Went to Dean Safety at the mill

He would get none of my business. Ridiculing people for their choice of firearm to purchase, as an ffl, is a stupid move.

Unless it was a joke. Then it was funny.
No, its not. It's still funny regardless.

There are like a dozen other dealers only feet from that sign that will sell you all the shields, tauruses and 40s you want.....

My wife likes shields. Admittedly not a serious gun. I should go buy a bunch from his neighbor and walk into his store pretty-woman style.
Funny concept, but, again, they wouldn't care...and would STILL ridicule you ;) Different clientele, massively popular. I've seen people stand in line for almost 2 hours to get in the door.

I love the free market. This makes me want to visit. I’m sure the inventory is much more eclectic and suitable to my tastes anyway. There are a hundred other places to get those things, some in the same building. I will admit that I went through a “phase” in college when I liked .40, but I’m glad to say I’m fully recovered now.

Kinda weird considering how hard it supposedly is getting inventory. You'd think he'd want to sell whatever he can sell! But I'm not an FFL, so what do I know.

There's business realms in this industry (and many others) where moving items like that at retail is actually a waste of time for some people. It's no different than entire scopes of work i reject as a guy who fixes computers. There's a bunch of work which I'd simply rather not even bother with, or it's cost inefficient. Or I don't do it because I'd rather not get into something that potentially/likely leads to a bad customer relationship. Like I literally will not touch a consumer grade laptop unless it's for a friend or family, or a large existing customer twists my arm.... this situation is no different.

I like my customers too much to ever sell them a Taurus (or a hi point or a rock island or...)
40 short and wimpy is for FBI agents with limp wrists. Hot 9mm or 10mm or go home.
You can buy shields and the likes at the deli ticket emporium or any other shop in MA.

If this all offends you then just down the hall is Custom Defense Solutions and he will sell you what you want. Every shield my distributor sends me I send to Jason @ CDS as it meets his business model and not mine. That some of you think you get to have an opinion on how I run my business makes me chuckle. You get to decide what shop you go to and I get to decide how I run my shop. Don't confuse the two.

No one at the Mill does this full time. A full time shop is most likely gated by inventory or capital or something. I am gated by TIME, my time. I am open 3 days a week for a total of 15 hours. Essentially for every minute we are open I am busy processing background checks and/or helping customers. This means selling low margin shields that are available at every shop in MA is not a good use of my time. Selling more unique guns which demand a higher $$ margin (though lower % margin) is the right decision since I am completely time limited.

If you are a small shop, open 40+ hours a week and limited by capital (the amount of money you can tie up in inventory) then you want to stock the shelves with Tauruses and Shields. You pay $250 a gun and sell them for $300 each. That means your margin per transaction is $50 but more importantly it is 16.7% (50/300).

If you are time limited and not capital limited you are better off buying more expensive guns that cost $900 each and sell for $1000. Your margin per transaction is $100 but only 10%.

Small shop has no time constraints so doing lots of small transactions at 16.7% is better for his bottom line. They get 16.7% on whatever inventory they buy.
I am time limited and doing background checks literally as fast as I can so $100/transaction is better than $50/transaction. While I only get 10% return on my inventory, I get more $ per unit time.

Small shop measures return on capital.
I measure $ per unit time open.

Different business model therefore different decision about what to stock and sell.

The good news is we tell you upfront you are at the wrong shop before you even walk through the door.

My wife likes shields. Admittedly not a serious gun. I should go buy a bunch from his neighbor and walk into his store pretty-woman style.
Except that it is a serious gun and very capable. Barely any margin on them though for a seller. So FSguns makes money on volume for them.

His sign is totally fine. He doesn’t want to sell those things and is letting people know before they go in. What’s the problem with that?

This is intimidating for first time gun owners and something should be done about it because it is putting us in a bad light to future gun owners, and maybe even women !

First time gun owners should be greeted with a warm welcome and hand being held through the entire buying process because it can be intimidating. This obvious shaming of people that are less than knowledgeable about firearms is doing our whole community a disservice.

I like my customers too much to ever sell them a Taurus (or a hi point or a rock island or...)
40 short and wimpy is for FBI agents with limp wrists. Hot 9mm or 10mm or go home.
You can buy shields and the likes at the deli ticket emporium or any other shop in MA.

If this all offends you then just down the hall is Custom Defense Solutions and he will sell you what you want. Every shield my distributor sends me I send to Jason @ CDS as it meets his business model and not mine. That some of you think you get to have an opinion on how I run my business makes me chuckle. You get to decide what shop you go to and I get to decide how I run my shop. Don't confuse the two.

No one at the Mill does this full time. A full time shop is most likely gated by inventory or capital or something. I am gated by TIME, my time. I am open 3 days a week for a total of 15 hours. Essentially for every minute we are open I am busy processing background checks and/or helping customers. This means selling low margin shields that are available at every shop in MA is not a good use of my time. Selling more unique guns which demand a higher $$ margin (though lower % margin) is the right decision since I am completely time limited.

If you are a small shop, open 40+ hours a week and limited by capital (the amount of money you can tie up in inventory) then you want to stock the shelves with Tauruses and Shields. You pay $250 a gun and sell them for $300 each. That means your margin per transaction is $50 but more importantly it is 16.7% (50/300).

If you are time limited and not capital limited you are better off buying more expensive guns that cost $900 each and sell for $1000. Your margin per transaction is $100 but only 10%.

Small shop has no time constraints so doing lots of small transactions at 16.7% is better for his bottom line. They get 16.7% on whatever inventory they buy.
I am time limited and doing background checks literally as fast as I can so $100/transaction is better than $50/transaction. While I only get 10% return on my inventory, I get more $ per unit time.

Different business model therefore different decision about what to stock and sell.

The good news is we tell you upfront you are at the wrong shop before you even walk through the door.

Not offended and actually found the sign funny. I'm just surprised that you would ridicule other gun shoppers. Your business, your rules. Not up for debate. Actually admire your commitment to being a dick!

If true, kinda weird considering how hard it supposedly is getting inventory. You'd think he'd want to sell whatever he can sell! But I'm not an FFL, so what do I know.
I have no problem getting inventory even in these challenging times. In fact I supply inventory to many other FFLs at the Mill since I get more than I want or can use or guns I dont want (shields). It will never be the case that I will sell whatever I can get. As I explained I am always time limited so picking the RIGHT inventory to have and sell is important. Being in a niche is better than competing with every other shop in the state.

Speaking of which, what are your days and hours?

Okay, I can understand this. Like I said, I'm not an FFL. Even so, I still like my "Glock 40's"!

It's always hilarious when people who don't own a business think they can tell someone who does own a business how they should be running it. Why even bother going to that specific shop at the mill if all you want is some average cheap gun that's available from any other store in the state?

This is intimidating for first time gun owners and something should be done about it because it is putting us in a bad light to future gun owners, and maybe even women !

First time gun owners should be greeted with a warm welcome and hand being held through the entire buying process because it can be intimidating. This obvious shaming of people that are less than knowledgeable about firearms is doing our whole community a disservice.
I recommend you contact AG Healey and ask her to hold another press conference. I am sure something can be done about it.

I will just leave you with one of my Google reviews for reference:

"I was there for a general transaction that went smoothly as expected.

My review is prompted by the experience I witnessed of a brand new shooter next to me trying to purchase his first handgun. The information provided to him was thorough and accurate. It’s refreshing to see an FFL that is on top of every detail. This provides comfort and confidence to new shooters.

Not only was the information top notch - he was given access to 5 or 6 different models to hold and test out to make sure he gets the perfect gun for him. It’s great to see an FFL taking as much time needed to give the customer a great customer experience.

Looking forward to going back."

"THOU SHALL NOT FIND FAULT WITH MY TENANTS". Jack.
What about the guy in the corner who didn't pay his bill?

I like my customers too much to ever sell them a Taurus (or a hi point or a rock island or...).

Man speaks the truth, tried to give him $50 in transfers Friday night and he told me "No" and referred me down the hall ☹

Except that it is a serious gun and very capable. Barely any margin on them though for a seller. So FSguns makes money on volume for them.

His sign is totally fine. He doesn’t want to sell those things and is letting people know before they go in. What’s the problem with that?

Absolutely no problem with that. Just surprising attitude. I just don't have the luxury of being able to ridicule my customers. Not trying to change anyone's business plan, just would avoid places that reinforce the stereotype of the Ahole gun store proprietor. But if it works, then good for the owner.

Good group guys in that room. I went in there pretty blind the first time and they took good care of me. Oddly enough I went there strictly to not look at the items on that sign but I didn't even notice the sign until I left. It's like something magical led me to them.

Back
Top Bottom