capital limited you are better off buying more expensive guns that cost $900 each and sell for $1000. Your margin per transaction is $100 but only 10%.

Small shop has no time constraints so doing lots of small transactions at 16.7% is better for his bottom line. They get 16.7% on whatever inventory they buy.
I am time limited and doing background checks literally as fast as I can so $100/transaction is better than $50/transaction. While I only get 10% return on my inventory, I get more $ per unit time.

Small shop measures return on capital.
I measure $ per unit time open.

Different business model therefore different decision about what to stock and sell.

The good news is we tell you upfront you are at the wrong shop before you even walk through the door.
You evil free market capitalist you. Don't you know it's more important that random people who will never patronize your business get to tell you how to run your business so that they feel warm and fuzzy and not offended, then for your actual customers to get the products and services they want and pay for. And heaven forbid that you make a profit: That makes you an enabler of systematic racial and social oppression.

Keep it up my good man.

Of course some have more profitable endeavors outside the FFL or more enjoyable or just use it to own personal things. but why are 40+ FFLs all part time.

There's tons of side benefits to running as a dealer part time. A lot of people are by appointment too.

This isn't even that unusual. Well outside of the mill there are dozens of dealers/manufacturers not open at retail, either. Even in mass.

This is intimidating for first time gun owners and something should be done about it because it is putting us in a bad light to future gun owners, and maybe even women !

First time gun owners should be greeted with a warm welcome and hand being held through the entire buying process because it can be intimidating. This obvious shaming of people that are less than knowledgeable about firearms is doing our whole community a disservice.

you left out the kittens and puppydogs.

There's a great opportunity at the mill if someone wants to get an airline beverage cart and open a tiny coffee shop or snack bar on that level....
I agree. If I had a space available on the floor I would make it available for that use at N/C to whoever wanted to manage it. Problem is that when a space comes up it suddenly fills up with FFL tenants. The hallway widens a bit down towards the elevator. Feel free to use that. Also, a large sliding door on the right opens to a grassy "courtyard". Tables and chairs could be put out there in the good weather. If you want to check it out, the key to the door (if locked) is on top of the fire control panel on the left. PM me if I can help with that. Jack.

Back
Top Bottom