Went Hiking in NH and saw this sign....

I was hiking at Bear Brook State Park and came across this sign after walking down a trail for 1 hour. Being the law abiding citizen that I am, what the hell! Does anyone know the legality of this, I'm carrying a pistol not a rifle but it doesn't seem to matter.

photo.JPG

Yup. That's what 212:17 says.

212:17 Penalty. – Any person found upon a state game refuge, except as may be permitted under RSA 212:15, or upon any land under the control of the executive director, which has been established by him as an area for the propagation of game, having in his possession a loaded firearm, shall be guilty of a misdemeanor.

For that law to be constitutional, it would have to have self-defense exceptions (ie; carrying for possible self-defense) and any honest judge would read it that way. I would love to see a judge who wouldn't when the violation is in Bear Brook State Park. It would also be fightable on those const. grounds, but obviously you never want to play defense.

There are all sorts of stupid hunting laws. If it is a state park...odds are with the budget cuts there would not be a ranger danger to see you. I would unload it and carry, and if a bear starts munching on your leg....you can see how fast you can reload!

I was coming back down the mountain trail at mohawk state park once, and unloaded because I was getting too close to the campground and it was past dusk. Sure enough, a little further down the trail is a BIG black bear rooting around in the leaves. It was a fast reload! Made a few sounds, bear looks up and hightails it out of there.

Last edited:
I was driving on I-93 or I-95 when I saw one of these signs posted along the highway this past week. [There was also a sign where we "exited" the Game Refuge along I-93/95.] I'm guessing that the highway goes thru the Refuge and they wanted to let you know that fact.

Maybe they expect you to unload and lock it up while driving 65mph?? [shocked]

The sign and the law doesn't make that distinction. It is "have gun, will prosecute".
The sign opens up with "Hunting is Unlawful", just walking in the woods with a loaded firearm is not hunting. Especially if it's a handgun that does not meet the minimum requirements for a "hunting handgun".

Is a crossbow considered a firearm? How about a muzzleloader? How about a compound bow? All these can be used for hunting, but if they aren't considered firearms...

The one place where you might need to blast a bear in the face for attacking you and you can't have a gun. Stop the planet I want off.

From the mindset of the Mass EPO that spoke at our Hunter Safety course, the definition of "hunting" is quite broad, if they want it to be.

If you're in the woods. with a gun, then you're hunting. Or, at least, that's the theory that they're operating under.

Those guys are best to avoid in the woods! They are always a PITA

I camped on the Kangamangus this past weekend near the N. Conway side and never saw signs like this. The camp host said they have bears, a coyote, and a few raccoons. That's why I brought a 1911 with couple mags of Ranger 230-grain T-series.

Well just in case of bear that is.

From the mindset of the Mass EPO that spoke at our Hunter Safety course, the definition of "hunting" is quite broad, if they want it to be.

If you're in the woods. with a gun, then you're hunting. Or, at least, that's the theory that they're operating under.

It's amazing how "for sporting use" can be applied to shotguns when it favors the lawmakers, but the same can't apply to a CCW permit holder's concealed handgun.

Back
Top Bottom