• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Went to condition 0 zero today

Status
Not open for further replies.
Minor point, but I always make it a point to have my cash/wallet put away before I start moving. The less people who see you fumbling around with a roll the better.

I mean, none of us were there to see the situation, so I won't join the people implying you overreacted, but here's a few hopefully constructive comments:

1. One of the two most dangerous manipulations you do with a firearm is drawing (the other is holstering). This is especially true for pocket carry, where your holster might be marginal and you can snag on all sorts of cloth. As such, if your firearm has a light enough trigger to require a safety, disengaging it before you do this manipulation is not a good habit. I get that most Shield triggers arn't 3# 1911 triggers, but why do bad habits?
2. Touching a gun, and manipulating a control, is provocative. It's an aggressive action if someone sees it. And people who know guns will sometimes notice and it's hard to say how they'll interpret it if they do. I know with pocket carry it's right there, and pockets are innocuous, and sometimes you just stick your hand in there casually.... I'd suggest it's best to not to do so when thats your holster unless you're really within moments of deciding to use it.

I hate the drive through.
I was already committed to the teller.
It was a decent chunk of change, although the teller knew me, wasn't I would get one that knew me, and I feel weird asking for that much through the drive through.
It was one where she had to re-count, and get an over-ride from the manager type transactions.
:)
Whatcha buying??
Also, sell the gun with the safety. If gun comes out, it’s going bang! Also, should have capped the foreigner in the vestibule. Teach that POS some manners.

Your safety should come off, only when the gun is coming onto target. Accident waiting to happen, just my opinion, take it for what it’s worth.
I you practice enough, it will be automatic. Unless you planned on shooting through pocket, in which case you would probably only get off one shot.
Glad all was ok.

Yeah, if it was a actual bad guy, any movement outside the norm drew his attention to you. Get a good holster, I can't imagine anywhere I'd have a gun just sitting in my pocket. Blah blah blah, it's a dumb idea, I don't care what you 'pocket holster' people say.

Whatcha buying??
Also, sell the gun with the safety. If gun comes out, it’s going bang! Also, should have capped the foreigner in the vestibule. Teach that POS some manners.

Theres vids on liveleek of guys getting shot in the vestibule. It's not pretty, you know you're pissing in a bag forever after that.

The answer is Glock,one big enough not to fit in the front pocket.

Luv my 1911, but feel short on capacity when carrying it., and have to be thinking about 3 steps ,draw, flip slide safety down , don’t shit pants till later.o_O

Last edited:
I mean, none of us were there to see the situation, so I won't join the people implying you overreacted, but here's a few hopefully constructive comments:

1. One of the two most dangerous manipulations you do with a firearm is drawing (the other is holstering). This is especially true for pocket carry, where your holster might be marginal and you can snag on all sorts of cloth. As such, if your firearm has a light enough trigger to require a safety, disengaging it before you do this manipulation is not a good habit. I get that most Shield triggers arn't 3# 1911 triggers, but why do bad habits?
2. Touching a gun, and manipulating a control, is provocative. It's an aggressive action if someone sees it. And people who know guns will sometimes notice and it's hard to say how they'll interpret it if they do. I know with pocket carry it's right there, and pockets are innocuous, and sometimes you just stick your hand in there casually.... I'd suggest it's best to not to do so when thats your holster unless you're really within moments of deciding to use it.

The vast, vast majority of pistols that have manual safeties do not have match-grade triggers. A Walther PPK + PPK/S has like an 18-20lbs DA first trigger pull and the decocker doubles as a safety. The "safest" way to carry one would be to have the safety engaged and thus the hammer down.

Even 1911s and other SAO guns don't normally have light triggers. My BHP has about a 7-8lbs trigger. Other BHPs I've shot have higher trigger pulls. The average 1911 has a 6lbs-8lbs trigger pull.

I practice coming onto target and swiping the safety with the 1911 quite a bit. Same with the AR15.

That being said I love a J frame snub nose.

Under sever life and death pats shitting stress your motor skills degrade about 80-90%, even with a ton of training. Only those of us from the deepest parts of the gene pool seem to stay perfectly composed under pressure. Most of us sheepdogs ARE NOT Ding Chavez.

why do you carry a gun with a safety on? seems like an unnecessary extra step to me if you need it...

...xenophobe.

A well designed pistol, the safety should almost 'automatically' come off as you draw, AKA 1911. I don't even think 'I have to click the safety', it's just a natural movement as part of the draw. It's not a terrible idea considering 99.99999999999999% of 'you' won't ever really draw and fire. The average person is more likely to ND than draw and fire to stop a threat, unless you go out after midnight. Nothing good ever happens after 9 pm.

A safety stops stupid, unless you are really stupid. (we all have our moments).

Reactions: DPR
In my personal experience, I have always been taught by instructors to carry with the safety off...at least w/striker fired pistols. Some of my striker fired pistols don't even have safeties to begin with.

now...my 1911 E Series...totally different story. i can't believe i carried that gun for as long as i did.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom